Increased capacity

2 minutes ago, Ian said:

This article makes no mention of dislike of the actual stadium itself - it's the security, price of beer, ticketing policy and Tuesday night game that is criticised, not the actual stadium itself......all of which have come in for just as much criticism at Hillsborough.

Having said all that I think comparison between baseball and football stadiums is a bit apples and pears. Having been to a baseball game myself (and 1 is more than enough!) what I noticed most is that the sport is a background event. Baseball is about a family day out with the opportunity to eat as much crap as possible with a game going on on the background and I guess modern stadiums are set up to accommodate this....Football is about football (for most of us)

Agree with going to only 1 baseball game - Tampa Bay Devil Rays v NY Yankees, on a Tuesday in Tampa Bay there were about 4000 in the ground if that.

9 hours ago, Manwithastick said:

Yawn.

So boring that they went to the effort of recruiting 9 MLB stars to voice themselves for Homer At The Bat.

I'd bet a penny to a pinch ofshit you know absolutelyfuckall about baseball. Or much else judging by the general level of your contributions 

on here.

Yep I know nowt about rounders nor do I want to.

As for my other contributions would you care to expand on that to see what we differ on? 

9 hours ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

While everything you say there is fair we as fans still deserve an explanation for some of the decisions made over the last year or so. There has never been an explanation of what changed from the Aston Villa game last August to the Wolves game in January when it was claimed to be a sell out despite the thousands of empty seats.

They are a public body, i agree, didn't one of our fellow Owlstalkers contact them last season and had a chat ? sure someone did, but never really got much out of them.

9 hours ago, fpowl said:

Can't disagree enough if you build a stadium to accommodate you can host major conferemces and events these are huge commercially and Sheffield in general located in the middle of our country as terrible facilities to host the high earning events.

plus like most business the purchase are not often bought out right they or leased or loan put based taking out a loan weather personal or bank the purchase bevaomes a part of your assets and will be shown on your balance. Sheet as depreciation. Once this hits 0 or gets to a value hit you can plan your next planned investment usually a refurbishment. Therefor the move is calculated by paying over a number of years.

i would imagine that a move would be paid for over 20 years plus

to use your figures as an expample 100 million over 20 years is 5 million a year for a stadium this will be easily be achieved if built correctly to maximise revenue and save costs. I bet just rebuilding Hillsbrough with moder technology with massive save power and and water. And I know the design could make huge staffing costs but f built in the right way to increase sales but reduce labour, then you can consider the sale of Hillsbrough to reduce that figure payed back annually or period it's payed back in.

commercially it's extremely cost effective.

Sheffield Arena is for concerts etc, building a new bowl just so we can do a couple of gigs is ridiculous. Since the building of Leeds Arena, Sheffield is struggling to attract events, another white elephant is not needed.

Paying for a stadium over 20 years is utter lunacy, what if we ended up with 20 yrs like the last? The club would be gone but there'd be a big shiny bowl for Take That.

The ground needs a bit of TLC, the World Cup plans are ideal. No need for a move whatsoever.

I think the issues are :

The way Hillsborough is treated as a special case compared to other grounds. SYP have become so risk averse that it affects their judgement.

The resulting overly cautious segregation and capacity limitations is costing the club money. Granted its only for maybe five games a season but losing for example, 3,000 from 5 games is 15,000 people x £40 = £600,000 lost.

It's big money and it feels like we are being treated in a manner which other aren't.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

We need to knock down Leppings Lane stand (should've done so in 1989) and rebuild it into a proper modern stand, probably with a lower capacity than it has now, so these segregation problems are mitigated.

DC complains he can't invest anymore money in the squad because of FFP, so why not spend the money on this instead? 

16 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

North West Corner is condemned so that's a whole bunch of seats that we can take out of the question.  And there will always have to be some segregation of home and away fans.  But we should be able to fully fill 3 sides with no segregation or restrictions.  The West stand can be worked on.

Its been "condemned" since well before Wycombe fans were on it, has it ever been officially said that it actually is? 

Here's a plan - demolish the NW corner and in the space created put a fan park for home fans.  Can have a big marquee with bars and food, big screen TV's, a stage for interviews with players / ex-players.  The club will make back the money it costs to knock down the eyesore in no time and SKY can still have their box built on scaffolding at the front.

Everyone's a winner!

It's time for Wednesday to get a new ground. We'll always be treated unfairly after the actions of Liverpool fans all those years ago. There are so many seats empty even at 33.000. 

