Which areas are Wednesday

I've lived in Sheffield 6 all my life. Fortunately shown the right path by my Dad as a lad, and always had Wednesday fans as my mates. Kids solid Wednesday as you would expect. Obviously Hillsborough and surrounding areas are solid Wednesday. I know from working in other parts of South Yorkshire (I've never worked in Sheffield) that many areas outside the City are Wednesday or at least have a large Wednesday following. Much of the Dearne valley for instance splits Wednesday and Barnsley. I've heard lots of piggies say they are Sheffield and we are the outside areas, I've never agreed.  I think a most of Sheffield is lagely Wednesday too I think if we went through South Yorkshire and Sheffield, area by area, and town by town, that whilst many will have a mix we will have more in both. It's a good week to try it - what do you think? Which area are Wednesday!

I'm a Woodseats (S8) Wednesday.  Always had to go past Bramall Lane on Matchdays going to Hillsborough.  Enjoyed the irony of it really.  Plenty of other owls from South Sheffield. It's not so much about where you live but more about family tradition and possibly who was winning matches when you first took an interest in football.  My first match was a County Cup game in about 1976, and Wednesday beat United 2-1.  So I was Wednesday by Birth but that fixed it anyway.

• Like 1

I've not met that many Owls in North Derbyshire -- Chesie to Bakewell area -- but I've met more Owls than Blades. Also, alot of the people I've sat next to over the past 30 years -- in the north and south stands -- were not for Sheffield: 2 from Huddersfield, a few from the Barnsley area and one from Lincolnshire.

Edited by northderbyshireowl

Stocksbridge is a very strong Wednesday area.

My Nan used to live in Lowedges remember as a kid seeing a lot of Blades shirts around there and being brought up in Walkley it seemed a bit strange.

Think Darnall and Handsworth are also mainly Blades areas, but the difference to me is the Blades area of Sheffield still have  a large minority of Owls fans, whereas in some Wednesday areas, such as Stocksbridge and Chapeltown there aren't many Blades at all.

Also as you say outside Sheffield, many other parts of South Yorkshire have large Wednesday fanbases. It's one reason why the fans of Barnsley and Rotherham hate us so much, because their cities are split between hometown support and Wednesday fans.

• Like 2

Was loadsa Wednesday fans in Maltby in the 1990's as well as Leeds scum, can't remember ever seeing and blunts shirts at school, a handful of hardcore social cast offs that supported the toytowners though. Can't speak for Maltby now though,even though it's still stuck in the 1990's on good days.

Seems like Mexborough has a healthy population of owls too, was a few weird looking blunts that used to get on at Conisbrough railway station when i lived in Denaby dodge city

Edited by steveger

9 minutes ago, foxowl said:

S5 95% owls

No way mate, definetly a strong Wednesday area, but I work in Asda at Parsons cross, plenty of Blades fans come in, would say owls outnumber em by about 2 to 1 so 66% is nearer the mark, certainly don't outnumber em 19 to 1 as you suggest.  

Edit Actually probably nearer 3 to 1.

Edited by OWL1969

Growing up in Pitsmoor/Burngreave, we were always outnumbered by Blunts

Don't know if it's always been that way, although when I went in the The Royal Oak just on Earsham Street recently, the landlord has a few Blunts pictures on the wall, and there were a fair few people in with Blunt badges on

I lived for a time, on Upwell Street Grimesthorpe, that too was mainly a Blunt area.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.