Over Hyped or Another Error?

21 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Causal link. The self same fans who moan about prices are the same fans who duty bound trot out and buy their SKY packages. All done in the knowledge that they are significantly contributing towards a lop sided distribution in finance. Yet the same fans bleat if their team shows the slightest sign of being less than 'top two' competitive.

The clubs not blessed with super Sky funding have little option but to maximise gate receipts, the fans have the option not to subscribe to SKY but they don't.   

While I agree with the principal, saying those that can't afford tickets are the self same people subscribing to Sky is a bit of a stretch. Probably not true at all in most cases.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

I would counter that not many people who are not Sky subscribers still have the box to watch it on, I certainly haven't.

You don't need a box.

Now TV is available through most box types (BT, Virgin etc), through games consoles, PC/laptops, smart phones and tablets etc.

£6.99 is far more affordable to those that can't afford tickets.

Don't know why you'd want to vilify those that can't afford to go? 

2 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

I would counter that not many people who are not Sky subscribers still have the box to watch it on, I certainly haven't.

You don't need a Sky box to watch NOW TV, there's an app on most smart TVs or you can watch it online.  £6.99 for a Sky Sports day pass I think and it lasts for 24 hours from activation so you could get either the Saturday evening or the later Sunday Sky games includes as well.

2 minutes ago, Donny.Owl said:

You don't need a box.

Now TV is available through most box types (BT, Virgin etc), through games consoles, PC/laptops, smart phones and tablets etc.

£6.99 is far more affordable to those that can't afford tickets.

Don't know why you'd want to vilify those that can't afford to go? 

I'm not villifying anybody but I would guess a lot that don't go are Sky subscribers.

I will go as I've not missed a home derby since '81 but I do pick my matches these days more than I used to.

50 minutes ago, the golden bullen said:

How is it an error?

Without bring VAT into it we may not sell roughly 500 tickets at £42 = £21k of revenue. But managed to sell for the sake of argument 10,000 at a conservative £10 extra more than most would have wanted = £100k. An extra £79k for Chansiri's back pocket, i wish i made errors like that.

All about supply and demand, there is obviously demand there to cover the extra prices. 

God - this sort of post is so depressing.

its all about peoples priorities. everyone knew it would be category A so its amazing that still people are using this as an excuse

the fixtures have been out since June so most working people will have had 3 pay days to cobble together £40

to then say NOW Tv is £6.99 to watch it is fine but you still need something to watch it on whether it be a smart tv (couple of hundred quid min), via a games console (£200 minimum) or via a PC (again £200 minimum)

1 minute ago, yeadonowl said:

its all about peoples priorities. everyone knew it would be category A so its amazing that still people are using this as an excuse

the fixtures have been out since June so most working people will have had 3 pay days to cobble together £40

to then say NOW Tv is £6.99 to watch it is fine but you still need something to watch it on whether it be a smart tv (couple of hundred quid min), via a games console (£200 minimum) or via a PC (again £200 minimum)

Or a £14.99 box with a day pass... effectively making the box eight quid.

5 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

Yeah tell the rest of the family, they can't have a nice TV or games console coz you need to save for a football match. lol

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, markowl said:

Yet average attenddances are up from when he took over.

Strange one that.

Not strange at all. Success always increases crowds, people who stopped going start again. We've sold more Season Tickets too.

Still a shame for those that have been priced out.

I know there's no divine right to be able to go and watch your team; still it's not nice for those that want to, used to be able to, but now can't.

No statistics, attendance figures etc will make it right for those individuals.

52 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

That always makes me laugh, someone on FH said they would not be goin due to finances £45 but would be watching it on Sky (circa £800 pa). Strange.

Can of worms time approaching?

It depends on your situation really 

Where you live what job you have what hours you work salary? Yes Sky is a rip off so is Football in general but nothings cheap..

I live a 200 mile round trip door to ground for home games used to live yards away when younger so it's expensive running a good reliable car feeding with fuel et etc

But I do it because I can afford it..

I think it's unfair to have a go at someone just because of sky (they may be a family all using sky for different programs) to put that 800 quid to side for a season ticket may be selfish to rest of family?

And let's face it terrestrial TV is Bobbar at the best of times..

I see where you are coming from ToppOwl but I think a load of clubs are going to have  get their house in order once this legal streaming thing comes in next year ..

Because if it's say 50 quid plus to watch Owls in Prem next year maybe? 

I think attendances will wane across the league depends what's going to cost to get the streaming because it won't be cheap will it?

30 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

You forgot the monthly broadband connection too lol .

For one person to argue they cant afford £42 for a ticket unless they are unemployed , knowing this fixture has been due since the end of the season is absurd how much would they pay £20.

I get it if it's a family of four but for a one off game for an individual who's not a member or a season ticket holder I have no sympathy , get a part time job for a week , one shift would have covered the expense. 

1 hour ago, Ash76 said:

It's not an error though is it? There are around 400 tickets left. Even if they sell them with a lower category gate receipts would not have been high as they are on Sunday, likely to be up there for a possible gate receipts record for us i would think?

Yeah got to agree. Judging by the number sold he's maximised the receipts. Don't think it will be a record though. Due to number of season ticket holders. The current record is approx £1M for Turkey v Denmark Euro 96.