Trains from Bolton

I'm thinking of getting the train to Bolton (Horwich) but onward connections on the return could be tight.

Has anyone experience of getting on the train from Horwich to Manchester Piccadilly after the match?

Are there loads waiting? Big queues? Possibility of having to "miss this one and get the next one"?

1 minute ago, Tamworthowl said:

Bit late for me that one. I need to be on the 18:35 out of Manchester, preferably earlier, otherwise I'm on the expensive train via Brum.

I was wondering whether there would be any trouble getting the 17:26 from Horwich

Timewise you'll be fine as it's only a few minutes walk from the stadium.

Don't know how busy it gets though if you have to queue to get on the platform as you do for places like Villa and Brighton.

19 hours ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Last time I went to to Bolton the train platform was packed full of Wednesday, and the train ride back was like being a tinned sardine, going to wait a bit longer this time, go for a drink and wait for it all to blow over.

Thanks for this info.

Im guessing it'll be the same Saturday. My concern is if a bit of control is put in place to prevent over crowding on the platform, and on the trains. This might mean waiting an extra half hour at Horwich to catch the later train (putting on extra train for football fans? as if that's a priority!) meaning I miss the train I need out of Manchester.

I think I'll drive.

Victoria's no good. 

I guess most Wednesday fans want to get to Piccadilly, so will get the 17:26. If I don't get on the 17:26 (I know the station is two minutes from the ground) I'll be cutting it fine for the train from Manchester. There are few options unless I want to pay double.

8 hours ago, Tamworthowl said:

Victoria's no good. 

I guess most Wednesday fans want to get to Piccadilly, so will get the 17:26. If I don't get on the 17:26 (I know the station is two minutes from the ground) I'll be cutting it fine for the train from Manchester. There are few options unless I want to pay double.

If youre planning on the 1835 out of Manchester could you not go to Victoria and then walk round to Piccadily - youd have about 45-50 minutes between trains. Or get that free shuttlebus??

Thats enough time to walk round. And squeeze in a pint en route.

2 hours ago, Tamworthowl said:

I've no idea where Victoria is, but if there's a free shuttle to Piccadilly and it's quick and frequent, that should be ok. I'll give it another thought.

Pretty central really - about 15 mins walk round to Piccadilly at normal walking pace.

There's a free shuttle bus according to this but not sure how reliable it is. Maybe someone on here based in manchester can confirm? - http://www.tfgm.com/buses/Documents/Metroshuttle-Infosheet.pdf