Were you there Boxing Day 1979?

WOLS

14 minutes ago, Paul Triplo said:

North Stand. 11 years old.

My first ever Wednesday game.

I was a Leeds fan until that day because my Dad was and he had been taking me to Leeds games since I was 7.

But my Uncle is a mate of Terry Curran and he took me to the game.

It changed my life forever.

Thanks, Uncle Derek.

You certainly dodged a bullet there mate.  Imagine ending up as a Leeds fan *shakes head*

• Haha 1

Set off walking that Boxing day morning in 1979, with my brother I was 18 he was 17, we were on Abbeydale Road and some bloke just pulled up and offered us a lift, we ended up at the ground about 2 hours before kick off, standing on the kop at the back just under the old scoreboard what a memorable day, I can even remember them playing 'Confusion' by ELO as we exited the ground !

We went to the return game at Bramall Lane and stood behind the goal at the Bramall Lane end, there must have been about 500 Wednesday fans stood together in a block on the upper half of the Shoreham St end, and I remember a great rendition of Singin the Blues' echoing round the ground, probably after Curran's equaliser .... happy day's.

My first Sheffield Derby was in 1970 when we lost 3-2 at Bramall Lane, I was nine then and stood overlooking the cricket pitch, this Sunday I will be sat on the kop (as usual) with my son and grandson, my daughter will be there too with her boyfriend WAWAW !

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Paul Triplo said:

North Stand. 11 years old.

My first ever Wednesday game.

I was a Leeds fan until that day because my Dad was and he had been taking me to Leeds games since I was 7.

But my Uncle is a mate of Terry Curran and he took me to the game.

It changed my life forever.

Thanks, Uncle Derek.

Uncle Derek is a hero!

23 hours ago, Finlux_Cup said:

Was that the Bury game where we had 3 sides of the ground, they had a kid called Madden who used to throw it longer than a corner!  

I remember we lost one nil i think, it was one of the last games of the 79/80 season

What a day that was for you lucky fans! Wish I'd been there but I was working in pantomime in Salisbury. There were three shows that day in the morning afternoon and evening and I got back to my digs in time before the afternoon show to hear a very straight BBC voice telling me the final score. Unbelievable! Totally agree it was a seminal moment - it had taken a bit of time but JC had finally got us heading in the right direction. Let's face it the 70's were absolutely shocking but on that Boxing Day that dreadful decade was coming to an end and we were on our way!

I was in the North stand,with my then gf and brother,rite up the back and the back 5 rows or so were ALL blunts fans the whole lenght of the back,we turned around after every goal giving it the big un to them,by the time Smithy took the pen,wed almost forgot they were there,most had gone by then,theyd seen enough,wed just pished on their christmas.

Tootled down to the huntsman boozer from my birds gaffe on the cross that night,was the only boozer I could find open and low and behold,4 blunts were in with our lot taking the pish all night.......bloody great christmas that was,proper carlsberg day WTF:

9 hours ago, robbie said:

I remember we lost one nil i think, it was one of the last games of the 79/80 season

Think it was Easter weekend or week after the 1-1 v Blunts. Other fixture was Gillingham at home where we scraped a 1-0 win IIRC. We looked nervous at that point.

On 21/09/2017 at 21:52, Tyto Alba said:

You certainly dodged a bullet there mate.  Imagine ending up as a Leeds fan *shakes head*

You are not wrong my friend.

Because I am from Wakefield I have a lot of mates who are Leeds fans. I pity them now.

Poor fools.

WAWAW