Fernando Forestieri - where does he fit in now?

DKLMv1-XcAA1Gqm.jpg-large.jpeg

FERNANDO FORESTIERI 

You should never really change a winning side but we all know Carlos is always open to a bit of mix and match after a solid win and pays no attention to that particular rule.

With Fernando Forestieri recovering after his stint in hospital it now means we need to look at where he will slot into the side.

Personally I'd not simply shove him back in at the expense of any of the players who beat Leeds United. I'd stick with a winning team until changes are needed. (same goes for Wildsmith vs Westwood).

Owlstalk Shop

Guest gizowl

At rightback if hunt is out, seriously give him a chance to get back to full fitness, he could give us the extra dimension in the second half of the season, when he is at his best theirs nothing better in the championship. 

If the same question was asked after the United game the answer would have been 'anywhere he likes'. When we get him back he's a great option to have - it'll be interesting to see how Carlos handles his re-introduction, as he wasn't in favour prior to his injury due to behavioural issues. 

I think this is more about where we are as a team when he becomes available . It's going to be mid Dec at the earliest. If things are still going well for Hoops & Fletch I can't see a starting place for him unless he's prepared to play wide left. Even if fit he wouldn't have changed the outcome of the derby.

If we could get 12-14m for him for him I'd say thank you very much and target a young pacey winger.

Seeing as you asked so nicely...

Up front?

Month after month in 15/16 and 16/17 I droned on about how unsuited the Hooper-FF partnership was. Goals dry up for Hooper, goals dry up for FF, and as a consequence the team stop scoring. In their 25 partnerships FF has 3 goals, and Hooper 5. Compare that to the goal-fest that is Hooper-Fletcher.

As an opposing manager if you want to stop the wonderful free-scoring Hooper, and the mercurial free-scoring Forestieri, it's easy....persuade Carlos to play them as a front two and Bobs your uncle. 

Not one of us would leave Hooper out. Carlos should always play two out and out strikers. So FF should never start up front. 

Wide left?

Definitely.

I wont trot the stats out, but our Goals For and Points are off the scale when he plays left. A few posters think he lets us down defensively, but the evidence says otherwise. Our Goals Against stays the same when he plays left. The only argument that carries even the slightest merit is that over a season he might let us down defensively. He might! It hasn't happened, but it could.

Knockaert played wide every game. Ince played wide every game. They scored less per game from wide than FF. Jota has 5 in 10 for Wolves from wide left. Last season the other Jota scored 12 in 21 from wide left for Brentford. Our superb free-scoring, terrifying wide player plays only a quarter of his season in his most profitable role, then gets stuck central with a pair of 6'3 thugs up his jax.

Would he want to play wide left? Don't know, don't care. He should be told it's his role and if he complains there is the transfer-list and a healthy profit.

So for me, Reach LB, Forestieri LW. Have faith and balls. Knockaert, Ince and the Jotas prove that a high quality winger is worth his weight in gold, home and away, match after match. We have got one, we should play him.

• Like 1

Left side of a front 3 diamond after 65mins.

Wild / West

Palmer      Lees    Loovens    Reach

Butterfield

Lee                  Bannan

Hooper

Fletch                    FF

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

You should never really change a winning side but we all know Carlos is always open to a bit of mix and match after a solid win and pays no attention to that particular rule.

With Fernando Forestieri recovering after his stint in hospital it now means we need to look at where he will slot into the side.

Forestieri will be back from injury and simply bolster our squad and options; the players playing Leeds won't always have their day, be in top form, etc. and that's why you need a big, versatile squad to last the whole Championship season.

I have my doubts that he will be fit and ready for selection when the Bolton game comes around a week on Saturday. By the time he is ready for selection, the win against Leeds will not have much impact on selection. Best wait until then and see how things have panned out. It could even be that we end up pushing him back too early just to put out a team knowing how things roll at Hillsborough!

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Up front?

