Sheffield Football - police costs revealed

17 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

image.jpg

Sheffield Wednesday's home games proved easily the most costly to police, at more than £430,000, though the Owls did provide nearly £200,000 towards that sum.

South Yorkshire Police said it has yet to finalise its budget for policing football matches this season, which will of course include the Sheffield derbies. It has five football liaison officers, who work with the clubs to keep disorder to a minimum. Each match is ranked based on the number of fans expected, the two sides' history and the potential risk posed by fans who may be intent on causing trouble.

The force says it is responsible for policing outside the stadiums and clubs are expected to ensure safety and security within. Clubs can request additional police support within their ground, for which they must pay on a match-by-match basis.

If the club are expected to do the job of the police inside the stadium why the hell do we have to pay them to stand around every week doing nothing?

During the Rangers "friendly" when there was some disturbance in the north stand, a group of fat middle aged stewards earning their beer money, and skinny young students doing the same, were trying to calm things down while a dozen or so big strong plods stood like tailor's dummies at each end of the stand and contributed nothing whatsoever. When I suggested to them that they ought to get involved, I was told by a steward that it was not what they (the police) were there for.

The jobs gone crazy, and it costs the club a fortune.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/our-towns-and-cities/sheffield/revealed-the-1-1m-cost-of-policing-football-matches-in-south-yorkshire-1-8751755

17 hours ago, vulva said:

I think football has got a cheek to whinge at the cost of policing football matches. Hundreds of millions of pounds are spunked away on third rate players and con job agents, and yet a few hundred grand to make sure people are kept safe from the utter urchins that attend football matches is frowned upon. 

Please read my post above re the Rangers friendly.

21 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

The police often release things like this in an attempt to get public support for charging clubs to police matches and yet I'm not aware of any attempts to get the pubs and clubs to help contribute to the costs of policing Friday and Saturday nights down town every single weekend of the year.

But pubs and clubs DO pay for the police service.

They pay business rates to their local authority, who provide that very service.  From the net........

Business rates explained

All businesses benefit from the services that local authorities provide. Some services directly benefit business, for instance roads, the police and fire brigade.

2 hours ago, cross owl said:

How come syp has just released figures for the amount of overtime it has paid ? 

That is the overall cost to  the Police in dealing with Football Policing. No where in  the article does it state that is the amount of over time that is paid to  the individual policemen and women.

5 hours ago, Lincs Owl said:

They pay business rates to their local authority, who provide that very service.  From the net........

Business rates explained

All businesses benefit from the services that local authorities provide. Some services directly benefit business, for instance roads, the police and fire brigade.

It'd be interesting to see if any of them paid the £200k that Wednesday paid towards policing matches considering the police are required at least 2 nights per week every single week in the city centre.

This article is just another attempt by the police to get public backing for pursuing football clubs for more money.

The police are not the problem. Morons are the problem. 

I sometimes get the tram from town with away fans. On a number of occasions it resembles a zoo. In recent times I can remember Preston, Leeds and Barnsley causing trouble. I'm not sure how these people actually get through the day. If it costs us as a football club a contribution of £200,000 to help corral these cattle, then I've no problem.

To put it into context Abdi earns that on his own in around 3 months.  

8 hours ago, Lincs Owl said:

Business rates explained

I'm sure SWFC will pay business rates also.

On 9/14/2017 at 09:53, Last_Great_Hope said:

They don't get paid overtime - they get time in lieu.

thats even worse then that the policing overlords are dragging far too many coppers in for a non risk game to give overtime out meaning; a) they logistically cant take the overtime due to depleted numbers thus exhausting the policing staff and ensuring they will have a bad mood during their work time, which in turn can have very serious life long consequences for anyone criminal or not that comes in to contact with them. or b) at tiömes too few officers will be on duty at a given time where europe is facing the biggest and most random terror attacks ever known.

there is no spin on it that cleans it up. they are doing something underhand and the citizens are paying for it either in money or risk.

policing in general needs to be controlled by a neutral outside group given full cooperation and the power to look through all police financing and practices

The man at the top of SYP was interviewed on RS earlier this week. The first caller asked him 'why can't SYP cope with a derby match ko at 3pm on a Saturday' not just us v pigs, but any derby under their authority.

The Chief Constable said ' the earlier the ko, the less people arrive in drink' which was a nice, short direct answer to a fair question. Good on him.

The trouble is, how many Spoons pubs are there within a 5/10 mile radius of S6? How many supermarkets / offies can legally sell beer from 10am onwards on a Sunday?

Credit where it's due to the man for his non waffle answer, but I think he's naïve in the extreme if he thinks a 1:15 ko will alter the numbers who turn up hissed.