I am a big fan of Barry Bannan he is superb in the short pass and move game that teams like Barcelona play, he would probably be a sensation In a midfield and system with similar midfield players. 

The big problem we have been deploying him too deep, where he picks up the ball from defence and has to try the long range passes, also although he has bundles of energy, he doesn't have the physical stature to bee winning tackles and breaking down attacks.

Barry was superb on Sunday, I agree he needs to play more in the opponents half as he is not as effective when playing too deep.

Some truly quality moments of premiership standard against Leeds, that turn was spectacular. the highlight being his salute to the club when he was pumping the badge on his shirt and thanking fans when he went off.

I thought Bannan had a slow start Sunday. He had a few moments in the first half but chewed Reach's ear off after leaving Reach to defend the whole of the left wing on his own and played two really awful balls to make Reach have to run back towards his own goal with a winger and fullback running after him. After a break in play Banan had obviously been told to work harder and supported Reach a bit more on the defensive side and also stepped up his game. 

I thought Bannan had a much better second half, although he rarely gets his head over the ball when he shoots and somehow managed to hit the post from just behindthe penalty spot with a good chunk of the goal at his mercy (having said that, the same could be said for Hooper's effort against the bar and Hooper had a fantastic game otherwise).

If Bannan could be more consistent from game to game and within games, we could really start to take teams apart, but I believe that this is more likely to happen if Bannan has a bit more assistance creativity wise. Hopefully as Butterfield starts to come into games more and more Bannan will feel less pressure on him and play his natural game more and more and the consistency will come. 

1 hour ago, hugeowl said:

Never in any doubt , the only problem was Carlos playing him deeper . 

All the nutters on here accusing him of Pirouetting , Hollywood balls , Neshing tackles . Hiding clearly know fckall 

You say that, but last season Bannan gave the ball away a lot in midfield trying to showboat and was often left chasing players who were more powerful than him as they made their way towards our goal. He has cut a lot of that silly play out of his game this season and has got back to playing effective football rather than trying to win praise from the stands by just getting away with not losing the ball in a critical part of the pitch. 

Having said that he did play Reach into trouble twice on Sunday, after chewing Reach's ear off presumably for criticising Bannan's lack of defensive work. Luckily that eventually got put right, without us conceding a goal, but you cannot praise a player blindly for only the good things that they do, it has to be a balanced display that also considers the bad things they do also. Bannan is a brilliant player for us, but needs to come onto the pitch more often in the frame of mind he was in against Forest, when he came out battling from the start and up for a game before we go a goal behind. As our main source of inspiration we look very limited when he has a slow start or is off his game, so the arrival of Butterfield in Abdi's continued absence could be very, very important for us this season. 

20 hours ago, Watson said:

What a guy!

Brilliant today 

Was superb.

Thouh I have to say that for my money , with the possible exception of Preston, he's been in the top two players every week this season.

He had a rough time last season, I don't think helped by the fact that for some reason he was playing 15 yards deeper than necessary. 

Though even then he never went hiding as some players do. 

He still kept demanding the ball and trying to make things happen even when the groans echoed down from the stands. 

Yesterday he was great. It's another in a long run of excellent displays this season.  If he can keep this up for the rest of this hehe campaign this heheheh he must be in with a shout for P.O.T.Y.  along with the magnificent Hooper. 

Some of their one touch stuff yesterday was a joy to watch.

He is a much better player when he plays the ball quickly and moves.

Last season, and to a point this season, he has spent too much time thinking about the perfect pass and slowed the game down.

On Sunday, he showed how the team can benefit by moving the ball quickly.

20 hours ago, Think tank said:

I'm not his biggest fan, but he was a class act today! Best performance I have seen from him! Still can't shoot though! :biggrin:

He certainly can shoot, it's just that the ball doesn't necessarily,  go where it's intended to go !!!!!

lol 

I liked him in his 1st season, but last year I thought he was dire and didn't deserve his place. Him and Loovens slowed the game down so much that you could go for a *** and a pee and come back and they were still passing to each other. Further up the field, he's doing far better and I like him again, but as I've said earlier in the thread he needs to practice shooting and he needs to be less arrogant with Reach, he blames Reach at every opportunity but in reality he's playing him into bad positions and doesn't help him defensively.

Mind you that's why he aint in the higher division.