Reckon there will be much hoolie bovver on Sunday?

Hooliganism has nowt to do with football other than when it happens, it's just another way of organising people wanting to fight

People wanting to fight is a human condition, otherwise we wouldn't have wars throughout history

Civilised societies strive to impose rules to outlaw fighting, as it ultimately affects society's profit, but fighting will always happen, so best a society can do, is contain it

Most decent people will realise it's wrong to kick someone in the head when their "opponent" is unconcious anyway, and will resist their natural urges and bodily fluids in doing so

But a lot of equally decent people can't, at the time

Resist their natural urges and bodily fluids

Edited by owlandished

22 hours ago, bigthinrob said:

I reckon with the odd exception (and we know who they are), it is gradually getting better.

You see more & more away fans (of the decent variety) mingling in pubs before games, talking about the game in general, players, this season's chances etc etc.

There were Sunderland fans kicking around pubs before the game recently, all ok, wearing colours, having a drink and just being normal.

We found a lot of the Bristol people were just fine, saying things like "Have a safe journey back" etc and this seems to be the growing trend.

I suppose the Norwich fans were working on this basis though and got a real rude awakening.

Maybe the 'decent' clubs will become known as such and the scummers will also become known as such at the other end of the spectrum.

Times have moved on (for most) and football with it, the ones who refuse to move on need hanging out to dry, starting with the scrubbers from the dark side.

With you mate. We need to move on. I go to Forest matches with friends who support Forest. I go to Hillsborough and Elland Road with Leeds fans who a good friends.

It makes it better when Wednesday win and worse when we loose. But to get in a punch up over it? What is the point?

You chat with fans from other clubs and they see different things in our players. It is interesting who they do and do not rate....often quite funny. 

On 9/22/2017 at 13:19, OutspokenTom said:

I love the friendly rivalry at Rugby games. It is exactly why I'd prefer it if my son chose to play rugby and not football but I wont be forcing anything.

They do something down at Sheffield Rugby Club for 3 year olds plus and they don't just teach the game, they teach them manners as well. It runs almost all the way through the sport to the support.

I've seen what's happened to my nephew aged 8 who is obsessed with Sheffield United and everything I hear or see when he talks or rather shouts about football is scary, a little 'oyk' in the making.

You call the referee sir in Rugby and he is most definitely in charge of the game and whilst players may not agree with all his decisions they do not react to them, they respect them. In football they do not respect the referee and even the pundits on tv give the referee stick in football probably because most of them are ex players. I truly believe that the pantomime drama that is on display on the football field and the hype around it generated by promoters who love the money, the glitz and the supposed glamour of the financial storm it has become and even the self-publicising WAGS are all responsible for it, not to mention the agents. Many footballers attitude of f*£k it we're rich as stink and we'll do what we want transcends to the terraces.

Football should in my opinion learn from Rugby from grass roots level and whilst they have put some halfarsed measures in towards that it's not enough. If all the governing bodies of football stated that from a certain date any dissent shown to the referee of a football match by the players results in a straight red it would in my opinion influence a change throughout the game and eventually as far as the terraces.

But rugby union has a completely different culture to football because it is the sport of the middle classes and so follows their conventions. Football in England and across the world is a working class street culture and in that world you don't brown nose the boss in order to gain an advantage. Look at the legends of football like Best or Maradona. These guys were worshipped precisely because they didn't respect authority . They would sooner flick the v to the ref than call him sir and were worshipped because of it. Not condoning hooliganism obviously, I can't stand those morons and I expect my daughter to respect the ref and her opponents when she plays football but I wouldn't expect her to call him sir. Why should she? So let's not try to compare rugby union culture to football. Thankfully they are world's apart.