Any obviously or available managers worth getting in?

I think the owls manager from October to the end of the season should be ..

Carlos Carvahal.

Any one else coming in would probably want to rebuild, and we'd spend millions more without doing any better.  

5 losses in the last 19 games I think, including one on penalties and a game where we made 10 changes.  

Don't see anyone who could do better.  

For what it is worth, sacking Carlos could be counter productive. On one hand it could bring in a new manager who manages to mould and shape a team that is a better fit to the players that Wednesday already have, and also bring an upturn in form, but on the other hand he could be forced in to 3 months working with a squad of players that he has inherited and players who might already to be happy to coast on their contracts knowing that they are picking up their money no matter what results they get, and that is a poor culture to have at a football club, and one i fear might already be prevalent at S6. At this stage of the season it is a huge gamble to take. 

I think if Wednesday did sack Carlos then i think the biggest mistake they could be drawn in to is appointing another foreign manager, as is the fashion among a lot of aspiring Championship club, and there is a definate trend emerging where rich foreign owners who are investing a lot of money in the hope of gaining a Premiership place appoint relatively unknown foreign managers who lack experience in this division. 

I think the best candidates that Wednesday could appoint would be either Dean Smith, or promote Lee Bullen from within the club. Both have big Wednesdayite connections. Smith has got a proven track record of producing teams that get decent result, although he is going through a bit of a lull at Brentford. With FFP i think they would both have enough nous and connections within the game to get a lot more value for money than Wednesday are getting at the present time. For a leftfield candidate, Nigel Clough could also be a very shrewd appointment for Wednesday, knows the Division well and he could well prosper with you lot, although his turgid style of football wouldn't be very attractive on the eye.

The biggest problem i think that Wednesday have is the man at the top. Chansiri. He had some initial success but looking in from the outside he has either made some very poor mistakes, or sanctioned some poor mistakes to be made. He came in to Hillsborough with plenty of money but a total lack of the nuances of running a successful club, and it has slowly become more telling since sunday.

This is just the view of an outsider looking in

44 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Dean Smith or Heckingbottom might be decent choices. 

They’d be exactly my two preferences. They both play the right kind of football and their current clubs punch above their weight. Perhaps because their resources are limited, they seem to have developed the knack of moulding together teams that are more than the sum of their parts.

I would avoid most of the normal suspects. Out of work managers tend to be out of work for a reason, and a lot of the names regularly circulated have been around the block a few too many times for my liking. I’d prefer to get the right manager in, even if they’re currently contracted to someone else, than make a panic appointment just because someone is available.

1 hour ago, royalowlisback said:

Bullen, does well up to Xmas give it him full time - if not replace when window re-opens.

I believe he has a 100% record when in charge on the touchline lol. Joking aside, (or maybe it isn't a joke!) I would get rid of CC after Saturday no matter what happens (far too many false dawns) and give it Bullen to season's end. Maybe we'll get the Shakespeare Effect? No massive upheaval, and probably even more importantly at the moment ,no huge outlay on a 'name' manager. Then take it from there. 

Edited by Almat

Can't say Middlesboro's 'fewest goals in the league' under Karanka makes me excited by the prospect of having him in charge.

Moyes is a decent shout. No question he knows what he's doing from a decade at Everton. Man Utd was a garbage heap that Mourinho has only just sorted out now, after hundreds of millions being thrown at it  by him and van Gaal. Sociadad was a brave choice, and no shame in not doing great in a new league in a new language. While at Sunderland he had a terrible squad with no support from the boardroom.

I think we'd suit him as well. Some Scots under the bonnet already, opportunity to create a big club, relatively low profile (press has had knives out for him a bit lately. Championship is out of the way a little and promotion would earn him a bit of respect back with the journos).

Alternatively, Derek McInnes at Aberdeen. Sunderland wanted him, but he saw it was a sinking ship.

