Sheffield Football - police costs revealed

image.jpg

Sheffield Wednesday's home games proved easily the most costly to police, at more than £430,000, though the Owls did provide nearly £200,000 towards that sum.

South Yorkshire Police said it has yet to finalise its budget for policing football matches this season, which will of course include the Sheffield derbies. It has five football liaison officers, who work with the clubs to keep disorder to a minimum. Each match is ranked based on the number of fans expected, the two sides' history and the potential risk posed by fans who may be intent on causing trouble.

The force says it is responsible for policing outside the stadiums and clubs are expected to ensure safety and security within. Clubs can request additional police support within their ground, for which they must pay on a match-by-match basis.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/our-towns-and-cities/sheffield/revealed-the-1-1m-cost-of-policing-football-matches-in-south-yorkshire-1-8751755

Owlstalk Shop

Sheffield Wednesday's home games proved easily the most costly to police, at more than £430,000, though the Owls did provide nearly £200,000 towards that sum.

So it cost us just over £230,000 net.    23 home games.   £10-11,000 per game. 27,000 ave crowd so about 35p per person per game.   Actually cheaper than I thought.  I'd pay that to be protected from those naughty Leeds and Millwall fans, especially that Aaron Cawley.  

The police often release things like this in an attempt to get public support for charging clubs to police matches and yet I'm not aware of any attempts to get the pubs and clubs to help contribute to the costs of policing Friday and Saturday nights down town every single weekend of the year.

1 minute ago, TheEnchanter said:

Good job for them we've got a sanitised game in the UK so they don't really have to do much other than twiddle their thumbs. 

Even when they do have something to do they just video it and do nothing.  Hoping to spend thousands on identifying someone so that they can turn up with twenty police cars at four in the morning to arrest someone who they could have dealt with immediately for free . 

33 minutes ago, Finlux_Cup said:

Reight annoys me those coppers stood 6 a breast across the road after matches, they just get in the fv.ckin way, they're pointless,  we always wait for an old bloke we know who's in his 80's after matches and walk up Lepps Lane with him, after the Fulham game last season, there was a fair few people darting to and fro and the old guy walked straight into one of those coppers, the look of disgust on the coppers face summed that force up to a tee.

There were coppers from Wales at the Fulham game.

Policing of football is still based on the 1980s. Millwall on a Tuesday night. Oh god they are right bad best bring in dogs n horses from all over the north of England. Oh testicles there's only players mums and dad turned up! Some of you will know I used to be on the job and it used to crease me going to football briefings with people who were so out of touch with football reality. I tried to help but eventually just gave up. Now I feel free to take the wee wee

• Like 1

I think football has got a cheek to whinge at the cost of policing football matches. Hundreds of millions of pounds are spunked away on third rate players and con job agents, and yet a few hundred grand to make sure people are kept safe from the utter urchins that attend football matches is frowned upon.