Were you there Boxing Day 1979?

WOLS

Yes I was

the attendance will be governed by just how much netting and heart pills the safety group can manage 

whatever the figure it will be electric 

You're everywhere and nowhere, baby,
That's where you're at,
Going down a bumpy hillside,
In your hippy hat.
Flying out across the country
And getting fat
Saying everything is groovy
When your tyres are flat
[Chorus:]
And it's hi ho

Probably travelling up the A66 and A76 to Kirkconnel in Dumfrieshire then onto Cumnock In Ayrshire from Maltby as we had only moved to England in 1978 and visited haggisland to see family every 2 months or so, used to go up on Boxing Day for a few days or so, hated that boring journey.......

Was always glad to see the England sign on the way back :biggrin:

Edited by steveger

Upper Leppings Lane with their lot as my wife's uncle got the tickets.

Good to see there were more than a few of us up there when we scored 1-2-3-4!!

Amazing there was no trouble as we celebrated every goal, but they were just pig sick :) and many left after the 3rd went in.

Yep.

South Stand towards the Lepps, goading the sad f***ks.

They finally lost it and a bottle came flying over smashed into something and sprayed glass everywhere.

Christmas hadn't existed that year, it was totally irrelevant, you were just wanting it all out of the way so Boxing day would come.

What made it all the sweeter, was that no one gave us a prayer.

Yes I remember it well. United were flying in the old 3rd division and had one Alex Sabella on show. We were mid table and definite underdogs. I was on duty in the old stand bar and had to scrape ice off the car to get to the ground by 9.00. The place was buzzing and the atmosphere electric. I can't remember the full team but I don't think Sabella had a kick and Ian Mellor ( 75% legs and 7st wet through) scored a cracker after a mazy dribble. A game that entered Wednesday folklore, and I was there. Here's hoping but this time United are the underdogs. 

Went with my two brothers...one a cosmetic blade as his mates at school were blades...last match he ever went to. Sam my little brother who was 15 went out on the lash with us all day and kept phoning his brother from every pub we went in to ask him what the score was lol 

Ha Ha!  I had forgotten about the buses not running!  I remember being dropped off in the massive crowds before the game.  But I don't remember how I got home.  I bet many can't remember how they got home - none of us cared after that great performance,  I was 14 at the time and I have always been grateful to my uncle who bought me the ticket.  I think he probably picked it up in the Club cos he only told me about it on Christmas Eve.  I often wondered if he paid over the odds for it.  Turned out to be such a memorable Christmas present and its fantastic to be singing about it with the Owls family over 35 years later!

Yep was on the kop, I was 20 at the time

didn't expect the result, we never looked back after that game and went on to get promoted

some good away days that season, Blackburn, Oxford, Bury, Exeter Terry Currans goal away at United, etc

I was there with my brother half way up the Kop.  We were in truth dreading it and not expecting the win as United were well ahead and looking at promotion and we were well . . . Meh really.  Incredible atmosphere and once the game started you could sense we were on it.  Turned into a blissful dream, could not believe what was unfolding before our eyes, we went mental.  Does show that form counts for nothing in these matches though. The result turned our season around, and we all know how it finished. Same again Sunday please.

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

I couldn't get a ticket but ended up going (good connections at the time), sitting in the Director's box and witnessing the celebrations in the tunnel/dressing room area. The champagne was flowing and the noise was incredible from our dressing room. Anyone who went in to congratulate the players ended up in the bath. What a day!

Didn't bother going to bed just drank all night and took a bottleof spirit, in ,(which would not happen now) We partied in the North all game, then carried on for the rest of the day!, I was a tad longer then!

Edited by Big Jack