Van aken

Well on those highlights it looked like a superb display of distribution.

Strangely if you look at some of our play  from 15-16 for example FF's disallowed goal against Brighton and a few goals against Brentford at home (I think, among others) I seem to remember we were very direct at times and Van Aken could be an example of Carlos reverting back to early,direct through balls from the back.  The problem is with this option you tend to need pace up front or on the wings!

39 minutes ago, northeastowl said:

It says something that he actually outshines Tom Lees. 

Yes, I'm gonna say that's probably a good thing for Tom as he strikes me as a player that just wants to go about his business in the background. Van Aken looks confident and assured, you can see glimpses of continental swagger that I'm sure will develop nicely under CC and Loovens. 

Still early days for him him and we should resist the temptation to get too excited but the fact CC has played him so soon speaks volumes. 

Edited by Morepork

Great to see him carrying the ball out of defence, enables the rest of the team to push forward and creates a headache for the opposition, 

the goal yesterday was evident, JVA brought the ball out of defence, their player didn't know whether to stay with the man he was marking or go to the ball, ended up trying to go to the ball, creating space in behind. 

Great to see a defender do this releave so much pressure, I think we have a little diamond in our team. 

Early days in in the season but I'm becoming quietly confident and optimistic on our season

Guest We Shall Overcome

'What a Player' Thank God the Chairman listened to one of his advisors, and not Carvalhal,who wanted to sign 'Charlie Mulgrew from Blackburn' and play him at Centre Half on the advise of some of our Scottish Contingent.Maybe the Chairman has finally woken up.   

15 minutes ago, ZIMMY said:

'What a Player' Thank God the Chairman listened to one of his advisors, and not Carvalhal,who wanted to sign 'Charlie Mulgrew from Blackburn' and play him at Centre Half on the advise of some of our Scottish Contingent.Maybe the Chairman has finally woken up.   

Eh?

“I spoke with the manager and the conversation was really good. He was very positive and told me what he thinks of me as a player and what he expects. The manager has a good image of me. It was important he wanted me and I have to show what I can do.”

Sounds like Carlos wanted van Aken to me.