The Moaners were always with us - from 1890.

Now't like getting behind the team - though for a moment I thought I was reading a letter from this season ;-) .  They were published following a 6-3 to Bolton in September 1890.   The goalkeeper Smith, I have read,  was Wednesday's best pre-League goalkeeper ( and combined his duties with working in the Steelworks).

Also nice to see we've always had our bugger off earlies- probably wanted to be 1st in the queue for the Hamsom Cab :-)

11-12-1890a.jpeg.8f166b77d239280be6928d5df7d7f39a.jpeg

1890b.jpeg.e154314ffeae1284bf6e19df412bfd74.jpeg

1890c.jpeg.34ffbe36b92f612dc6f34441a8f8c1cd.jpeg

12-12-1890.jpeg.21c4c8f307af5e92ba02ef50611cae6c.jpeg

Edited by dunsbyowl
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

We have improved ...We may still be moaners of the worst kind but at least we refrain from the Bum Licking subservience to our Journalists and editors.

" Sir will you allow me a small space in your valuable Newspaper"  Sickeningly cringe worthy or were we simply more polite and respectful in the 19th century lol 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

We have improved ...We may still be moaners of the worst kind but at least we refrain from the Bum Licking subservience to our Journalists and editors.

" Sir will you allow me a small space in your valuable Newspaper"  Sickeningly cringe worthy or were we simply more polite and respectful in the 19th century lol 

Bloody hell Nev have you not watched Downton Abbey or Upstairs Downstairs?

The Press were a powerful influential institution that could Start Wars create a scandal, bring down Goverments and end a kings reign ..

Not like today's impartial and politically correct media (sick bag required)

By the way have you seen the size of them Norks on page 6!!!!?lol

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST
  • Haha 1

I just wonder, How many on OT have actually corresponded by letters to a friend. I admit at 67 years of age very little on my part; Unlike some of my deceased relatives who had several bundles of letters all tied up with a length of ribbon from different friends and relatives. Often thrown out post mortem rather than savoured for history!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, dunsbyowl said:

Now't like getting behind the team - though for a moment I thought I was reading a letter from this season ;-) .  They were published following a 6-3 to Bolton in September 1890.   The goalkeeper Smith, I have read,  was Wednesday's best pre-League goalkeeper ( and combined his duties with working in the Steelworks).

Also nice to see we've always had our bugger off earlies- probably wanted to be 1st in the queue for the Hamsom Cab :-)

11-12-1890a.jpeg.8f166b77d239280be6928d5df7d7f39a.jpeg

1890b.jpeg.e154314ffeae1284bf6e19df412bfd74.jpeg

1890c.jpeg.34ffbe36b92f612dc6f34441a8f8c1cd.jpeg

12-12-1890.jpeg.21c4c8f307af5e92ba02ef50611cae6c.jpeg

He still posts on here after every defeat.

• He's just changed his username.lol
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

You missed a page, may I assist?

Sir, 

I would also wish to comment on the quality of the pies, the cow heel and tripe in shortcrust pastry were at best luke warm, and at three pence each you are nothing less than a highwayman minus the mask, and why was there a shortage of Henderson's Relish, is three farthings a bottle too expensive?

Also although not in your remit, I parked my pony and trap on Richards Road only on returning to find one carriage lamp missing and my pony in a very distressed state following it being painted in red and white stripes by some idiot who is reported to have been singing a song about dripping fried potatoes encased in two slabs of white bread, I further understand him to be called Brian.

You will note that I am far from impressed and am considering my future support of The Wednesday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, qantas said:

"Will you pardon me for trespassing on your space?"

Best sentence I've read for years....I don't know how yet but I'm going to use that at some point....brilliant.

My great grandmother who was born in 1874 (same year as Churchill) read three Red Circle library books a week, without spectacles in her tiny cottage that had no electricity, well into her 80's. She had received very little formal education, brought up five kids and could have left some of out current bright stars standing. My endearing memory of her was to listen to her tell the story of her great aunt (might have been great, great aunt) as a little girl, waving to Wellington on his return from victory at Waterloo, just think, from her to her to me in circa 145 years.

There was only reading, writing and speaking in those days, no correcting spelling mistakes on a tablet, like I've just done. garymegson

• Like 1

On 19/09/2017 at 13:19, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Back in the day though space to express your views was scarce and therefore valuable. Not like all this space on the internet these days!!! lol