First half tactics

58 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Can someone explain to me what our tactics were in the first half?

I couldn't make out the shape of the team, what the plan and tactics were supposed to be etc

Anyone do better than me at looking at this one?

Give it Hunt, pass to united, defend / watch.

The answer is the tactics first half were predictable. 

As they so often are.

That said so we're Uniteds. 

Anyone who has seen them for two minutes this season knew we had ro match them in midfield.

Predictable tactics. 

Predictable performance. 

Outplayed by a unit made up of players that complement each other and a manager that has chosen a system which also gets the best out of them.

Predictable. 

Carlos is a reactive manager, said in the build up that we get poor results v new teams/managers and again this is the case. Possibly part of the reason we dont play in the first half, set up to contain and have a look at the opposition before forming a game plan after HT.

We tried to play our normal pass pass game but United were on us in a flash first to every ball. 

This is why I was hoping Hutchinson would have been fit as he and Jones could have just sat in front of that back 4 and calmed everything down.

Our urgency to want to push up and play attacking football today has actually cost us. As defence didn't know whether to push up or stay back and all of them did it at different times.

Carlos's normal boring away tactics actually would have been good first half as we would have had more of a solid base to defend from.

Second half we gambled by taking off the only player shielding the back four in the hunt for goals and it back fired and we left gaps everywhere.

Hutchinson and Loovens are not everyone's cup of tea. But we're exactly what we needed today in the atmosphere of a derby and up against a very well drilled unit in sheff utd.

if tactics had included waking up and getting out of bed we may just have been at the races , but having a lie in like most weeks we were caught flat footed  and on todays scenario on the pitch then  promotion is a hell of a lot further away than we realize

Edited by trevdi9