Over Hyped or Another Error?

1 hour ago, yeadonowl said:

its all about peoples priorities. everyone knew it would be category A so its amazing that still people are using this as an excuse

the fixtures have been out since June so most working people will have had 3 pay days to cobble together £40

to then say NOW Tv is £6.99 to watch it is fine but you still need something to watch it on whether it be a smart tv (couple of hundred quid min), via a games console (£200 minimum) or via a PC (again £200 minimum)

One idea to get round this problem is to still spend the £200 on a laptop but then keep it for the long term as opposed to just using it for one single match, or use the laptop/tv that you've already got.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Cowle70 said:

Yeah got to agree. Judging by the number sold he's maximised the receipts. Don't think it will be a record though. Due to number of season ticket holders. The current record is approx £1M for Turkey v Denmark Euro 96.

I meant a game involving us mate

We all know we are an expensive match day ticket in this league, I'm a member not a season ticket holder and have been now for around 7 years. Yes the prices have increased but so has the quality of the team and what is offered over 90 minutes, so although I still wince at the prospect of paying 42 quid for a match day ticket if I can I will. I could not afford a season ticket even if I was able to get to every home game due to living in Birmingham my usual match day experience is around 50-75 quid day all told depending on opponent and price of ticket. 

It would be wonderful if we could all go at any time we wanted to for lets say 20 quid every home game, but to be honest this topic has been done to death in recent years, if it's a priority for you you can save money for the games you really want to get to, even a few quid a week. As this is arguably one of our bigger league fixtures since the new pricing structure came in and still isn't sold out, I would say for many of the fans who are now limited to 2/3 home games a season with the game being made available on a cheaper platform it takes less of a priority hence the fact it has not sold out (which it still may do before Sunday). Those fans will most likely save their money for a non-televised game which will be as they see it more reasonably priced. IMO the pricing whilst steep for a Championship fixture had to have been expected for most fans.  

I do think next year will see a drop in midweek prices at home as the games will be made available online, across the league we may not be the front runners in that department however I'm sure common sense will prevail and we will see more reduced midweek tickets. This may make it easier for some fans to get to a game without making too large of a dent in their monthly or annual budget. The way I see it is any game of football is affordable but it's a balancing act now as to whether it's actually feasible and sensible to go, I agree that is not how football should be ideally but it is just the way it is. 

Pricing for this seems ok to me.

Not least because presumably if you are paying full price you are presumably a pretty infrequent attender.  My other half will only do two or three games per season which means a a few quid either way doesn't make that much difference.

For me areas to focus on pricing wise would be (a) six match packages (b) prices for family tickets and maybe (c) the membership costs are steep.

But the context is higher attendances.  For years, if I wanted an extra ticket for a friend or relative I could get one very close to where I sit.  That's no longer true.

If you are a casual fan and were only attending one game a season, this is probably the one you'd go for so very easy to svae for.

As for fans being priced out - isn't that market forces? I well remember people saying they were going to stop supping ale if it was a pound a pint, plenty still do.

Look, the prices are abhorrent. Simple as that.

The Clappers will dress it up in many different ways as they dare not say a bad word against the regime. 

I love my club, but I absolutely hate the road we've gone down with pricing tickets. It makes me feel a mixture of anger and sadness that thousands of people, many with kids who are the next generation of Wednesdayites, can't afford to go to games. And I'm speaking from a position where fortunately I can afford tickets. I imagine that my feelings of anger and sadness pale into insignificance compared to those that can't afford to go - kids who instead of having local heroes, sport Man City shirts with 'Aguero' on the back.

We've really got this badly wrong but those justifying the prices won't fully realise the depth of the situation until it's too late.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Gateford_Owl said:

The Clappers will dress it up in many different ways as they dare not say a bad word against the regime. 

I love my club, but I absolutely hate the road we've gone down with pricing tickets. It makes me feel a mixture of anger and sadness that thousands of people, many with kids who are the next generation of Wednesdayites, can't afford to go to games. And I'm speaking from a position where fortunately I can afford tickets. I imagine that my feelings of anger and sadness pale into insignificance compared to those that can't afford to go - kids who instead of having local heroes, sport Man City shirts with 'Aguero' on the back.

We've really got this badly wrong but those justifying the prices won't fully realise the depth of the situation until it's too late.

You have to pay a premium to be entertained by aggressive attacking football.

3 hours ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

His pricing has worked as its got very close to sell out.

He even opened the lower Lepp to home fans which people have wanted for ages.

