Increased capacity

Guest Manwithastick
3 minutes ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

Rounders 

https://youtu.be/VlORWhsJjNM

Yawn.

So boring that they went to the effort of recruiting 9 MLB stars to voice themselves for Homer At The Bat.

I'd bet a penny to a pinch ofshit you know absolutelyfuckall about baseball. Or much else judging by the general level of your contributions 

on here.

10 minutes ago, Manwithastick said:

Rubbish. I was there 12 months ago and took time to ask dozens of fans if they preferred Tiger Stadium and would they go back. Not one said they

would and several assumed I'd never been to Tiger Stadium. 

As for that article:

1. It's six years old - as Yankee,Mets or Tigers fans now they've had 6 more years in their new parks - I assure you they would NOT go back.

2. It references Ebbetts Field which last saw baseball in 1957 when the Dodgers did an overnight flit to LA and Crosley Field in Cincinnati which closed

1970. It's like wanting to go back to rationing. Nonsense.

12 fans doesn't sound like a comprehensive survey. Ultimately an American journalist working for a popular sports/baseball site suggested you may be wrong, and I think he be correct.

It doesn't take long to find Yankee fans posting how they dislike their new stadium (2016):

Edited by northderbyshireowl

We're only treated differently because of what happened in '89. They need to get with the times and give us control of what we can and can't sell. We actually have to beg for tickets to be sold in our own stadium.

An alternative is to refurbish the ground, like the plans we had in place for the World Cup bid.

4 hours ago, owls-swfc said:

SAG v QPR ?... Reight match! 

Don't think QPR have ever faced them, on the other hand we get drawn against them every couple of weeks! 

It's so annoying if they put SAGs record at Hillsbrough against Carlos they have turned it into a fortress for them considering they hammer us every week 

Carlos out SAG in = premier league 

11 minutes ago, fpowl said:

Can't disagree enough if you build a stadium to accommodate you can host major conferemces and events these are huge commercially and Sheffield in general located in the middle of our country as terrible facilities to host the high earning events.

plus like most business the purchase are not often bought out right they or leased or loan put based taking out a loan weather personal or bank the purchase bevaomes a part of your assets and will be shown on your balance. Sheet as depreciation. Once this hits 0 or gets to a value hit you can plan your next planned investment usually a refurbishment. Therefor the move is calculated by paying over a number of years.

i would imagine that a move would be paid for over 20 years plus

to use your figures as an expample 100 million over 20 years is 5 million a year for a stadium this will be easily be achieved if built correctly to maximise revenue and save costs. I bet just rebuilding Hillsbrough with moder technology with massive save power and and water. And I know the design could make huge staffing costs but f built in the right way to increase sales but reduce labour, then you can consider the sale of Hillsbrough to reduce that figure payed back annually or period it's payed back in.

commercially it's extremely cost effective.

The question is whether the club would hold major conferemces and events, when it can't even release a kit for fans to buy on time or stock up with pies. After the scare of 2010, I'd rather not get the club saddled with huge debt on a 'wing and pray' of generating revenue outside of matchday. It didn't do Coventry much good moving to the Rioch. Seems more sensible to spend all available funds on the team, get us in the premier, then improve the facilities behind the stands at Hillsborough. That said, I am biased, I prefer a traditional stadium and history over modernisation.

21 minutes ago, raljex said:

Who gives a roger -all the money eventually ends up in the player's pockets anyway - stick to making money and toytown - I love Wednesday and hillsborough

What a extremely  and intelegent response. I hope a position becomes available on the board and you get it. It's voices like this with all the insight and reasoning behind it that I believe we don't hear enough now we have a chairman that looks and progress into the future and m sure with you at the helm we could turn Hillsbrough today into something for the future. I'm so glad we have such forward thinking folk still about I thought they all died off years ago who was running all the working men's clubs. It does make me wonder why they was all still doing bingo and ballroom dancing still or shutting down. I didn't genuinely didn't know people like yourself had moved on. Please improve our club and contact them with your views immediately 

6 hours ago, steveger said:

The SAG is made up from representatives of South Yorkshire Police, South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue and Yorkshire Ambulance Service among others, yeah they can be over the top and seem excessive at times but i have no doubt the majority of all their decisions are made on safety grounds. Let's not forget our ground hasn't really had many major changes for a long time and it looks like a struggle to keep it up to modern standards.

While everything you say there is fair we as fans still deserve an explanation for some of the decisions made over the last year or so. There has never been an explanation of what changed from the Aston Villa game last August to the Wolves game in January when it was claimed to be a sell out despite the thousands of empty seats.

8 minutes ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

While everything you say there is fair we as fans still deserve an explanation for some of the decisions made over the last year or so. There has never been an explanation of what changed from the Aston Villa game last August to the Wolves game in January when it was claimed to be a sell out despite the thousands of empty seats.

