Justice for Wildsmith

9 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

Very pleased with wildsmith as our keeper, and if we had sold Westwood, I'd be more than happy to run with him and Dawson as our keepers.

But anyone suggesting that the league's best keeper should be dropped have smoked some seriously dangerous baccy. Westwood is going straight in at #1 when fit, and rightly so.

If Westwood attracts a silly offer (£3m+) in summer, then cash in and promote wildsmith up to first choice. But not before then.

That's a silly offer, yes. Not in the way you've portrayed it though.

£3m for the best keeper in the Championship?! That's peanuts in today's market.

£8m MINIMUM.

4 minutes ago, OwlofOliveGrove said:

That's a silly offer, yes. Not in the way you've portrayed it though.

£3m for the best keeper in the Championship?! That's peanuts in today's market.

£8m MINIMUM.

He's 33.  You will never get a large fee for him however good he is.  If he was 23 then fair enough.

Edited by Etchesketch

1 hour ago, WAWAWUTO17 said:

Wildsmith is a fantastic keeper and his distribution is better than Westwood. However he won't be number 1 until he learns to command the area. He was a bit hesitant coming out for the ball yesterday. 

More games in the first team should help with that, so hopefully he will feature more often.

His distribution yesterday was noticeably better than we get from Westy.

Westwood's distribution is awful for a 33 year old keeper, why he's never rectified that part of his game i'll never know. His injury may turn out to be a blessing in disguise, hopefully Joe will grab this opportunity with both hands

Westwood has been our most consistent performer EVERY SEASON since he joined. That's absolutely remarkable for any player in any position, much less one for whom a dodgy night often equals a team loss.

That being the case, he's more than earned the right to underperform once or twice, as costly as it can be for us.

Very happy to have Joe waiting in the wings, he'll certainly step up in the coming years if we can hold on to him, but Westy still first name on the teamsheet for me when he's fit.

(Ok, maybe second after KL, but y'know.)

Great to have such a good YOUNG goalkeeper coming through though, they're often pretty anonymous figures until their late-20s.

Don't want to praise him too highly cause he can play at the top level in a Wednesday shirt if he is patient. Excellent ability. Westwood also has, he's made a few mistakes but I still love him, been absolutely superb for us. Anyone can make mistakes x

I have to admit having had my reservations re Joe, but he had a solid game yesterday and will have gained good experience playing in front of 4,600 Leeds fans at the Leppings Lane end. He looked much more decisive about coming out than on occasions in the past and his distribution is certainly more accurate and quicker than that of Westwood. Is Keane still on the books? 

10 hours ago, lairyowl said:

Spoilt for choice as Cameron Dawson is also excellent

As are the lads in the youth teams apparently. 

Bar the odd clanger - brad Jones, Ola tidman - we've never struggled for decent keepers.

14 hours ago, james o connor said:

He doesn't go straight back in for me because he's been very poor this season. You play who's on form . If wildsmith is no better then fair enough, but if he has a stormer next couple of weeks then he keeps his place for me

Wouldn't have an issue with that, give Westwood a little extra time to get fit.

But dropped altogether for wildsmith? No chance, if I was putting our best 11 together Westwood is always in goal.

As someone else said earlier, It's not a drama which one plays though - both are excellent keepers.