Old photos of Hillsborough Stadium

22 hours ago, Lincs Owl said:

Neepsend power station.   Stopped working in 1976 apparently, a year before that Man U v L**ds semi final took place.

Oddly enough, those two played semi's at Hillsboro in 1965, 1970 and 1977.  I went to the first two.

Blimey I must have been walking round with my eyes closed back then, I seriously thought it had been photoshopped, I was already a regular at Hillsborough by 1975, albeit I was still in my mid teens and even went to Hillsborough that day to see the Leeds v Man Utd semi but ended up selling the ticket I had got, can I remember those towers ...... nope 😕

Edited by OwlsMan1961

On 03/04/2020 at 04:36, Mickjj said:

This is the World Cup quarter final W.Germany v Uruguay, I was lucky enough to be at the game . It goes to show that the World Cup was not the big draw it is nowadays, just look at all the empty seats.

40,000 (although does not look like that many in the picture( ...not bad considering England were playing Argentina in the Quarter final at the same time.

But you are right, non of the group games other than  those with England or Brazil came close to selling out

On 05/04/2020 at 15:32, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-04-05 at 15.32.28.jpg

Neepsend Power Station

In the mid fifties when I was 8 or 9 years old, me and a school friend were watching a grave digger at work.  Bored, we asked if we could do a bit, and he let us spend an hour or so digging the grave out.  It was a surreal, spooky experience and Ive never been 100% sure I didn't dream it because I never came across that graveyard again.  So it did exist- on the meadows at the back of Shirecliffe school (later Herries school).  

In reality the power station was about a mile from Hillsborough stadium. Think the Leeds v Man U Kop photo was taken with a telescopic lens.    

• Thanks 1