Nigel Worthington

9 minutes ago, Whatahoot said:

What a load of rubbish !!.....Irish was never underrated by Wednesdayites. The most consistant player we had.

Wouldn't go that far.

At the time we had players like Danny Wilson (who really was under rated) Roland Nilsson,  Carlton Palmer who were all very consistent in their performance.

2 minutes ago, HubristicClapper said:

Wouldn't go that far.

At the time we had players like Danny Wilson (who really was under rated) Roland Nilsson,  Carlton Palmer who were all very consistent in their performance.

I would stick by my comment, due to the number of games Irish played for us. Hardly ever put a foot wrong for us or N Ireland

32 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

s-l1600-4.jpg

Always surprised by the ball

Ran really weird too with a kind of hunchback stance with his arms kind of in a crazy C3-P0 stance

Great player though and extremely underrated at Sheffield Wednesday

What a player old Irish was 

12 minutes ago, Whatahoot said:

I would stick by my comment, due to the number of games Irish played for us. Hardly ever put a foot wrong for us or N Ireland

I'd also say we let him go too soon as well.    When he left for Leeds he was still good enough to turn out for us and I was really disappointed to see him at Hillsborough in another clubs colours.

He did have the odd howler though, as someone above mentioned - allowing a goal when he was in charge of goal line clearance and apparently was in dreamland - he also seemed to fall down a lot when running forwards as I recall.   He was very ungainly and almost not what you'd consider a sportsman!   

I know you've said you stick by your comment, but equally I stick with mine.   Palmer in particular never gave less than everything no matter what.

3 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE bobbar TU said:

Best left back I've seen playing for Wednesday

I was too young to remember Megson

Different style of full back to Meggy, who imo was more blood and thunder, while Irish was more refined, although still tough. Beautiful left foot on Nigel, took a great free kick. Not a lot to seperate their effectiveness. But I would agree that no one has bettered Worthington since, in that position.