Were you there Boxing Day 1979?

WOLS

It was the only time in my life I've been properly ill. Still went. Walked with masses of other owls from Kelvin Flats. Couldn't believe how quiet the blades were right from the start or how cold it was. I'm glad other people have confirmed the cold I thought it was me. Saw it all, loved it. I was 22 all my mates went on a pub crawl, I managed one in the Light Horseman and then went to bed and got up in the new year. Still my favourite Xmas!!

I was there with my new wife at the very top of the Kop.   It really was an exceptional day for all Owls but especially for me.  The atmosphere that day just cannot be matched in modern football.   The sight of United fans singing before the game "United, United, top of the league" was sickening.  The game was brilliant, the goals fantastic and the result perfect.  And my wife is still with me !

No buses at all that day.  Walked to Hillsborough from our end of town (6 miles on google maps) with a big bunch of best mates majority of whom were Blades (comes from growing up near the Lane).  Brilliant day, unbelievable performance - No Blades at the meet up point afterwards- think they must have misheard the arrangements! Apart from the day I also remember 10,000 at home matches before and after (lost both?) before we got into our stride and gathered pace.  Blackburn away 10,000 Owls what a.night.  More of the same please.

on the kop with my mates and we were all dreading it.

They started stronger but when Spider scored we felt a lot better, and a lot lot better as the game went on. Great day.

No trouble at all at a time when there was aggro at just about every game home and away.

And for all those who spent the day on the lash....the pubs shut at 3.00, and when we went out that evening when they opened at 6:30pm, and shut at 10:30 (Railway, Gate and Travellers) the pubs were dead quiet for some reason.

1 hour ago, robbie said:

Yep was on the kop, I was 20 at the time

didn't expect the result, we never looked back after that game and went on to get promoted

some good away days that season, Blackburn, Oxford, Bury, Exeter Terry Currans goal away at United, etc

1 hour ago, Gargoyle said:

Yep, exactly same as me :biggrin:

I was 20 as well. It was to be my last match before I moved to Jersey a week later so I took my mum as well. We walked from Wostenholm Road to the ground, lots of fun on the way, a bit of banter but no trouble and took up our position on the Kop just below the old scoreboard. We went there in hope, certainly no expectation and I was thinking a draw would be a great result. Little did we know!

What a day, what a game, what a Christmas!

Wednesday have given me many memorable moments over the years, but nothing tops the Boxing Day Massacre!

Incidentally cost me a fortune over the next three or four months because I came back three times to watch another 5 or 6 of the promotion run in games and ended up on the pitch after the Carlisle match. Happy days and huge thanks to Jack Charlton and Bert McGee for turning around what had been a really desperate time.

31 minutes ago, Steevo said:

Pretty sure it was an 11am kick off. 

We played with so much passion. 

If this current team plays with the same amount we will hammer them. 

It was an 11am kick off which meant we had all afternoon and evening afterwards to get wazzed up and celebrate, and boy did we celebrate!

The Kop with all the Winn Gardens lads Black Dougie and his Brother   Nina & Steve Shannon Mick Pursehouse and Alan "Bolser" Glaves  plus all the Stannington lads who went in the Ball on Sunday night little Alan ..Big Alan and Tony Pitts

BEST Football match I ever attended (without my dad) with dad 93 semi .....

If Carlsberg made football matches they would make it like 26/12/79..........

I was 16 and on the Kop in the corner by the North Stand.

Like a lot of Wednesday fans of that age all I had even known to that point was United in a higher division than us and I only vaguely remembered the previous meetings from 8 years before (0-0 at Hillsborough and a 3-2 defeat at Bramall Lane, a season United went up to Division 1). I'd definitely never known Wednesday win in a derby. 

The season had started in a similar fashion, with United above us from early on and to be honest they looked the class team in the division. We were doing quite well but I never honestly expected we'd beat them. 

I remember the goal by Ian Mellor like it was yesterday. In those days Wednesday rarely scored goals like that and when the ball hit the back of the net there was this unbelievable moment when it sank in that we were actually winning. I remember the scoreboard confirming it and the excitement around us was magic.People were almost pinching themselves. 

There were a couple of unbelievable let-off's for both sides at the Leppings Lane end, and then we just pulled away in the later part of the second half. I can still remember how unreal it seemed at the time. 

They say one game doesn't make a season, but there's never been any doubt in my mind that that game changed football in Sheffield for ten years. We went up, they didn't, and then got relegated to division 4 the following season while we went on from there to get back to Division 1 in 1984.  

Unforgettable day. 

Edited by NHOwl

1 hour ago, Finlux_Cup said:

Was that the Bury game where we had 3 sides of the ground, they had a kid called Madden who used to throw it longer than a corner!  

Yep, lost 1-0 iirc 

Boxing Day I was 16,stood on the kop half way up behind the net. Walked back to pond st after match looking for our blunt mates but couldn't find them .dunno how we got back to dronfield but we obviously did !a top,top day which hasn't been surpassed yet (in my book) and would take some beating. 

Despite my handle name, I am sorry to say I was not at the game. In my defence I was only 14 and i was living in the North East at time also, due to my dads job at the time.

I remember going crazy though with the score updates shown on grandstand, I was so proud. Later that day my dad took me to see Boro v Leeds at Ayresome Park and I saw Leeds lose 3-1, which I did quite enjoy, even if a poor substitute for the BDM.

My dad took to me to the return game at Porky Lane also and I saw Curran's wonder goal and i still remember him goosing Sabella near the corner flag. Happy days.

UTO

• Like 1

Only 7 years old but I was there with my old man. My 3 uncles and my cousin came with us who were all pigs. 2 were on the away end and 2 sat with me and my old man in the North nearer the Leps. 

I can remember even then just wanting to beat them so much. My main memory is  Currans header and Smiths penalty. Probably because I was sat opposite were the goals went in. I can also remember being parked on Parkside Road and giving  my uncles and cousin the sort of stick only a 7 year old could get away with after! 

As some have already said it was a genuine turning point in Sheffield football and it really really hurt the piggy ****s!  

May sound negative but my absolute minimum criteria before every derby is.......keep Boxing Day intact.