Van Aken

3 minutes ago, roundhayowl said:

This guy is a centre mid. Very good on the ball but defensively poor from what I have seen. Jones is ok when there is no pressure (lile the majority of today's game) but in general he isn't up to scratch. Van Aken could be a very good player in this role I reckon.

totally my thoughts exactly,never going to be a good centre half imo,comfy on the ball tho

I think he could play the hutch role and hutch should play CB once fit. Hutch's qualities are tackling/agression/battling and doing this at CB means he is more disciplined and will hopefully get injured less. Van Aken has already shown he has a great range of passing (something Hutch and Jones don't) but should have the positional sense to sniff out danger being a CB by trade.

1 minute ago, vulva said:

Said before, would be ideal in a back 3. Not sure he is ready for this level, defensively, just yet. Regularly plays teams onside, as he doesn't push out quick enough. 

Excellent prospect though. 

Was going to post similar, defensively a bit wobbly the last 2 home game, but he will improve with games and coaching. Our midfield does leave him exposed at times too.  

3 minutes ago, vulva said:

Said before, would be ideal in a back 3. Not sure he is ready for this level, defensively, just yet. Regularly plays teams onside, as he doesn't push out quick enough. 

Excellent prospect though. 

I'd agree with this.

Re playing teams onside- what seems to be happening is the attacking player is standing in an offside position, but then Van Aken is dropping back and playing  him onside, rather than leaving him there. It seems a pretty basic thing to fix, but I noticed it a few times today.

Edited by RUMBELOWS91

6 minutes ago, Wath-owl said:

So much potential, but for now he definitely needs a fair bit of work on the training ground to improve his defensive positioning.

Loovens will hopefully come straight back into the starting lineup when fit to give the lad a break.

Exactly this. Needs to tighten his game defensively. Gave them three gilt-edged chances today. By contrast, Lees was watertight.

He has bags of potential, but not ready yet.

The raw materials are there but hes a long way short at the moment there is no point sugarcoating it, he got very lucky today and at birmingham. He s gifting the opposition a couple of goal scoring chances a game. 

Hopefully with loovens and hutch back soon he can be used sparingly and spend the rest of the season learning the game but the signs aren't great if we are honest for the money we've spent. Its hard to believe the portuguese lad could have been any worse had the game time van aken has had. He cant half pass a ball though.

Talented. Got bags of ability and there aren't many center halves at this level who can ping it about like he does. 

Defensively looks suspect and a bit rash. 

Give him time though and we may have a very good player on our hands. 

21 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

That wild swing before Lessoga hit the post showed a lack of confidence after a strong start. 

He needs a screening midfielder ahead of him to protect him as he commits himself when exposed. Either SH or Butterfield could do it.

Just needs more games imo.

25 minutes ago, roundhayowl said:

This guy is a centre mid. Very good on the ball but defensively poor from what I have seen. Jones is ok when there is no pressure (lile the majority of today's game) but in general he isn't up to scratch. Van Aken could be a very good player in this role I reckon.

We were saying he looks like he'd be great on the left of a back 3 where he'd have a bit more chance to play. I also think Hutch could do the right side of a 3. It's hard to criticise after today but there are times when you want Van Aken to get tighter and put a foot in. 

4 minutes ago, ramone said:

We spend 4 million on one of Europes highly rated young CB's and already, after 4 games, some people want to move him into midfield 

Because he looks like he would be a good midfielder...and he looks a dodgy CB at the moment who will cost us more goals.

He's looking shakey defensively after a pretty assured start no doubt. So far that aspect of his game I've been disappointed

But that said, there have times where Lees has been looking suspect too in the last 2/3 games, so I think we should avoid jumping to too strong an opinion just yet. I'd say both CB's need to step up in their defensive roles over the next couple of games and prove themselves to be what they're fully capable of being- one of the best pairings in the division