Dean Smith's a decent option, he seems to know what he's doing, but i guess the big question is that while he seems to be great at looking after young players, does he have the nous to work with internationals and the higher pressure of a big club like Wednesday. When Carlos first came in he was a master of being relaxed and at ease and he was really good at handling the press and rolling with the punches.. but clearly it's take its toll on him now and he's struggling a bit with the pressure of the job. Dean Smith's never had to deal with it at all. Wednesday is a massive step up from Walsall and Brentford, with all due respect. All that said, he tries to play good football and he seems like a decent guy.

15 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Can't say Middlesboro's 'fewest goals in the league' under Karanka makes me excited by the prospect of having him in charge.

Dean Smith's a decent option, he seems to know what he's doing, but i guess the big question is that while he seems to be great at looking after young players, does he have the nous to work with internationals and the higher pressure of a big club like Wednesday. When Carlos first came in he was a master of being relaxed and at ease and he was really good at handling the press and rolling with the punches.. but clearly it's take its toll on him now and he's struggling a bit with the pressure of the job. Dean Smith's never had to deal with it at all. Wednesday is a massive step up from Walsall and Brentford, with all due respect. All that said, he tries to play good football and he seems like a decent guy.

Agree with your view on Karanka. To me, he's just another Carlos; turgid and risk adverse. Granted he got Boro promoted, but that style just didn’t work in the Premier League. And the fact he had some sort of very public falling out with his squad worries me.you need

I hear what you’re saying about Dean Smith, but I think sometimes you need to give bright young managers the opportunity to step up and prove themselves at a higher level, otherwise you’ll never know what they’re capable of. The Blunts took a chance, and it seems to be working out for them, so far. I think we need to get away from the idea that only a big name appointment will work for us.

1 hour ago, bash said:

For what it is worth, sacking Carlos could be counter productive. On one hand it could bring in a new manager who manages to mould and shape a team that is a better fit to the players that Wednesday already have, and also bring an upturn in form, but on the other hand he could be forced in to 3 months working with a squad of players that he has inherited and players who might already to be happy to coast on their contracts knowing that they are picking up their money no matter what results they get, and that is a poor culture to have at a football club, and one i fear might already be prevalent at S6. At this stage of the season it is a huge gamble to take. 

I think if Wednesday did sack Carlos then i think the biggest mistake they could be drawn in to is appointing another foreign manager, as is the fashion among a lot of aspiring Championship club, and there is a definate trend emerging where rich foreign owners who are investing a lot of money in the hope of gaining a Premiership place appoint relatively unknown foreign managers who lack experience in this division. 

I think the best candidates that Wednesday could appoint would be either Dean Smith, or promote Lee Bullen from within the club. Both have big Wednesdayite connections. Smith has got a proven track record of producing teams that get decent result, although he is going through a bit of a lull at Brentford. With FFP i think they would both have enough nous and connections within the game to get a lot more value for money than Wednesday are getting at the present time. For a leftfield candidate, Nigel Clough could also be a very shrewd appointment for Wednesday, knows the Division well and he could well prosper with you lot, although his turgid style of football wouldn't be very attractive on the eye.

The biggest problem i think that Wednesday have is the man at the top. Chansiri. He had some initial success but looking in from the outside he has either made some very poor mistakes, or sanctioned some poor mistakes to be made. He came in to Hillsborough with plenty of money but a total lack of the nuances of running a successful club, and it has slowly become more telling since sunday.

This is just the view of an outsider looking in

Bullen?....jesus wept.

1 minute ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

I hear what you’re saying about Dean Smith, but I think sometimes you need to give bright young managers the opportunity to step up and prove themselves at a higher level, otherwise you’ll never know what they’re capable of. The Blunts took a chance, and it seems to be working out for them, so far. I think we need to get away from the idea that only a big name appointment will work for us.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that he probably deserves a shot at a club that really does have the resources to go up, I just think he's the riskier option, for the reasons stated. I certainly wouldn't be unhappy if we took that risk tho.