Were you there Boxing Day 1979?

WOLS

Went early doors from Mansfield ( pleasley ) three of us owls set off at 9am 

stood top right on the kop a bit of rain too came down was 18 at the time 

when we were winning stood on mates shoulders in the air like a few others and feet on a barrier singing you will never walk alone remember looking at all wednesday fans holding the scarves in the air and also singing there's only one team in sheffield and Boxing Day massacre it was like was on top of the world never mind the kop 

remember it like yesterday absolutely packed out 

when the fourth went in ended up near the bottom of the kop with the surge on the floor too but amazing never get that again tho incredible 

wish others today would experience that 

also was at the lane behind the goal when curran scored that was great too was red hot that day and wednesday all over the ground 

we were all doing the famous wave from our end to the wednesday fans on the kop 

can other remember when we did that when our fans were in the home ends ?

trouble on the shoreham all the match but owls fans stood their ground 

memories 

Never forget that day. In the North towards the Lep and expected us to lose. 90 minutes later and totally euphoric. The best Christmas present ever. There have been some amazing moments watching Wednesday over the past 45 years. Some times of near despair and others of absolute magic. The BDM for me remains top of those magic ones. I flew in last night from Lisbon and am taking three of my grandsons to their first ever Sheffield derby. Then back to Portugal on Monday. Love Sheffield. But OMG the weather is awful!!

I was only 10 at the time and it was my first ever Wednesday game. I hadn't lived in Sheffield long so didn't have any allegiance to either club (was a man Utd fan virtue of them beating liverpool in fa cup final in 1977). Went with my mate who had only started to get interested in football and liked man Utd because of me. We sat in South and I can't believe my parents let me go to such a huge game without any adult supervision. Fully expected Utd to win and suspect we would have ended up cheering for them if they had. Thank god that didn't happen and we came out of the ground 100% Wednesday. So such an important win in that respect.

12 hours ago, Paul Triplo said:

He sure is.

I paid him back by taking his son to games when I got older.

My cuz and I still always go to the games together when I am back in UK.

Glad my dad took me to Hillsborough , could have been so different , this is the view from my bedroom window growing up. Cheers dad!!

IMG_20170923_111626.jpg

9 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

So many flasks on the market in that period mate.

I'm trying to catalogue them up to the present day.

You're not to know tbf.

Sorry!!

50 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

There's me dunsby and kivo that meet up at an inconvenient time on the second Monday in the month. Pm me if you're keen.

Ill give it some thought.

14 hours ago, ttimeowls said:

Went early doors from Mansfield ( pleasley ) three of us owls set off at 9am 

stood top right on the kop a bit of rain too came down was 18 at the time 

when we were winning stood on mates shoulders in the air like a few others and feet on a barrier singing you will never walk alone remember looking at all wednesday fans holding the scarves in the air and also singing there's only one team in sheffield and Boxing Day massacre it was like was on top of the world never mind the kop 

remember it like yesterday absolutely packed out 

when the fourth went in ended up near the bottom of the kop with the surge on the floor too but amazing never get that again tho incredible 

wish others today would experience that 

also was at the lane behind the goal when curran scored that was great too was red hot that day and wednesday all over the ground 

we were all doing the famous wave from our end to the wednesday fans on the kop 

can other remember when we did that when our fans were in the home ends ?

trouble on the shoreham all the match but owls fans stood their ground 

memories 

Was in the North for the home match and the noise was deafening, s/t S gangway. For thd away match we tried to get on the Shoreham but were refused entry but loads managed it and what a glorious sight from the John street where we ended up. We might not have had the middle of the Shoreham on this occasion but apart from the South the other two sides of the ground were ours and when TC scored absolute pandemonion.

A mate of mine didn't drink and didn't smoke but, after the BDM match, we all piled into the Yew Tree at Malin Bridge and he decided that he'd have a cigar and a drink for each goal. Four Pernods and four Edward VIIs later, he got the taste and decided to stay until closing time, partaking in a few more glasses. 

He hasn't had a drink or a smoke since.

On ‎21‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 08:24, bigthinrob said:

Hiya Andy,

Hows things?

Youve got a better memory than me mate.

I remember being in the South but couldn't remember why we were there lol, not our normal stomping ground at the time.

Half of the old 'crew' have gone sadly,

Ted Bear died years ago, Cockney Richard also (I think). 

Think Vinnie is still on the go, saw him down town a couple of years ago, still see Slacky and Rummers, now & again, Archie as well, although losing touch with a lot of them.

Top crew and top times.

Bring it on Sunday, our season tickets are middle of the Kop these days, my eldest lad won't entertain it anywhere else, great spot though.

Be outside the Crown before the match!

Have a good un mate,

3-1

WAWAW

FTB

Rob

Slacky , Archie and Vinnie were at Rowie's  65th birthday do at the barracks last month