MARTIN HODGE PLAYER OF THE YEAR 1986

A Great Goalie! 85/86 season.Outstanding goalkeeper, saved 5 penalties, brilliant performances, matched Neville Southall, who was the best goalkeeper in the country,at the time, his heroics at Derby County in the 5th round Fa cup should go down in Wednesday folklore, he just missed out, in a place on England MEXICO 86 WORLD CUP SQUAD, And always had time to sign autograghs at the Young owls sports hall. MARTIN HODGE WEDNESDAY LEGEND! XXimage.png.24c8e29e3a77e05048b6275cc340de7e.png

• Like 1

I used to see Hodge and 3 or 4 others in the bookies. I was skint and used to bet 10p and 20p, spending ages pouring over form (fancy me looking at stats eh?).

The door would open, Hodge would rush in during a break in training, look up at which dog race was next, choose a dog quickly, pull out £20, bet, lose, and leave.

I remember once seeing him win, and the £100 or so handed over seemed like millions to me in those days.

Terrific goalie. Massively under-rated, and in most eras would have had several England caps. 

Guest Deleted member
1 hour ago, zico.b said:

Brilliant at times.

Does he still hold the record for most consecutive appearances? A ridiculous number of 250 or something?

31 minutes ago, jamsandwich said:

i remember the WorldCup86 talk clearly - its probably some of my earliest football memories. Didnt Garry Bailey from ManU go in the end?

My first replica kit was Hodgeys goalie shirt (with padded elbows) from 86

An injured Gary Bailey went to Mexico86, Martin Hodge was on stand by

35 minutes ago, jamsandwich said:

i remember the WorldCup86 talk clearly - its probably some of my earliest football memories. Didnt Garry Bailey from ManU go in the end?

My first replica kit was Hodgeys goalie shirt (with padded elbows) from 86

My first replica kit too. Loved the guy. Always remember him doing that thing where goalkeepers mark out the width of the goal by scuffing up the 6 yard line accordingly. Think it has been outlawed now.