Cardiff 1 - 1 Sheffield Wednesday : OMDT

7 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Been a strange week here at Snooty Towers. My man, Stubbs, has gone away for a fortnights break. In London of all places.  Not the sort of place you'd really expect a chap to take a rest.  Though I gather he hails from those parts originally.  I heard him on the phone earlier in the week whispering  to someone in his  low growl about 'taking care of business'. He also said he was going to 'put a few more holes in the fackin doughnut'. Why anyone would want more than one hole in a doughnut is beyond me. 

p_R166608.jpg

I've since discovered one of the guns is missing out of the rack. I don't know why he's taken that with him. Sure I'll have to grill the beggar when he gets back.

I've been on to the agency to get  in a replacement valet for a fortnight. They sent me a little chap, Jemson. Surly faced scout if ever I saw one.  Takes his time getting about the place too. I rang the bell last night as I fancied some crumpets and a pot of tea as I was getting to rather an exciting place in my book. Well, it fair took him an age to arrive.  I went to find him myself and saw him admiring himself in the mirror in the hallway. Thought he was too good for the job. Wouldn't do and so I have got on the phone and asked them to send me someone else at once.     He slunk his way out with a face like a miserable teenager.  Imagine my horror when later in the evening my scullery maid  came up to the study and informed me that the meat store had been emptied. Completely ransacked.   No cast-iron evidence it was him of course. But hard to not jump to conclusions.

Anyway. They've sent me another replacement , Tillman. We'll see how we go on with him.  He seems a decent sort of Johnny. His first test will be in the morning , we'll see how he does at breakfast. I'll need a good one . I have the builders coming around. The battlements on the South side have been in disrepair since the war. O'Reilly is coming to do it. Recommended by the B&B owner in the village. Anyway the upshot of all this is I won't be going tomorrow.

My first away game miss in some time so I'll be needing regular updates from you chumps...

21742952_10156091350746111_2980356927048

Cardiff City - V- Wednesday

Quite a week too for the Wednesday. Six points from the last two.  Forest those damnable thieves who stole 'Hood' from us were sent packing after comfortable win for us. Then Brentford an-uncomfortable win.  Quite how they are propping up the table with Bolton I have no idea.  But it does prove the old adage a win is a win.

I was slightly surprised to see the Warhorse Fletcher start against Brentford. Especially with this game on the horizon.  I know, I know. Every game as it comes. One match at a time and all that.  But the big Scot (I know he's from Shrewsbury, stop nit-picking, it doesn't help the Scottish Warrior narrative I'm trying to paint here. For Gods sake)  

As I was saying. The big Scot is an absolute warrior at the top end of the park. Throwing himself into aerial duals , getting clattered from arsèhole to breakfast.  He's just the sort of  chap a team needs on the road. Especially down there in the land of Dragons. OR bluebirds. Or is that all still a bit of a sore subject? Either way.  This is a Warnock side. Two units at the back who'll be only too ready to dish it out.  This will be a battle. Always his with him. They'll be lobbing the ball in our box like grenades.

There's two ways to beat a Warnock side in my book.  You've got to match them up and have a battering ram up there to give you an outball, someone to hold it up and let your team get out as their kitchen sink is thrown at our back line or you hit them with pace.

We haven't actually got any pace. So that's why Fletcher is so vital.  Unless Joao comes in from the cold.  

Warnock has hardly changed his team at all this year.  Nearly the same side every week unless someone has a knock. 

CARDIFF - MOST USED SIDE 

21742827_10156087609851111_5906425620996

The one to watch for them is the lad Medez-Laing who has got 5 goals in 6 starts from the wing. Impressive in anyones book. Reach will have to be at his best. But one has to wonder if this is one of the changes that Carlos was talking about in his press conference. To let this lad expose space is to ask for trouble. Might the experienced Pudil come in to face him and Reach be used on the left of midfield to give us the legs?

Old Warnocks a rum old cove and no mistake. But put aside the groucho nose and the Pantomime villain act and he’s got an incredible record in the football league. Seven (7) promotions.  You don’t pull that off by fluke. He’s often , with the exception of QPR , done it without the best squad in the division too. 

Course, I’m not saying the fiend will do it again but they have had a superb start. Interestingly their two defeats this season have been against teams which have been described on here as being terrible.  Burton in the Cup and Preston in their last outing in the League.