As you know. I'm in full agreement about FF not playing up front. Unless it's in a three.

But...This year as Carlos has more and more used a more obvious diamond.....there might be a way to get the best of both worlds.

If FF plays up in a diamond with Hooper behind ...but is given instruction to drift wide left and open up the space and drag the opposition back line around...but without having to track...as Bannan is in theory the 'left' sided player. That would be the only way I think it would work...

TrueOwl has saved me getting my crayons out.

31 minutes ago, TrueOwl said:

Left side of a front 3 diamond after 65mins.

Wild / West

Palmer      Lees    Loovens    Reach

Butterfield

Lee                  Bannan

Hooper

Fletch          |          FF----------->

v

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Up front?

Month after month in 15/16 and 16/17 I droned on about how unsuited the Hooper-FF partnership was. Goals dry up for Hooper, goals dry up for FF, and as a consequence the team stop scoring. In their 25 partnerships FF has 3 goals, and Hooper 5. Compare that to the goal-fest that is Hooper-Fletcher.

As an opposing manager if you want to stop the wonderful free-scoring Hooper, and the mercurial free-scoring Forestieri, it's easy....persuade Carlos to play them as a front two and Bobs your uncle. 

Not one of us would leave Hooper out. Carlos should always play two out and out strikers. So FF should never start up front. 

Wide left?

Definitely.

I wont trot the stats out, but our Goals For and Points are off the scale when he plays left. A few posters think he lets us down defensively, but the evidence says otherwise. Our Goals Against stays the same when he plays left. The only argument that carries even the slightest merit is that over a season he might let us down defensively. He might! It hasn't happened, but it could.

Knockaert played wide every game. Ince played wide every game. They scored less per game from wide than FF. Jota has 5 in 10 for Wolves from wide left. Last season the other Jota scored 12 in 21 from wide left for Brentford. Our superb free-scoring, terrifying wide player plays only a quarter of his season in his most profitable role, then gets stuck central with a pair of 6'3 thugs up his jax.

Would he want to play wide left? Don't know, don't care. He should be told it's his role and if he complains there is the transfer-list and a healthy profit.

So for me, Reach LB, Forestieri LW. Have faith and balls. Knockaert, Ince and the Jotas prove that a high quality winger is worth his weight in gold, home and away, match after match. We have got one, we should play him.

Keep up the good work Holms - Your informative/statistical posts are the best on here by a mile. Love reading them

Evan without the stats to support it, i've always been of the opinion that FF is wasted up front. He doesn't get into the game and is crowded out. His best position is wide left by a mile. He face up full backs and get at them where as if he plays through the middle, he gets clattered with his back to goal. We totally nullify his threat when we play him centrally. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Think he’d do a great job at the tip of the diamond, just behind Fletch and Hooper. 

Fit, motivated etc., he could be lethal in that position. 

I have a feeling he'd get in the way.  Which I know might sound a bit harsh.

But I couldn't see him making late bursts like Lee does. I think he'd just be 'up there' rather than 'arriving there'. 

If you know what I mean. 

On the bench until fully fit and firing,.. Then either wide left at home otherwise tip of the diamond. Wouldn't want to meddle with the Hoops /Fletch partnership. If you can check back to pre Preston that was what I wanted us to start with that at Preston, we didn't and we got that debacle, enough said. Fletch n Hoops are much more adept at dealing with the physical nature of the championship CB's. 

Tip of the diamond for me....

Westwood

Lees          Loovens    

Hunt                                                 Reach

Hutch

Lee                            Bannan

Fessi

Hooper             Fletcher 

31 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I have a feeling he'd get in the way.  Which I know might sound a bit harsh.

But I couldn't see him making late bursts like Lee does. I think he'd just be 'up there' rather than 'arriving there'. 

If you know what I mean. 

Perhaps. 

No chance I’d drop Lee for him. 

Perhaps Wallace? 

Certainly has a role to play if he wants it.