Joost

10 hours ago, Baldrick said:

Not as good as Saturday but very good on the ball and distribution gives us something extra

Just dives in a bit too soon on tackles for me so could be liable for giving away silly free kicks 

So far so good though

Could just be that things are different in the Dutch leagues, maybe refs there are a bit more lenient when players dive in. 

9 hours ago, Will69 said:

Like i said last game he is OK. Nothing more. The way people were banging on Saturday you would think he was the next Dutch class defender in waiting. He's never going to be capped, put it that way. But for us in this league he's OK.

Same as last game, his positioning is not great. He regularly gets caught a yard off his man and occasionally on the wrong side, which I said on Saturday better teams will capitalise on and tonight Brentford seemed capable of doing so. The top, top teams would tear holes in him at present but he will learn and grow.

I hope tonight has dampened down expectations on the poor lad and will let him develop and make mistakes and learn without half the people on here thinking he is the messiah. 

He has been capped, U21's :ph34r:

Really promising start. I suspect he is going to be good for five or six goals too. 

There are some huge huge tests coming up. Warnock will rough him up to see if he wilts. The passion of a Sheffield Derby will be something very different, as I don't imagine that Herenveen v Groningen has quite the same blood and thunder. 

Good start though.

He will be alright, huge step up coming from the Dutch league with only two decent teams and less physicality. He looks good to me, composed and will be a real asset to us as others have said think there will be a lot more to his game than just defending.. 

One think I hope happens is that "when" if and when he does have a poor game, if he can be spared the torrent of abuse etc that certain posters on this site likes to heap on players - amount of criticism Reach was getting last year was ridiculous (just needed time not abuse). 

He needs to stay on his feet a bit more which, to be fair, he did the 2nd half. He'll still be adapting to the pace of the game over here and it will take a while for him to build a partnership with Lees. 

Without Loovens I feel the defence can look disjointed. I'd like to see Lees step up, as the senior centreback, and do more organising/talking on the pitch to help JVA settle in. At times yesterday Lees was dropping in when the others were looking to come out - creating danger by playing them onside quite a lot.  Better teams may take advantage.

Edited by WUGGAMONKEY1

11 hours ago, Feelthepayne said:

The offside trap part of your post is rubbish, i'm not sure either linesman knew the offside rulelol

No, it wasn't rubbish. The Brentford style particularly in the first half caught us napping several times. They appeared two yards faster on the ball than we were. having said that, the Lino on the South made (or didn't make) at least 2 glaring offside decisions and wasn't able to keep up with lay at times. That said, how many of the Fans know the full implications of the Offside Rule. Many of ours do not, screaming for the Lino to flag for offside before the player receives the ball. Don't forget that a player can be in an off side position if he is not interfering with play. 

2 hours ago, Andoverowl said:

He has been capped, U21's :ph34r:

Thats not capped then is it? Officially you are capped by the senior international team in a competitive fixture. Giggs played for England youth teams but was capped by Wales.

14 hours ago, Bodhidharma said:

Was the first chance for me to have a look at him tonight.

Ok he looks a good long passer, but he wasn't as assured as i was expecting after all the praise on sat..

Still got some developing to do. And I'm not sure if this was his fault or just the defensive line, but they sprung our offside trap time and again.

Maybe he was better on sat but on that performance he doesn't look prem class just yet.

Not one of our players looked as good as they did on Saturday - let the man settle in, he looks potentially a very good signing to me lol

13 hours ago, SiJ said:

Early days isn't it. 

Has a nice range of passing and you can see the potential. 

Tbf to the lad I'm not sure he'd have been thrown in quite so quickly were it not for the fact that Loovens is out. 

What do you reckon will happen when Loovens is fit? You think he'll come back into the team or you think Joost has the place to lose now? 

While not perfect, his 2 performances have been at a standard that show he could be a fantastic signing.

He's going to be at fault for a few goals this season but I can see him contributing positively far more often. I think the fans need to appreciate he needs some time and give him some slack over the next few months. We could have a special player on our hands here if we treat him right. 

17 minutes ago, LiamAP22D said:

What do you reckon will happen when Loovens is fit? You think he'll come back into the team or you think Joost has the place to lose now? 

Has to be van Aken's to lose for me

No doubt that Loovens currently has the experience and physicality to be the better Championship defensive force, but van Aken's mobility and ability to help us be a better offensive force as a team- coupled with so-far competent defending- says to me he deserves to partner Lees for the time being. Potential there for him to become a really good Champ defender over the next 12 months, let's see if he can grow into that

Has done ok in his first two games, too early to really judge him. But our chairman is going to have to up the budget for footballs if Joost keeps kicking the ball on top of the North Stand !!! He nearly did it again in the second half. I can't remember the last time our groundsman had to retreive a ball from up there. I remember Don Megson doing it. Anyone else achieved that particular distinction ?

4 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Has to be van Aken's to lose for me

No doubt that Loovens currently has the experience and physicality to be the better Championship defensive force, but van Aken's mobility and ability to help us be a better offensive force as a team- coupled with so-far competent defending- says to me he deserves to partner Lees for the time being. Potential there for him to become a really good Champ defender over the next 12 months, let's see if he can grow into that

So you don't really know.