21765100_10156087625471111_7513245854740

Carlos says we will play differently against Cardiff. And it has to be said my old chums, that that isn’t too hard to imagine. Not least since this season Wednesday seem to be able to play differently in the second half to how they did the first!  

One minute we’re sitting back inviting trouble like an Eriksson era England side, defending a lead which we haven’t got.  The next we’re closing down and pushing on and thundering down the slope (even though it’s gone) like a Wilkinson team in its pomp for eight minute spells.  God knows what we'll do tomorrow from one minute to the next.

We all know old Neils style. Get it in the mixer. And why not? Works for him.  Up front they have Albin Kenneth Dahrup Zohore, the archetypal Warnock striker. Big, powerful , bustling and bruising.  Lees will know what is in store but it might be the first time that our new centre half Eddie Van Halen gets a taste of some old fashioned British football. Pinging the passes from the back is one thing.  Having Warnocks lot wrestling and grappling while they slap their balls in your box is quite another.

21751513_10156091347336111_2184865470620

Perhaps old Carlos will throw a curve ball in. Truth is though. I don’t think he can with the current injuries; so many options have been taken from us.

4-2-3-1?  - We only have one fit defensive midfield player and it’s an outrageous waste of Bannan or Lee to stick them in front of the back four with Jones-eh. I mean, Jones. 

3-5-2?   -  We could of course go 3 at the back. But that’s a gamble with not much preparation time. And with Medez-Laing on fire would it really be wise to play a lone wingback against him? We struggled enough defending the flank on Tuesday when Reach in theory should have had help from first Lee and then Bannan.  

4-1-4-1?  The one that could make a difference as it would give us compactness out wide AND  strength in the middle.

The only problem is….

…………unless Fletcher is fit who plays up top? 

The lone role.... It’s one that doesn’t really suit Hooper and it certainly doesn’t suit Rhodes.  

Joao or Nuhiu in from the cold?  Highly unlikely I'd have thought. 

If Fletcher or Hooper are anywhere near fit they’ll play , surely?

I think, injuries permitting, it’ll be the standard away 4-4-1-1 despite what the gaffer says  changing things up. Only changes I can see are in personnel.  

21742969_10156091362531111_1228292585986

Crikey. I'm really not a fan of the bruised banana away kit.  Still. It's going to be a bruising encounter so maybe it's the right gear for the day.

Anyway. Must dash.  

COME ON WEDNESDAY

Im getting a big fan of your footballing analysis, Snoots - keen them coming! I actually think we will go with our pragmatic 4-4-2 formation today with Pudil coming in for Kieran Lee. Like you say, given their right winger is on fire, I expect Pudil to play left back and Reach to play in front of him. It's an opportunity to give Kieran Lee some rest as his injury needs managing. I only expect that change unless Fletch or Wallace need taking out of the team due to injury. 1-1 score draw today.

Was it just me who read 'put a few more holes in the fackin doughnut'   in the voice of Ray Winstone?

Brilliant Snoots. I really enjoy these.

Tough game and the obvious scores today are 1-0 either way, or my expected 1-1. We will have our 25 minutes of Brazil on steroids, and 65 minutes of backs to the wall.

Hooper is on fire. My hope is that however few chances we make, Hooper bangs them in. And Fletch is good for a goal any minute if any game these days.

Great times.

Excellent, Snoots!

Having some work on the hovel roof done myself, but not by the hideous orangutan. Looks mighty fine at the moment.

This is the toughest game we will face all season, in my opinion. If we can get something here I think we can be very confident of an interesting Springtime For Hillsborough.

That said, I reckon we will have to work our purdy lil' ol' socks off to get booger all today and I will be happy with a grim, ground-out nil/nil draw, and that's what I think it will be; bore 'em to death like we did in the 1st leg of the playoff against Huddersfield.

Nice one, pauli, but it isn't Halloween yet. You can stop larking around and remove that Victorian era serial killer garb.

Although our last few performances have been less than perfect, we're looking more and more like the football team you'd expect us to resemble, given some of the talent at our disposal. This might not be the best time to be playing a Colin team, but I imagine most Championship clubs would tell you that there's never a good time to play us either.

The odd goal will likely settle things today. I'm going to hedge my bets and say either team could win this one 2-1, but you all know what my preference is.

Come on Wednesday! UTO!