Bottling the big games

Certainly is a pattern here.

We have never been able to deal with teams that have more strength than technical ability.

you have to earn the right to play and we can't do that for any significant period in a game, especially first halves.

As much as i've said he is now sounding like Wenger he also seems to fall in all the same traps as Wenger.

Desperately loyal to some players when change needed and a side that gets bullied easily.

Brighton play-offs we got lucky with their injuries and 2nd leg could have been 4-0 down in 15 minutes.

So only the bigger Newcastle games he's done really well in and that was without much expectation.Wilder's and Warnock's teams certainly never lose through bottling it.

3 minutes ago, sMacLean said:

As much as i've said he is now sounding like Wenger he also seems to fall in all the same traps as Wenger.

Desperately loyal to some players when change needed and a side that gets bullied easily.

Brighton play-offs we got lucky with their injuries and 2nd leg could have been 4-0 down in 15 minutes.

So only the bigger Newcastle games he's done really well in and that was without much expectation.Wilder's and Warnock's teams certainly never lose through bottling it.

Totally agree re the Brighton games.

i wouldn't put the Newcastle games in the same category, as they weren't make or break.

The Huddersfield games were a definite fail, as was today (not make or break in a season sense, but as a derby game they are)

Obviously the play off final

was a fail.

The Cardiff game to get us into the play offs should be seen as a plus in big games to be fair.

Overall, not good when it really, really matters.

6 minutes ago, pgmetcalf said:

You only just noticed this? I noticed it into his 6th game as manager and it's not just big games either, we are a very nervy team

I went to the Ipswich away game when Carlos first came in with my uncle in the home end.Their fans said after 25 minutes they thought a drubbing was coming and that we were a Prem team in waiting.

Then we stopped playing 2nd half and lost.Their fans were utterly bemused at why we stopped playing and retreated.Almost as if a short spell of showing what we could do was vindication enough to the team and result didn't prove anything.Maybe they get taught that.

Like getting back to 2-2 today felt as if the early part of the game was all forgiven and didn't really count anymore.

A nervy team indeed and bottlers as the thread suggests.

42 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Starting to become a trend under CC.

Why he won't take us up. 

Absolutely no excuses there today. They were more up for it. 

I think we've got a few players in the squad who struggle to cope with the pressure games as well. I'm not sure if its related to losing in the playoffs twice or not but it is a worry. 

2 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

I think we've got a few players in the squad who struggle to cope with the pressure games as well. I'm not sure if its related to losing in the playoffs twice or not but it is a worry. 

They look burnt out and mentally scarred in big games.Terrified of the ball and the crowd.Hunt absolutely loses it under pressure every time i've seen him.Imagine we get play-offs again, we've lost before we've got on the pitch.

5 minutes ago, sMacLean said:

I went to the Ipswich away game when Carlos first came in with my uncle in the home end.Their fans said after 25 minutes they thought a drubbing was coming and that we were a Prem team in waiting.

Then we stopped playing 2nd half and lost.Their fans were utterly bemused at why we stopped playing and retreated.Almost as if a short spell of showing what we could do was vindication enough to the team and result didn't prove anything.Maybe they get taught that.

Like getting back to 2-2 today felt as if the early part of the game was all forgiven and didn't really count anymore.

A nervy team indeed and bottlers as the thread suggests.

good points and true. We don't maintain momentum. The first 10 mins of the second (again) was a joy to watch, but we just stopped. If we don't score in these 'periods' of play we struggle.

Successful teams don't this and i'm wondering whether it's CC's tactics, which i was convinced was the case last season, or the players just don't have enough energy to maintain it.

1 minute ago, Animis said:

good points and true. We don't maintain momentum. The first 10 mins of the second (again) was a joy to watch, but we just stopped. If we don't score in these 'periods' of play we struggle.

Successful teams don't this and i'm wondering whether it's CC's tactics, which i was convinced was the case last season, or the players just don't have enough energy to maintain it.

Their third goal knocked the stuffing out of us.

Just now, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Their third goal knocked the stuffing out of us.

yes it did, but it should have been a temporary hit - we had 20 mins to respond.

I maintain that the team can not play for 90mins at a good and consistant level and the brief 10min spells we have are crucial to our success. Failure to score in these and we're done.

We should have had another 10min spell from 70min onwards to at least give us a chance. We didn't at that is a mental and physical issue for me. Good teams don't give up.

I want to know where our "experienced" big time Charlie's were today. Westwood, Lees, Hunt, Reach, Bannan, Lee, Jones, Wallace and Fletcher. Van Aken had a mare but I put that down to his inexperience of the Championship. Hooper was the only one to come out with any credit and Joao did well when he came on.

That midfield was carved open time after time and it shows that this is an area of great weakness. 

Been saying it for a while now, we are just too static, point being today when Wallace had the ball in the first half on the halfway line, there was no movement in front of him so had to pass it back to Lees and then he (Wallace ) just promptly stood there with his hands on hips instead of moving in to space. Football is really a simple game when you pass and move but we just seem to pass and then stand there admiring it. The pigs did it to us today,  Brentford did it the other week. We have got to try and get back to the tactics we played in the first season under Carlos. 

I agree with Carlos taking the blame because just like Wembly the players were not prepared properly for a big game. Bannan and several others are not naturally big game players and our whole approach for these types of games is too low key. Bullen should do the pre match pep talk and get the players fired up for games likes this which are totally different to normal games and require players to be up for it. The start of every game we are not up for it and today we had to go two down before players started to dig in. After our equaliser we should have been keeping the ball, keeping our shape and then killing them off but we let them take the initiative by leaving a huge space to attack, which they took and finished well.

As much as Carlos & Bully are at fault for not firing the players up for these games, we had 2/3rds of the possession and had the same number of shots on goal with only two on target to their 7. That points to poor finishing from our players and great finishing from theirs. So the players and coaches all let us down today. Thanks lads.

Dreading l**ds now.