Back to basics

Guest Deleted member

Guest Deleted member

I'd go back to Pudil, Loovens, Lee and Hunt. And stick with it unless injuries dictate otherwise. 

WithWestwood in the net. 

Yes we've had a bad week, coupled with losing to them lot, it hurts more. But we were doing well until then. Van Aken hasn't settled in well, after the initial flourish.  It seems like others are covering for him leaving us vulnerable.

"Get back to Basics".

Yes, like learning how to tackle properly

How to head a ball defensively, Height and distance, not trying to pass the ball.

Move the ball quickly.

How to cross a ball.

These are the basics we need to get back to.

Hunt cannot defend if he is so high up the pitch.

Pudil the same.

I agree we need to have a settled defence, some thing we have not had a lot of since Senor CC came to the club.

We need to realise we are a middle of the Table Championship club, at this moment in time, do we really have to try and play a European style?.

We need Physical strength in midfield, to stop Teams from bullying us.

These are the basics.

Edited by adelphi1867

Pudil is not the answer against leeds very decent wide men.

Hunt has apparently been very poor in the last two games.

For me, It's time to bring in Joao and Hutchinson, in place of Jones and Fletcher. I'm 50/50 on van aken, loovens knows his stuff and might just settle everyone down.

It's not a personnel problem in my opinion it's a Tactical one. 

Yes let's go back to basics and stop asking players to do the jobs that others should be doing on the pitch. Stop asking fullbacks to be wingers. 

Stop asking defenders to be creative midfielders. 

Stop asking forwards to sit in our 18 yard box to defend. 

Let the players in their respective positions do the age old job that position is supposed to do its an age old tried and tested formula of who plays where and their role on the pitch. 

So in short DEFINITELY let's go back to basics. 

Edited by shezzas left peg
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

"Get back to Basics".

Yes, like learning how to tackle properly

How to head a ball defensively, Height and distance, not trying to pass the ball.

Move the ball quickly.

How to cross a ball.

These are the basics we need to get back to.

Hunt cannot defend if he is so high up the pitch.

Pudil the same.

I agree we need to have a settled defence, some thing we have not had a lot of since Senor CC came to the club.

We need to realise we are a middle of the Table Championship club, at this moment in time, do we really have to try and play a European style?.

We need Physical strength in midfield, to stop Teams from bullying us.

These are the basics.

You forgot to mention getting more than a couple of shots on target. 

3 hours ago, Grandad said:

Ah. You missed the bit about unless injuries dictate otherwise

They have dictated otherwise and it was common knowledge before you wrote unless injuries dictate otherwise so it's a but of a pointless thread but hey ho.

I think it's time to get back to basics, but also it's time to make some big decisions.

For me, it's back to the basics in the sense, we ask defenders to defend first and foremost, and attackers to attack. By that I mean, play full backs who can defend, and wingers who look to attack.

For me, the players who aren't performing, need dropping. And the main one is Tom Lees. I simply don't agree with dropping Van Aken, because he's the new lad. Lees has performed far worse than him lately, and he's suppose to be the leader. Drop him, and bring Loovens in. And if we'd got a right back to replace Hunt, I'd say drop him...but we haven't. So it's as you were there. Kieran Lee has been woeful in the past two games, he drops out for me. Same goes for Reach.

It's time for players to be given a shock...and they need to know, poor form won't be tolerated. 

Against Leeds, you go with:

Wildsmith 

Hunt

Loovens

Van Aken

Fox/Pudil

Wallace

Butterfield

Bannan

Joao

Hooper

Fletcher

A solid base of that back four and Butterfield and Bannan playing as a double pivot, should allow Wallace, Hooper & Joao all to flourish given the freedom to attack, and supply Fletcher. 

Play like that, and we match Leeds up. They play with two industrious central midfielders (not stellar names) and allow their four front men to focus on attacking. As a result they've been exceptionally solid for the most part, and devastating on the counter at times. 

2 hours ago, frastheowl said:

I think it's time to get back to basics, but also it's time to make some big decisions.

For me, it's back to the basics in the sense, we ask defenders to defend first and foremost, and attackers to attack. By that I mean, play full backs who can defend, and wingers who look to attack.

For me, the players who aren't performing, need dropping. And the main one is Tom Lees. I simply don't agree with dropping Van Aken, because he's the new lad. Lees has performed far worse than him lately, and he's suppose to be the leader. Drop him, and bring Loovens in. And if we'd got a right back to replace Hunt, I'd say drop him...but we haven't. So it's as you were there. Kieran Lee has been woeful in the past two games, he drops out for me. Same goes for Reach.

It's time for players to be given a shock...and they need to know, poor form won't be tolerated. 

Against Leeds, you go with:

Wildsmith 

Hunt

Loovens

Van Aken

Fox/Pudil

Wallace

Butterfield

Bannan

Joao

Hooper

Fletcher

A solid base of that back four and Butterfield and Bannan playing as a double pivot, should allow Wallace, Hooper & Joao all to flourish given the freedom to attack, and supply Fletcher. 

Play like that, and we match Leeds up. They play with two industrious central midfielders (not stellar names) and allow their four front men to focus on attacking. As a result they've been exceptionally solid for the most part, and devastating on the counter at times. 

Agree with all said bud. Though as we've both alluded to maybe the reasons certain players have been pretty bad is be ouse of the points mentioned above. And as for K Lee came back in looked good, then got shoehorned out wide right and wide left,this is probably why he's not been good since, it's not his game or area where he can affect things / be effective. 

Joao scores one goal and now everybody wants him in the team.we need to sort out left hand side out and make ourselves more solid as having bannan, Lee or a cen mid there leaves us exposed as hell, and no surprise mistakes have come with cen backs being so wide apart from each other neither can pick up a man running through

20 minutes ago, Bring Back Beni said:

Joao scores one goal and now everybody wants him in the team.we need to sort out left hand side out and make ourselves more solid as having bannan, Lee or a cen mid there leaves us exposed as hell, and no surprise mistakes have come with cen backs being so wide apart from each other neither can pick up a man running through

Joao offers a different edge. Aside from Hooper, and maybe bannan and Lee, I'd say everyone else shouldn't be guaranteed a shirt.

I also think Joao offers a bit of pace and running, we'll need that against leeds.

Full backs should sit tight. This is not the game for them to go marauding out of position. It's also not the time to change to 3 at the back, although I still think that's the best option with the players we have.

Wildsmith

Palmer, loovens, lees, reach

Hutchinson

Wallace, bannan, Lee 

Hooper, Joao 

If we could go 3 at the back..

Wildsmith 

Lee's, loovens, van aken 

Hunt, Hutchinson, bannan, Lee, reach

Hooper, Joao

5 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Been saying it for a long time but I really wish we had improved on our full backs over the summer. 

A strange one. Another one of those baffling enigmas of the last 3 seasons.

We ship so many goals from that area, but we've never improved on what we have.

10 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

Pudil is not the answer against leeds very decent wide men.

Hunt has apparently been very poor in the last two games.

For me, It's time to bring in Joao and Hutchinson, in place of Jones and Fletcher. I'm 50/50 on van aken, loovens knows his stuff and might just settle everyone down.

Agree with Joao-pacey option out wide. He was a winger before he came to us. Hutch at RB or even Lee would be a alternative to Hunt. Whatever the line up, hope we try and go for it. Otherwise we will get bummed!