Which areas are Wednesday

4 hours ago, Reyt Part Timer said:

I'm a Woodseats (S8) Wednesday.  Always had to go past Bramall Lane on Matchdays going to Hillsborough.  Enjoyed the irony of it really.  Plenty of other owls from South Sheffield. It's not so much about where you live but more about family tradition and possibly who was winning matches when you first took an interest in football.  My first match was a County Cup game in about 1976, and Wednesday beat United 2-1.  So I was Wednesday by Birth but that fixed it anyway.

Another Woodseats Owl here, it's definitely a pig area unfortunately, but as it borders Heeley it isn't really surprising.

I live just off Lowedges now, and despite the location I think there seems to be more Wednesday fans around here, when I went to Meadowhead school nearly all the lads off Lowedges were Wednesday fans. I've been told it may be due to when the estate was built in the 1950s a lot of families from the north of the city were moved in. 

4 hours ago, steveger said:

Was loadsa Wednesday fans in Maltby in the 1990's as well as Leeds scum, can't remember ever seeing and blunts shirts at school, a handful of hardcore social cast offs that supported the toytowners though. Can't speak for Maltby now though,even though it's still stuck in the 1990's on good days.

Seems like Mexborough has a healthy population of owls too, was a few weird looking blunts that used to get on at Conisbrough railway station when i lived in Denaby dodge city

mex was almost exclusively owls in the 60/70s, the mex supporters club was at the plant hotel the blunts supporters club was in the phone box at the bottom of roman terrace .  

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE bobbar TU said:

I grew up at Pitsmoor end of Grimesthorpe Road, went to school at All Saints Sutherland Road, spent weekends at the grand parents who lived just below The Signpost, bought my first house on Nottingham Street. I've also lived for short periods on Winn Gardens, Upwell Street, Deerlands Ave Parson Cross,  had a flat across from the Heliport on Shirecliffe Road, lived with future wife at Kirton Road (which was classed as Pitsmoor, but felt more Burngreave) bought our first house together at Standish Ave, Shirecliffe had 13 years there before moving to Wadsley Park Village where we've lived for the last 13 years, I still consider myself to be Pitsmoor born and bred though.

God, just reading that back,I've moved around quite a lot :biggrin:

I'll defo give you signpost and Nottingham St as Pitsmoor  :biggrin:

• Like 1

Some odd comments on here. It's not Belfast, so there's no science to this but there is some geography to it.

Get your ruler out, put it along Ecclesall Road and Carlisle Street. Everything to the north more likely to be blue and white, to the south red and white.

Some anomalies; often to do with landlords ala the Royal Oak (the pub opposite was always Wednesday tho). 

Also estate demolition plays a part as mentioned. Kelvin flats was rehoused at Lowedges hence more owls on there. Much of the old Manor estate rehoused on Parson Cross, hence more Blades on the Cross than pre-2000 (not to say for a second the cross isn't still fiercely blue).

Owls support much bigger outside Sheff than blades as always the bigger club. Dearne Valley loads of owls, supports groups and coaches from many of the towns, most famously mexborough. Big support all along the stretch from stocksbridge to Edlington (i.e Hoyland, wombwell, wath, mexborough, denaby, conisboroigh, Swinton, edliington).

Also get support in bits of the Wakefield boundary like fitzwilliam, Kinsley and Frickley. 

Blades more ore to the villages to the south; Dronfield, Eckington, Killamarsh, Aston.

For any that are genuinely interested in this stuff also a full report SUFC commsiomed mapping all their season ticket holders. Most came from south west Sheffield, mosborogh and the areas above.

complete and utter fallacy they have a more working class fan base or more Sheffield fans. It's a small club syndrome. Same goes for Manchester, Liverpool and Birmingham. Much more fans of Man U, Liverpool and Villa in all of those cities.

cheers 

• Like 2

Just now, OWL1969 said:

Basically decent areas mainly Wednesday, anywhere that is a bit of a sty full of Blades.

No mate, utter nonsense. The majority of their season ticket holders are from south west Sheffield. 

The demographic couldn't be more similar.

Rough areas to the north of the city more likely to be blue, rough areas to the south red. 

Affluent areas to to the north/north west more likely to be blue, to the south/south west red.

rough pit villages to the north blue, rough pit villages to the south red

I live in Doncaster and there are quite a few Wednesday fans here but it's a bit of a mix between Rovers, Wednesday, Leeds and glory hunters supporting Man Utd, Liverpool etc. Not many Blades though.  I recently worked in Rotherham where there was a mix of Wednesday,  United and Rotherham fans. I also studied in Huddersfield where I had at least ten good friends who were staunch Wednesday fans.

14 minutes ago, winn_owl said:

No mate, utter nonsense. The majority of their season ticket holders are from south west Sheffield. 

The demographic couldn't be more similar.

Rough areas to the north of the city more likely to be blue, rough areas to the south red. 

Affluent areas to to the north/north west more likely to be blue, to the south/south west red.

rough pit villages to the north blue, rough pit villages to the south red

No mate, pigs live in stys.

I grew up on Wostenholm Road in S7 and went to Sharrow Lane Junior school which was definitely of a more piggy bent (probably 60-65% but hardly surprising as little more than 5 minutes walk to the Stain), but when I went to Abbeydale Grange for seniors (which brought in Woodseats, Abbeydale Middle and Carter Knowle schools) Wednesday probably edged it despite the fact we are talking 1970-77!