December 1890 The 1st time we met (and stuffed) the Blunts

Thought Owlstalkers may be interested in the reports of the first time The Wednesday met the upstarts from the Lane.

Having initially refused to acknowledge Wednesday's position as the leading club in the town and demanding lots be drawn to choose a venue for the 1st meeting - by 1890 the Junior Blades had given in and agreed to play at Olive Grove. Forever in Our Shadow.

August%201890_zpsvtiifbgw.jpeg

1890p_zps9f97mt2b.jpeg

The match was eagerly anticipated and took place at the Wednesday Ground on a Monday afternoon on 15th December 1890 with a planned KO of 2.30.

15-12-1890x_zpsmbnz7zsv.jpeg

15-1890Time_zpsmucbrdq6.jpeg

1890%20events_zpseb365zsj.jpeg

15-12-1890z_zpsjbvxsf0y.jpeg

Match report

15-12-1890%20-%20A_zpsdsjzy9bk.jpeg

1890B_zpswty0r4cv.jpeg

1890C_zpsk5b9qhf4.jpeg

1890D_zpsaeejtfiw.jpeg

1890E_zpsfndnlwn4.jpeg

1890F_zpsikbktezx.jpeg

1890%20h_zps9r9hwuxf.jpeg

Edited by dunsbyowl
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, alanharper said:

More references to "Sheffield Wednesday", long before we officially changed the name.

glad you mentioned that coz i'm always banging on about it when dunsby posts .......probably tell i'm not a fan when we have threads saying we should switch back to being called "the Wednesday".

Can I just point you all in the direction of the new "Sheffield Wednesday History" section, where slowly but surely Dunsby's fantastic threads are being moved to when they have run their course in the Matchday section. Along with other posters historical threads this gives you the chance to browse through loads of interesting articles on our great clubs history. Of course anyone wanting to contribute are encouraged to do so.

https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/forum/165-sheffield-wednesday-history/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, torryowl said:

glad you mentioned that coz i'm always banging on about it when dunsby posts .......probably tell i'm not a fan when we have threads saying we should switch back to being called "the Wednesday".

However, they are newspaper clippings, and not official club publications.

I'd be interested to know how the club officials and fans referred to the club until the official name change in 1929, as I've seen old team photos with them wearing "W.F.C" rather than "S.W.F.C" on the training tops.

Edited by northderbyshireowl

25 minutes ago, northderbyshireowl said:

However, they are newspaper clippings, and not official club publications.

I'd be interested to know how the club officials and fans referred to the club until the official name change in 1929, as I've seen old team photos with them wearing "W.F.C" rather than "S.W.F.C" on the training tops.

on the olive grove main stand written across the roof was "Sheffield Wednesday"...........

• Like 1

On 9/18/2017 at 21:21, torryowl said:

on the olive grove main stand written across the roof was "Sheffield Wednesday"...........

Is that the stand they brought with them and was replaced by the current South Stand that was built in 1914?

da7e77fddfd7d3d82eb60447a911d616--sheffield-wednesday-manchester-united.jpg

Looks like the South Stand originally said "The Wednesday Football Club" rather than "Sheffield Wednesday", though its difficult to decipher what is written under "Football". Odd that they didn't stick with the same wording as was on the previous Olive Grove stand.

Edited by northderbyshireowl