Yes sir, until we move we will always have to pay for what Liverpool supporters did to their own fans. 

• Like 1

The West stand and triangle need bulldozing ,we all know that and be replaced with a brand new stand that joins onto the north with the north stand side being for home fans ,and the other side for away fans. most other clubs manage quite easily to house home and away supporters in the same stand . 

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/steel-city-derby-police-have-no-say-on-ticket-allocations-or-capacity-of-stadiums-in-sheffield-says-top-copper-1-8762488

The man in charge of policing this Sunday's Steel City derby has said the force does not decide on ticket allocations and the capacity of stadiums. The man in charge of policing this Sunday's Steel City derby has said the force does not decide on ticket allocations and the capacity of stadiums. Many fans have voiced displeasure at the amount of tickets available to travelling Sheffield United supporters - around 2,300. Sheffield District Commander and temporary Chief Superintendent Shaun Morley also revealed that Sheffield Wednesday supporters travelling to Bramall Lane in January's return fixture will also see the same amount of tickets after the Blades set their maximum away allocation at the start of the season. The Star understand Owls fans will be charged no more than £32 for the return fixture due to reciprocal pricing for home fans. Speaking after a police meeting at Hillsborough stadium, Chf Supt Morley said: "Sheffield United's standard away allocation is 2,339 so as a result of that, Sheffield Wednesday have reciprocated what they know is going to be their ticket allocation so they've only issued Sheffield United with the same amount. "So there is no safety issues from us, that's a decision relating to the two clubs and it's not a South Yorkshire Police matter." Back in April, it was announced that the capacity inside Hillsborough was reduced to 33,800 despite the stadium holding 39,732 seats. Owls officials said they have been locked in talks with the Sheffield Safety Advisory Group (SAG), South Yorkshire Police and South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service throughout the campaign regarding the cut. They have managed to increase this by around 1,000 seats. But Chf Supt Morley reiterated the force had nothing to do with the amount of seats used for segregation and the overall capacity of stadiums. "Again, this isn't something the police advises on. All the safety issues inside the ground will rest with the club and the club safety officer."We will support that safety operation inside but it is not our responsibility."

6 hours ago, Ian said:

This article makes no mention of dislike of the actual stadium itself - it's the security, price of beer, ticketing policy and Tuesday night game that is criticised, not the actual stadium itself......all of which have come in for just as much criticism at Hillsborough.

Having said all that I think comparison between baseball and football stadiums is a bit apples and pears. Having been to a baseball game myself (and 1 is more than enough!) what I noticed most is that the sport is a background event. Baseball is about a family day out with the opportunity to eat as much crap as possible with a game going on on the background and I guess modern stadiums are set up to accommodate this....Football is about football (for most of us)

Ye, that article I provided may not have been the best example, but I've read plenty of articles which criticise the new Yankee stadium design for producing a sterile atmosphere. A criticism of many modern football stadiums like the Emirates.

This article in the NY Post (2015) is a prime example of the old ballparks (Fenway is 2nd and Wrigley Field 5th) being ranked higher than the new $2 billion new Yankee Stadium (9th).

http://nypost.com/2015/06/23/ranking-the-30-mlb-ballparks-from-the-scenic-to-the-awful/

I agree comparing baseball ground to football ground is comparing "apples and pears", but I still think a quality revamp of Hillsborough, with its scenic position next to river don and park, will yield a far better result than a sterile bowl near meadowhall.

5 hours ago, Sgt Wilko said:

Here's a plan - demolish the NW corner and in the space created put a fan park for home fans.  Can have a big marquee with bars and food, big screen TV's, a stage for interviews with players / ex-players.  The club will make back the money it costs to knock down the eyesore in no time and SKY can still have their box built on scaffolding at the front.

Everyone's a winner!

A fan park right next the away fans and the opposite side of the ground to the Kop and South? 

SYP & SAG would put that idea in the bin without a moments thought.

8 hours ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

Sheffield Arena is for concerts etc, building a new bowl just so we can do a couple of gigs is ridiculous. Since the building of Leeds Arena, Sheffield is struggling to attract events, another white elephant is not needed.

Paying for a stadium over 20 years is utter lunacy, what if we ended up with 20 yrs like the last? The club would be gone but there'd be a big shiny bowl for Take That.

The ground needs a bit of TLC, the World Cup plans are ideal. No need for a move whatsoever.

Wow