Brian Laws

vulva

What we need is someone to get us out of this league, and that person would not necessarily be the best man to manage Sheffield Wednesday. There is a subtle difference. Gone are the days where you appoint a manager with the intention of creating a 25 year dynasty. Increasingly I think managers are recruited to 'do a job' at that particular time.

Keane would have an impact, and inject a winning mentality. I don't think he would last 3 years, but then I wouldn't want him to. 

Despite all this, the absolute stand out choice is Nigel Pearson. 

Guest Copthorneowl
11 minutes ago, vulva said:

Disagree. I know a couple of players that have played under him, and they speak very highly. 

And don't fall for the media hype. A lot of what he says is for effect. 

In his first season at Sunderland he took over when they were bottom 3, and they ended up winning it. He will have learnt an awful lot under O'Neill, who is also no mug, and would have taken Keane to Villa or Eire if he wasn't up to it. 

Totally understand where you're coming from ..when first at Sunderland (his first job) initially he was brilliant picked them up took them up and was a hero but it didn't last and eventually he became aggressive, confrontational and left the club because he was apart from unpopular also struggling to keep em up.

He went to Ipswich again started by picking the up making them potential champions and then ended up being very unpopular and again getting the boot. My issue is he can't remain even handed and in control, same with McCarthy and the Ireland World Cup squad had to be sent home after savaging MMc and the rest of his coaching team.

Yep you're spot on he's great as a number two with O'Neill but I personally think that's his only role now no club has wanted him since those days although I can't say with any certainty that he's tried to manage alone.

Do you really think he could work as DC's manager I don't not in a million years those two would just not be a fit DC has no footie knowledge but demands to rule wow fire in the making --- but hey ho we all have opinions.

sensible post, apart from the managers highlighted to take over!

Carlos is my favourite manager of my life time, that first season was a breath of fresh air and I still felt he was the man to lead us last season. I've never looked into the Huddersfield matches too much, people think we should of beat them but they were there for a reason and we were penalties away.

I want him to do the right thing and walk instead of being sacked, would be a shame to see.

As for new manager I am desperate for Karanka. He has things to prove after Boro and I think he can get the best out of this squad.

Some of the namesgetting thrown around tonight are abysmal, evans? sheridan? pardew? I know times are tough but cmon now.

2 minutes ago, Copthorneowl said:

Totally understand where you're coming from ..when first at Sunderland (his first job) initially he was brilliant picked them up took them up and was a hero but it didn't last and eventually he became aggressive, confrontational and left the club because he was apart from unpopular also struggling to keep em up.

He went to Ipswich again started by picking the up making them potential champions and then ended up being very unpopular and again getting the boot. My issue is he can't remain even handed and in control, same with McCarthy and the Ireland World Cup squad had to be sent home after savaging MMc and the rest of his coaching team.

Yep you're spot on he's great as a number two with O'Neill but I personally think that's his only role now no club has wanted him since those days although I can't say with any certainty that he's tried to manage alone.

Do you really think he could work as DC's manager I don't not in a million years those two would just not be a fit DC has no footie knowledge but demands to rule wow fire in the making --- but hey ho we all have opinions.

DC is obviously the key factor here, and has no track record on managers. I don't think for a minute he 'found' CC, and my guess was that he was guided by the likes of Doyen etc. Don't forget we had the farce of Mark Cooper for a while. 

Absolutely anything could happen here. We could well end up with a complete unknown from the Ukraine, just because he interviews well. As per my OP, I worry who is helping out here. 

Just now, vulva said:

DC is obviously the key factor here, and has no track record on managers. I don't think for a minute he 'found' CC, and my guess was that he was guided by the likes of Doyen etc. Don't forget we had the farce of Mark Cooper for a while. 

Absolutely anything could happen here. We could well end up with a complete unknown from the Ukraine, just because he interviews well. As per my OP, I worry who is helping out here. 

As Grandad said the other night, the club is in a very precarious position right now. If DC plays his next move incorrectly then comparisons to the likes of Forest and Blackburn may not be too far off the mark. All we can do is cross our fingers it works out for the best. 

1 hour ago, vulva said:

I think it's now time for a change, and the situation reminds me very much of Laws departure. Think we'd lost 3-0 at Leicester, and we all,knew it was the end. Both great blokes, and both did, and have done a very good job. Re Carlos, we were so sodding close, and that makes it harder. 

I said a while back it was a head and heart thing with CC. After the Huddersfield match I'd have sacked him, however as the summer went on I thought it was the right decision to give it one more year. It's his squad, and by all accounts the players wanted him to stay. Looking back, maybe that's the issue. Maybe Carlos is too nice, and the players too comfortable.

We needed a flyer, and better recruitment. We've had neither, and to give ourselves any chance this year, we need a change. Now. 

Who we get, anyone's guess. I worry about who is helping (if anyone) DC with football decisions. This process could be a car crash. Someone like Howard Wilkinson needs to step up to the plate, if possible, in some kind of advisory capacity. 

Personally I think we need a change in direction. A 'method' manager, proven at this level. I'd like to see Mick McCarthy with better players and a bigger budget, and we could be that option. I do think there was some mileage in that Pardew story in the summer, and it would not surprise me at all if he is DC's number one choice. 

My choice, which will be controversial, would be Roy Keane. Proven at this level, and people forget the job he did at Sundeland. No nonsense approach, which is exactly what this squad needs, right now, and has spent the last 3 years learning his trade under O'Neill. I like the bloke. He's a winner, and has something to prove. 

Agree with most of that but can't be having Roy Keane, great player but a flipping terrible manager