Agreed. Apart from that fan that fell from the top tier of the west stand, we haven't had any serious safety issue since 1990. I guess we rarely get plus 30k+ for the club to kick up a serious stink, but surely we could challenge legally for loss of income due to their decisions. We had lots of sellouts in the 1990s with no safety issues whatsoever.

Edited by northderbyshireowl

6 hours ago, S1Owl said:

I love Hillsborough, it needs upgrading and modifications but please never leave to a plastic, faceless bowl in an industrial estate. This is perfect and a thing of beauty. Please have a watch DC. :-

This is all that is needed . No kneejerk reaction about new stadiums . The old lady is dated , yes, but as this video shows we do not need to relocate to a soul less , lego bowl. 

3 minutes ago, northderbyshireowl said:

Agreed. Apart from that fan that fell from the top tier of the west stand, we haven't had any serious safety issue since 1990. I guess we rarely get plus 30k+ for the club to kick up a serious stink, but surely we could challenge legally for loss of income due to their decisions. We had lots of sellouts in the 1990s with no safety issues whatsoever.

Spot on. All I'd like from them is a genuine explanation for the immediate step up in changes made. As far as I can remember there weren't any issues regarding dispersing fans from the ground.

4 minutes ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

Spot on. All I'd like from them is a genuine explanation for the immediate step up in changes made. As far as I can remember there weren't any issues regarding dispersing fans from the ground.

None at all, I only missed a handful of home games in the 90's, and always left the North on the west stand exits, never saw a problem once. And the west corner was filled many times.

23 minutes ago, northderbyshireowl said:

The question is whether the club would hold major conferemces and events, when it can't even release a kit for fans to buy on time or stock up with pies. After the scare of 2010, I'd rather not get the club saddled with huge debt on a 'wing and pray' of generating revenue outside of matchday. It didn't do Coventry much good moving to the Rioch. Seems more sensible to spend all available funds on the team, get us in the premier, then improve the facilities behind the stands at Hillsborough. That said, I am biased, I prefer a traditional stadium and history over modernisation.

I agree completely and I also couldn't agree more with your reasons my at being scepital it's hard to argue against the blunder that f the kit when delaying that another year would have been more sensible it's hard also to argue with some of the corporate pricing and see with that kind of pricing why anyone would come it often come across rash and naive. But then you listen to some of their comments like our commercial wasn't making my money and they are looking at all areas to increase revenue. And see the short term efforts to try and solve this longtime in a stadium that's been crippling us for years and you have faith that they mean well and sometimes you got to crack a few eggs to make an omlette. Whilst not getting it completely right and making blunders at some our chairman is showing us fans he said Is here to make all the improvements he can to move to a forward. Maybe he needs to take a back seat or have better advisors or stronger people to challenge his decisions. You can also argue the clubs or stadiums management team. 

Lookimg at the retail it bemuses me still how we don't have basic condiments such as red sauce or mustard with hotdog burgers and Luke warm water where you can stir your brew with your finger but using the existing footprint where which previous owners and stadium caterers have used we have modified the kiosks with better products quicker services and given the staff a more effective tool to do their jobs. Which will also give us better data. If you take these as an example of quick fixes and intentions there are positives to think that with a purposely built stadium with these being thought at during design stage. Then you will have to have faith. If we move tomorrow the sentimental traditionalist move today will die when we do. But the fan of the future will have only remember Hillsbrough through past stories and history books. 

If if I look at Hillsbrough through the history I can remember the days with the pipes and clackers and sugar smoking which I would love experience they was packed out houses of 50 plus thousand 

I can't remember cages. But I remember the standing and always think I loved that it's great droppingvin lower leagues cup that still have this kind of area to reminisce I can Remember smoking in stadiums and pubs it all added to the experience. But I believe we are better as a mom smoking country. I have really fond memories of Hillsbrough and love looking shank at our history. That's why as a fan I am massively in favour of staying but a stadium move is always financially better especially if done correctly. For every Coventry you have a Doncaster or Rotherham which both had two promotions in very quick succession and both in our region. There are also bad some extremely well designed and built stadiums mainly in Europe but two great examples of quality designs from what I would class as traditional famous stadiums that spring to mind are Emirates and city of Manchester stadium.

