Were you there Boxing Day 1979?

WOLS

On the North with mates. Drove back over to Rockingham Arms Wentworth and had a good go at drinking a Whisky from every bottle. Not a clue how I got back home. Magical day. I think the matchball and cuttings from that day's Green 'Un are still on display at the Top House.

1 hour ago, NHOwl said:

I was 16 and on the Kop in the corner by the North Stand.

Like a lot of Wednesday fans of that age all I had even known to that point was United in a higher division than us and I only vaguely remembered the previous meetings from 8 years before (0-0 at Hillsborough and a 3-2 defeat at Bramall Lane, a season United went up to Division 1). I'd definitely never known Wednesday win in a derby. 

The season had started in a similar fashion, with United above us from early on and to be honest they looked the class team in the division. We were doing quite well but I never honestly expected we'd beat them. 

I remember the goal by Ian Mellor like it was yesterday. In those days Wednesday rarely scored goals like that and when the ball hit the back of the net there was this unbelievable moment when it sank in that we were actually winning. I remember the scoreboard confirming it and the excitement around us was magic.People were almost pinching themselves. 

There were a couple of unbelievable let-off's for both sides at the Leppings Lane end, and then we just pulled away in the later part of the second half. I can still remember how unreal it seemed at the time. 

They say one game doesn't make a season, but there's never been any doubt in my mind that that game changed football in Sheffield for ten years. We went up, they didn't, and then got relegated to division 4 the following season while we went on from there to get back to Division 1 in 1984.  

Unforgettable day. 

Thanks for filling in the part that I don't remember.

• Haha 1

I went to the match with my best mate who is of the red and white persuasion. It was a delight to watch his face as we stuffed them.

Into the Crosspool Tavern after the match for a few drinks with the girlfriends after the match. Lot's of crestfallen blades in there so the owls fans took great delight in taking the p*ss to an outrageous degree. To be fair to them they took it in good humour and it was a cracking session.

One of those days that will remain with me if I live to be 100. 

Sat in the South Stand wearing all the Wednesday gear I'd got for Christmas, amazing day out, dunno about anyone else but it seemed to matter more as a twelve year old. Enjoyed the away leg too, despite being sat amongst home fans. Not sure I'd get away with celebrating TC's winder strike today like I did back then. Thanks to Dad, who queued for hours heaven an earth to get tickets for both games.

Yes,on the kop!!! I remember thinking as Mellor got the ball,don't shoot!! As he slammed it into the corner! When Mark Smith slotted the penalty in a few minuted from time,to make it 4-0 in front of their lot,it was a dream come true! I'm sure most of us thought we'd lose as they were top,a season or two after that,they dropped into Division 4!! Amazing!!

4 hours ago, bigthinrob said:

Yep.

South Stand towards the Lepps, goading the sad f***ks.

They finally lost it and a bottle came flying over smashed into something and sprayed glass everywhere.

Christmas hadn't existed that year, it was totally irrelevant, you were just wanting it all out of the way so Boxing day would come.

What made it all the sweeter, was that no one gave us a prayer.

Hi Rob

Its your old mate Andy.   I remember that you guys who were regulars in the middle of the North stand (Ted B, Vinnie, Cockney Richard etc) could not get a block booking for 30-40 guys so you booked into the South towards the West Stand.   Great celebrations after, I went into the Nottingham House pub in Broomhill and rubbed it in with the Sheffield radio DJ at the time ; Ray Stuart RIP (Blade season ticket holder). Ah de dums I thought he was going to burst into tears ha ha.   

Roll on Sunday. WAWAW / UTO.

Cheers Andy 

Yes! My best memory and proudest claim as a Wednesday fan. I was there, in the middle of the Kop in my donkey jacket and

blue and white scarf, for the BDM. Unbelievable feeling as the second half unfolded, because in the first half it was very even.

There's only one Terry Curran!

I was also at the Lane in April, but had to stand in the Shoreham End, andso wasn't wearing my blue and white scarf. And I'll say

again - there's only one Terry Curran!

4 hours ago, Hertfordshire Owl said:

I was a regular at Hillsborough from 1977 to 1980 before moving south and was at this great match. I'm sure it was - and I suspect still is - the biggest ever attendance (about 49,000) for a third tier game in this country.....maybe the world! :biggrin:

Yes true, the previous record only lasted a matter of months or was it weeks. Aston Villa v Bournemouth but our 49,308 eclipsed it. A record that still stands today. 

1 hour ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Yes true, the previous record only lasted a matter of months or was it weeks. Aston Villa v Bournemouth but our 49,308 eclipsed it. A record that still stands today. 

8 years!

Villa were in Div 3 for 2 seasons 70-72. By the time of the BDM they'd been back in the top flight for 4 seasons!

6 hours ago, prowl said:

I went to the match with my best mate who is of the red and white persuasion. It was a delight to watch his face as we stuffed them.

Into the Crosspool Tavern after the match for a few drinks with the girlfriends after the match. Lot's of crestfallen blades in there so the owls fans took great delight in taking the p*ss to an outrageous degree. To be fair to them they took it in good humour and it was a cracking session.

One of those days that will remain with me if I live to be 100. 

It was a similar story in the Roebuck in town that afternoon. Landlord was a big Wednesday fan, had the entire place done out in blue and white or silver tinsel. Every time a Blade ordered a round he'd say at the top of his voice

"what did you want? FOUR pints, packets of crisps etc."

and then at closing time it was

"last orders lads it's FOUR minutes to three"

(the pubs opened from 1pm to 3pm that day and then again at about 7pm to closing).

I seem to recall not many Blades out and about that night! Not even in places like the Moorfoot Tavern.

9 hours ago, S A Andy said:

Hi Rob

Its your old mate Andy.   I remember that you guys who were regulars in the middle of the North stand (Ted B, Vinnie, Cockney Richard etc) could not get a block booking for 30-40 guys so you booked into the South towards the West Stand.   Great celebrations after, I went into the Nottingham House pub in Broomhill and rubbed it in with the Sheffield radio DJ at the time ; Ray Stuart RIP (Blade season ticket holder). Ah de dums I thought he was going to burst into tears ha ha.   

Roll on Sunday. WAWAW / UTO.

Cheers Andy 

Hiya Andy,

Hows things?

Youve got a better memory than me mate.

I remember being in the South but couldn't remember why we were there lol, not our normal stomping ground at the time.

Half of the old 'crew' have gone sadly,

Ted Bear died years ago, Cockney Richard also (I think). 

Think Vinnie is still on the go, saw him down town a couple of years ago, still see Slacky and Rummers, now & again, Archie as well, although losing touch with a lot of them.

Top crew and top times.

Bring it on Sunday, our season tickets are middle of the Kop these days, my eldest lad won't entertain it anywhere else, great spot though.

Be outside the Crown before the match!

Have a good un mate,

3-1

WAWAW

FTB

Rob

Was int North with my Dad (R.i.p) .... what an amazing game as we battled and brushed em aside. !! All the pre match talk was of how they were going to walk over us...it was an honour to be there and was the springboard for the rest of our season...a brilliant never to be forgotten experience!! Oh and TC you are a legend!!