Well done DC

Mm, 33k ish for two teams doing well in nearly always a sell out steel city derby...imagine no SAG, the gound is only 3/4 full. The crowd/ground restrictions make it seem ok...in reality it ain't. The pricing is right technically, morally it's a foookin disgrace

The financial/marketing judgement and  positioning of ticket prices for this derby,is obviously just about spot on, given the club has just about sold out a TV game. We may not like it, but that is fact.

It is also stated policy by Mr Chansri, that he wishes to see the club generate as much income as possible, whilstever we are not in a position to match the finances of our Championship rivals. The stated aim of promotion has to be paid for and not only by himself.

Things may change for the better for fans, if and when we arrive in the Prem.

38 minutes ago, Gateford_Owl said:

Absolutely spot on. As soon as we introduced the pricing structure a couple of seasons ago it has left a sour taste in the mouth for me, feeling like we are part of business model and not being treated as the loyal fans of this club that we are. I know it has to be this way to a certain extent for clubs to stay competitive financially but we've taken it too far and got it wrong. People are saying "how has DC got it wrong when it's almost a  sellout." Yes, he's got nigh on the maximum amount of money for this fixture that he could have, but at the cost of alienating a section fans that are going to the match and pricing a large section of fans out completely. It might work in the short term, maximising match prophets but it can't last. And whilst average attendances are rising due to higher league positions the match on Sunday has proven that it has a ceiling at these prices - we've had much higher attendances in the past for games like this. We should be trying to entice the extra 5-10k fans that just turn up to the big games to keep coming, not price them out and let them lose the bug you get from going to a match, soon going to a match will become synonymous with being overpriced and we'll lose them for good. 

Ticket prices , sky sports live , fear of aggro some of the things people I know are saying why they're not going , tbh , ticket prices main one for most I know.

Also I'm fortunate my two lads are grown up (????ish) so they pay for their own season tickets , some mates I have simply can't afford to take the kids anymore

Edited by barkingatthemoon
Add ones!

10 minutes ago, Cheshowl said:

Absolutely spot on. As soon as we introduced the pricing structure a couple of seasons ago it has left a sour taste in the mouth for me, feeling like we are part of business model and not being treated as the loyal fans of this club that we are. I know it has to be this way to a certain extent for clubs to stay competitive financially but we've taken it too far and got it wrong. People are saying "how has DC got it wrong when it's almost a  sellout." Yes, he's got nigh on the maximum amount of money for this fixture that he could have, but at the cost of alienating a section fans that are going to the match and pricing a large section of fans out completely. It might work in the short term, maximising match prophets but it can't last. And whilst average attendances are rising due to higher league positions the match on Sunday has proven that it has a ceiling at these prices - we've had much higher attendances in the past for games like this. We should be trying to entice the extra 5-10k fans that just turn up to the big games to keep coming, not price them out and let them lose the bug you get from going to a match, soon going to a match will become synonymous with being overpriced and we'll lose them for good. 

How can you get any more fans in if its a sell out, only 400 tickets remain on sale and they will more than likely go.

Guest Copthorneowl
2 hours ago, matt_johno43 said:

We all know we are an expensive match day ticket in this league, I'm a member not a season ticket holder and have been now for around 7 years. Yes the prices have increased but so has the quality of the team and what is offered over 90 minutes, so although I still wince at the prospect of paying 42 quid for a match day ticket if I can I will. I could not afford a season ticket even if I was able to get to every home game due to living in Birmingham my usual match day experience is around 50-75 quid day all told depending on opponent and price of ticket. 

It would be wonderful if we could all go at any time we wanted to for lets say 20 quid every home game, but to be honest this topic has been done to death in recent years, if it's a priority for you you can save money for the games you really want to get to, even a few quid a week. As this is arguably one of our bigger league fixtures since the new pricing structure came in and still isn't sold out, I would say for many of the fans who are now limited to 2/3 home games a season with the game being made available on a cheaper platform it takes less of a priority hence the fact it has not sold out (which it still may do before Sunday). Those fans will most likely save their money for a non-televised game which will be as they see it more reasonably priced. IMO the pricing whilst steep for a Championship fixture had to have been expected for most fans.  

I do think next year will see a drop in midweek prices at home as the games will be made available online, across the league we may not be the front runners in that department however I'm sure common sense will prevail and we will see more reduced midweek tickets. This may make it easier for some fans to get to a game without making too large of a dent in their monthly or annual budget. The way I see it is any game of football is affordable but it's a balancing act now as to whether it's actually feasible and sensible to go, I agree that is not how football should be ideally but it is just the way it is. 

Congrats on a very good and common sense post.

Edited by Copthorneowl