3 games, 2 derbies, 1 week

Guest The Horse

Guest The Horse

Although at the moment it feels like nothing else matters beyond Sunday, we do have a busy week ahead:

- Sheffield derby against the scummers
- Brum away with caretaker manager and potential honeymoon period
- Yorkshire derby against another set of scrubbers who are flying high

Now, we've had play offs under Carlos but this is probably about as tough set of games he's faced since being here.
We'll need character, team spirit and all our quality to get through these games and still be in the hunt for promotion.
No doubt we'll have to rotate the squad a bit as well.
After which, we can all take a bit of a breather.

So, question is - what is acceptable points return and what do we see the team being over the next week?
Seven points would be good.
Five acceptable? Can the same team play three times in a week?
Over to the forum...

I think 5 would be acceptable. It would leave us unbeaten in 10 in the league and about where we are now in the table.

Seven would be great, 6 would be a good return (2 points a game is never to be sniffed at) but the worry would be which game we would have lost!

Sunday will be tough. More expectation and pressure on our players- we are marginally underperforming so far, they are hugely exceeding expectations. They are a well organised, effective team (ignore the individual names, they are performing well as a unit) and if we were facing any other team that have had their start we'd probably be saying a point wouldn't be a bad result. Having said that, I'm quietly confident we may be peaking just as their PSI is dropping! 

Birmingham are there for the taking- great time to go there, especially if it's on the back of a derby win.

Leeds have started brilliantly, but we've seen teams do that before (Forest three years ago, Reading two years ago) and fade away. I can see that happening to Leeds.

They're all winnable, but there's danger in every fixture in this division.

This is what it's all about though. It's not long since we were constantly looking over our shoulders and trying to put distance between ourselves and the drop zone, so weeks like this one are to be enjoyed, not dreaded.

Each game needs to be judged on merit.

I've come away from victories thinking we didn't deserve it, i've come away from losses cursing luck and the officials.

Heart has to always say go for victory every time, and i'm sure we will.   I'm equally sure we have at least one slip up in us, new guy needs to get some fans on his back yet for starters - he's doing too well at the moment for a Wednesday player!

21 minutes ago, Geosword said:

Although at the moment it feels like nothing else matters beyond Sunday, we do have a busy week ahead:

- Sheffield derby against the scummers
- Brum away with caretaker manager and potential honeymoon period
- Yorkshire derby against another set of scrubbers who are flying high

Now, we've had play offs under Carlos but this is probably about as tough set of games he's faced since being here.
We'll need character, team spirit and all our quality to get through these games and still be in the hunt for promotion.
No doubt we'll have to rotate the squad a bit as well.
After which, we can all take a bit of a breather.

So, question is - what is acceptable points return and what do we see the team being over the next week?
Seven points would be good.
Five acceptable? Can the same team play three times in a week?
Over to the forum...

Agreed tough week ahead. But have faith in the lads. We've improved immensely since the first couple of lacklustre performances. Smash the pigs, Beat the zulus while they're still sorting out their managerial problems. Dirty weeds could be tricky but winnable. In my opinion 9 points but then again I'm wearing blue & white glasses

Guest The Horse
28 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

I think 5 would be acceptable. It would leave us unbeaten in 10 in the league and about where we are now in the table.

Seven would be great, 6 would be a good return (2 points a game is never to be sniffed at) but the worry would be which game we would have lost!

Sunday will be tough. More expectation and pressure on our players- we are marginally underperforming so far, they are hugely exceeding expectations. They are a well organised, effective team (ignore the individual names, they are performing well as a unit) and if we were facing any other team that have had their start we'd probably be saying a point wouldn't be a bad result. Having said that, I'm quietly confident we may be peaking just as their PSI is dropping! 

Birmingham are there for the taking- great time to go there, especially if it's on the back of a derby win.

Leeds have started brilliantly, but we've seen teams do that before (Forest three years ago, Reading two years ago) and fade away. I can see that happening to Leeds.

They're all winnable, but there's danger in every fixture in this division.

This is what it's all about though. It's not long since we were constantly looking over our shoulders and trying to put distance between ourselves and the drop zone, so weeks like this one are to be enjoyed, not dreaded.

Agree with this.
Almost!
I'm going with seven.
Think we'll be too savvy for the blunts' bluster and just pick them off with cool efficiency.
I genuinely think Brum will be the hardest one. Good players and a new (sort of) manager in front of a passionate crowd. Still expect us to tough it out for a draw.
Leeds are all fur coat and no knickers. No defence. Attack them and we will win easy.

Guest Twitterowl
11 hours ago, Geosword said:

Agree with this.
Almost!
I'm going with seven.
Think we'll be too savvy for the blunts' bluster and just pick them off with cool efficiency.
I genuinely think Brum will be the hardest one. Good players and a new (sort of) manager in front of a passionate crowd. Still expect us to tough it out for a draw.
Leeds are all fur coat and no knickers. No defence. Attack them and we will win easy.

Leeds have conceded 3 goals in their opening 8 games. 

Certainly does not sound like a team with "no defence".

Jansson & Ayling would slot straight into our team with ease. 

All weeks are tough in the championship and this week may be as tough as it gets with the added pressure two derbies bring. The fact that they are at home makes me more confident of a decent return as our home form is a big reason for the Top 6 finishes the last 2 seasons.

Birmingham will be tough for obvious reasons but we've got to go there positively but it could be a bit of after the Lord Mayors show depending on how Sunday goes. Lee Carsley as a few have already said could have an honeymoon period but Birmingham have struggled badly for the best part of 12 months so they're a side we need to take points off. Anything above 5 points would be a good week IMO?