New Shirt - "I could see how we could help them pretty quickly"

11 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

1503465508849.jpg

"He connected me to Sheffield's chief operating officer Joe Palmer and I could see from afar their problems - I could see how we could help them pretty quickly"

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/canberra-life/canberras-on-the-go-sports-to-kitout-english-football-team-sheffield-wednesday-20170821-gy0ph9.html

Embarrassing.  He had to coldcall his services after seeing Palmer and SWFC do a faceplant.

Wow.  This joke isn't funny anymore.  It's more than a bit pathetic, really.

I like to imagine that there are only 18 prototype shirts and after every game one of the players (on a rota system) has to collect everyone's shirts and take them home for some Daz/Persil action. Look closely and you'll see the player numbers are actually velcroed on so Carlos can change the squad without needing extra shirts. Genius bit of money saving that must be doing wonders for our FFP situation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, millomowl said:

Evening / morning all, 

just picking up this thread mid morning here in Canberra. So I’ve dealt with Mick Spencer in the past on a professional basis locally. All good on that front, that wasn’t for any of his goods so don’t know anything about the quality of what they produce. I was also talking to a mate who’s in the same industry here who supplies education mainly about the Wednesday situation, he reckons that Spencer has gambled massively on taking this on within his agreed timescales ( which are now overdue) 

Enclosed below is what I put to him

on LinkedIn a fortnight ago. His reply is in there aswell so putting the ball back into the swfc commercial area to get an ETA on pricing / delivery. 

Personally I think it’s terrible from the club that as of now 4th October shirts are only being manufactured.

Lets see what happens from here in....

WAWAWA07D1AD9-5D8B-4A01-99B4-9DD184F9B069.thumb.jpeg.222d12baafb25d86b46c04939be8c93c.jpeg

I've not been massively impressed with Mick Spencer's responses to questions.

I get that he's in a tricky or embarrassing or even frustrating situation but his replies always seem to be as vague and as 'pass the buck' as possible.

Would be good for him to offer up some kind of explanation as to what exactly is going on

Owlstalk Shop

Our order was more than the whole company made 2 years ago.

We were the lab rats for his company to test their limits of capacity.Can't blame the guy for taking it on.

If you want a virtually guaranteed result you go to somewhere tried and tested ,especially in such a special year.

If our original supplier doubled their price late on then we didn't do a great job of getting contracts signed for the original price.

2 minutes ago, MrTacoSWFC said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again.. we should have got the shirts from the original sourced supplier.. I'm sure regardless of the price increase a profit was still to be made with every shirt sold.

At one point in recent times I think Sheffield Wednesday were paying £4 per shirt to buy them in.

Owlstalk Shop

I can understand Mr C perhaps not being up to speed with tactics and signings, but the commercial wee wee tail ups baffle me. If he hasn't the time available to sort it out himself, which is quite understandable,  then surely he has the contacts to get someone in. It is the one area we have not improved on as a club and I thought it would be his strongest suite.

We should NEVER have entered a business deal with a small, unproven company who were nowhere near the size required to kit out an international customer (team) within the time frame we had available. This is solely on a VERY POOR business decision by the club management; there are so many other companies out there and the humiliation and travesty of the current deal must be far more damaging to the Sheffield Wednesday brand / product than a slightly more expensive kit deal with an established manufacturer (Adidas, Puma, NIKE, etc. etc.)

Really shameful!

23 minutes ago, N0rtherner said:

We should NEVER have entered a business deal with a small, unproven company who were nowhere near the size required to kit out an international customer (team) within the time frame we had available. This is solely on a VERY POOR business decision by the club management; there are so many other companies out there and the humiliation and travesty of the current deal must be far more damaging to the Sheffield Wednesday brand / product than a slightly more expensive kit deal with an established manufacturer (Adidas, Puma, NIKE, etc. etc.)

Really shameful!

Problem is, there really aren't that many sportswear companies that have their own manufacturing plants to deal with such a capacity.

The "we should have Nike/Adidas/Puma" argument is a little bit of a smokescreen because whichever big manufacturer you go with, the product largely all comes from the same three or four manufacturing plants in Turkey and the middle east (Indeed there are plants that will do all the kit for one of the big kit companies for one team, then just change over the settings and set it to run the next batch for another of the big kit companies for another team - whichever kit manufacturer you go with, the kit is often made by the same people and machines in the same place! The difference is only in the design and the cut mostly.).

This leads you to another problem: booking capacity on the lines. As you can imagine, so many of the world's teams entire kit stock running through the same factory lines means that you have to finalise your design and book in ASAP. The later you leave it, the later you'll get your kit. In the past, to get the kit for May/June you had to look to have your design finalised and booked in for November/December (and the production then would go to a slot in April/May - that's how far out the booking goes - and where Wednesday have fallen down in the past and booked too late sometimes). You then have a choice of how to ship - through air or sea freight (air being quicker but more expensive). 

When, as a club we ditched a mainline 'kit manufacturer', we lost access to the pretty much the only large-scale regular kit manufacturing plants in the world, because those big-name manufacturers book the ones that exist out pretty much fully months and months in advance. So, we have to look for smaller scale manufacturers with their own plants - many of which will struggle with such a big order (for retail) in such a short timeframe, which means getting in much earlier in any case - thats why my alarm bells started ringing when the previous 'deal' collapsed as late as this Spring just gone - it should all have been done and dusted and we should have been in production well in advance of then in a small-scale plant anyway, so we were bound to have major delays.

Of course, I don't know the full ins-and-outs, or what OnTheGo's capacity actually is (or the previous manufacturer which fell through), but it doesn't feel like good preparation on the club's part to me and the buck should reasonably stop there.

Edited by DeeJayOne

It would of been interesting to see the breakdown in numbers of the original offer before it all went to crap earlier in the year before OTG came in. At the end of the day OTG got wind of us at a Brumbies game here in Canberra via a contact who put him onto Joe Palmer so as a business owner Mick Spencer naturally reached out to potentially provide a solution. He got the gig but now things are over running for delivery - we will see exactly how long it takes!

I've found this on the OTG site in relation to price:

https://www.onthegosports.com.au/sites/default/files/otg-cut-customiz-price-list.pdf

It's on page 4 - QTY only goes 100+ units so I would hope that Wednesday's buy price is much lower. This may give us some indication of what we might expect to be paying. These prices are in Australian Dollar.