We ate much much bigger and better than a Coventry or a Rotherham or a Doncaster in a city much bigger our design and ambitions should not only mirror the best stadiums in the country but take there work and modify it into something great md iconic in world stadiums. History tells us we once was that stadium even looking back to 90s and the euros.  we could make our next home the yesterdays Hillsbrough. You don't have to have soleless stadium just because it's new but football weather we like it or not is changing and so is the football supporter. One of thing that closed a load of working men's clubs down was dinasoure committes not willing to change and as the generations started dying off so did the revenues untill they had to close. I am not for minute saying you are a dinasaur. You seem like me a traditionalist that would rather keep what's great and sentimental about what makes us Sheffield Wednesday. But this I believe hinders our life by term future. And the Sheffield wednesday for tomorrow weather it be in the next 5 years or 50years will eventually have to move and we might get another 100- 200 years out of our next stadium which would be hard for our great grea great great great grandchildren to leave but we have to to keep moving forward god knows what those stadiums look like probably come with airbases so the players can get privately jetted in from LA

2 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

with a capacity of about 6 people and total weight of what, 30?  No access or egress required.

one off for about 50 people. 6 years ago.

Yeah, let's just open it up.  All those who think its safe can volunteer to sit there.

Bet you are a reyt dare devil , am I right ?

11 hours ago, vulva said:

I can't quite understand the anger and obsession some on here have with SAG and the capacity, when we can't fill the ground for the vast majority of the season anyway. I'd rather the club focus their attentions elsewhere, rather than bending their back to accommodate a few hundred fans who turn up once a year. 

We still have tickets available for Sunday, for a fixture that was arranged 3 months ago. It's not as though they are queuing down Penistone Road, and Stan Flashman is stood outside with a wad of £20's. 

Why not spend the money improving the facilities for the regulars, who turn up every week. 

I'm sorry but I think fans that don't go every week should have the same rights as you to say how the club moves forward with the ground they might have reasons as to why they can't attend just because your a season ticket holder some how makes you better opinionated than the rest of us? I don't think so

28 minutes ago, Hirstyslegend said:

I'm sorry but I think fans that don't go every week should have the same rights as you to say how the club moves forward with the ground they might have reasons as to why they can't attend just because your a season ticket holder some how makes you better opinionated than the rest of us? I don't think so

Not sure what it's got to do with rights. Football clubs are businesses and fans are customers. This is not the CAB.

If you lived on your own in a 3 bed house would you build on another bedroom just in case you had guests once a year?

15 minutes ago, vulva said:

Not sure what it's got to do with rights. Football clubs are businesses and fans are customers. This is not the CAB.

If you lived on your own in a 3 bed house would you build on another bedroom just in case you had guests once a year?

Well it might be a business to you but I'm sure to most people me included it's more than a business I was brought up going to Hillsborough every other week so means more to me obviously not the same for you not so much I'm guessing but that's by the by well nobody is bringing houses into this were on about a football ground and they have to move with the times and the old girl needs a face lift but I'm sure if you write tho the club because your a regular they may put you a reclining chair in so you can put your feet up and maybe a butler service in for your personal use

46 minutes ago, Hirstyslegend said:

Well it might be a business to you but I'm sure to most people me included it's more than a business I was brought up going to Hillsborough every other week so means more to me obviously not the same for you not so much I'm guessing but that's by the by well nobody is bringing houses into this were on about a football ground and they have to move with the times and the old girl needs a face lift but I'm sure if you write tho the club because your a regular they may put you a reclining chair in so you can put your feet up and maybe a butler service in for your personal use

You've got the wrong end of the stick. Totally. My original point was around the excess furore that surrounds SAG, and capacities. We can't fill the ground other than for playoff semis and possibly Sunday, so I can't see the point in worrying about it. 

But you carry on ranting if it makes you feel better. 

39 minutes ago, vulva said:

You've got the wrong end of the stick. Totally. My original point was around the excess furore that surrounds SAG, and capacities. We can't fill the ground other than for playoff semis and possibly Sunday, so I can't see the point in worrying about it. 

But you carry on ranting if it makes you feel better. 

Don't think people are ranting it's a very emotive subject and will continue to be until a resolution is arrived at. I agree that we don't fill it most weeks however as we know our club is a business and part of that is strategic vision. 

I concur with most that lets get things right on the pitch and the rest will follow, however lots of people continually moan about kits, catering etc and this is also part of the business. The point I make is that we have been a failing business for over 20 years and a 3 year plan will not right the wrongs of 2 decades of neglect.

9 hours ago, northderbyshireowl said:

12 fans doesn't sound like a comprehensive survey. Ultimately an American journalist working for a popular sports/baseball site suggested you may be wrong, and I think he be correct.

It doesn't take long to find Yankee fans posting how they dislike their new stadium (2016):

This article makes no mention of dislike of the actual stadium itself - it's the security, price of beer, ticketing policy and Tuesday night game that is criticised, not the actual stadium itself......all of which have come in for just as much criticism at Hillsborough.

Having said all that I think comparison between baseball and football stadiums is a bit apples and pears. Having been to a baseball game myself (and 1 is more than enough!) what I noticed most is that the sport is a background event. Baseball is about a family day out with the opportunity to eat as much crap as possible with a game going on on the background and I guess modern stadiums are set up to accommodate this....Football is about football (for most of us)

• Like 1