Joost

9 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Yes. I can't get this season.

I'll have to read it in the morning.

But I'd appreciate it over the tea and toast.

Mine would be...

Poor first half. Excellent first 25 of the second. Poor last 20.

Brentford pass it around with speed and aplomb. Sweeping the ball wide to pacy powerful wingers, especially Watkins who gave Reach a very testing night, a task to which Adam stuck manfully, with less help than he usually gets from Bannan.

The Westy howler set the tone for a lacking-in-confidence first half. They could have had more, but we defended stoutly, especially Hunt and Reach.

Our goal came against the run of play. Hooper made a fabulous run, showed Adam exactly where he wanted the pass, Adam played in perfectly, Hooper took it in his stride as only he can, skipped past one, held off two, nipped it past the goalie, then slightly stuffed his finish, but followed it in and put it home.

Second half was fabulous entertainment for 25. Two teams attacking hammer and tongs, with us on top. Fletch was magnificent. Nearly went off on 40, but gave the bench a thumbs up, and I expected he would not come out second half. Instead he lead the line like a lion. At one point near me in the SS near the Kop he brought down a skied ball with two defenders near him and not a blue shirt for miles. He brilliantly fooled them, held them off, twisted back inside and released the now caught-up Wallace....magnificent. The reputation he arrived with from Sunderland....pah! Truly heroic. Becoming a massive favourite of mine, though unlike so many I never lost faith anyway.

Wallace had been terrific all night. Gets MOM from my son and I. Seemed faster, keener, fitter than ever. It was his very strong challenge at the far post from the corner that put the ball back across goal, and when it subsequently came back across he buried it into the roof of the net for a thoroughly deserved goal.

I get a bit negative now. For 25 minutes we had been laying siege. Speed, positivity, momentum, pressing...everything we always yearn for. And boy did it work. After the goal however we lost every gram of that positivity, and we tried to play the last 20-25 minutes out for the 2-1. Rhodes did well when Fletcher's heroic evening ended, and he did really well in tandem with Hooper. Then Carlos got all defensive, swapped Hooper for Butterfield and went 451. From that moment Rhodes looked a fish out of water. Neither he nor the team could keep the ball in their half, so it was attack v defence, often seeing aimless clearances back to their next wave of attack. We should have kept the forward momentum going. We invited pressure.

But it worked. Sixth. Unbeaten in six. Strikers scoring for fun. Partnerships working all over the field. Bannan-Jones, Hooper-Fletcher, Hunt-Wallace, Bannan-Reach. All looking good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trev said:

Thought he did well again today tbf.

Liked the way he stepped out with the ball and played some good passes, especially second half.

Won a few important headers too.

I think his "diving in" is a slight issue, but overall he is a good player with bags of potential. How old is he?

Just seems a little over-eager to please IMO, he desperately doesn't want to let anything go by him which is understandable in his new circumstances. He's only 23, bags of confidence for that age.

Guest RocketOwl
1 hour ago, Bodhidharma said:

Was the first chance for me to have a look at him tonight.

Ok he looks a good long passer, but he wasn't as assured as i was expecting after all the praise on sat..

Still got some developing to do. And I'm not sure if this was his fault or just the defensive line, but they sprung our offside trap time and again.

Maybe he was better on sat but on that performance he doesn't look prem class just yet.

No to be fair mate same sort of performance as Saturday.

He isn't as good (yet) as people on here would have you believe. However, he has played well considering he's new to the league and country. He's only young and needs to fill out and be more commanding. He's a massive improvement on Sasso and will push Loovens hard for the starting line up immediately, which is what we wanted.

8 hours ago, Will69 said:

Like i said last game he is OK. Nothing more. The way people were banging on Saturday you would think he was the next Dutch class defender in waiting. He's never going to be capped, put it that way. But for us in this league he's OK.

Same as last game, his positioning is not great. He regularly gets caught a yard off his man and occasionally on the wrong side, which I said on Saturday better teams will capitalise on and tonight Brentford seemed capable of doing so. The top, top teams would tear holes in him at present but he will learn and grow.

I hope tonight has dampened down expectations on the poor lad and will let him develop and make mistakes and learn without half the people on here thinking he is the messiah. 

Good post and agree totally.  Looks to have all the attributes and has shown good parts of his game already.  However, he hasn't faced what I would describe as a good seasoned Championship striker yet.  I hope in training he is deliberately put up against Fletcher, Hooper and Rhodes to give him a taste of good movement and physicality and what happens when you give them a sniff of a chance.

Here's hoping he learns well and turns into a real player.  It must give Bannan and Jones more confidence to go 10-15 yards further forward because he certainly can distribute the ball well.  I'll be interested to see how forward thinking we are when Butterfield plays too for a spell other than at the harris end of a game.  I said just after we deadline day, that playing these two would move us 20 yards further up the pitch without even doing anything as they will look forward far earlier than we had been doing. 

8 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Mine would be...

Poor first half. Excellent first 25 of the second. Poor last 20.

Brentford pass it around with speed and aplomb. Sweeping the ball wide to pacy powerful wingers, especially Watkins who gave Reach a very testing night, a task to which Adam stuck manfully, with less help than he usually gets from Bannan.

The Westy howler set the tone for a lacking-in-confidence first half. They could have had more, but we defended stoutly, especially Hunt and Reach.

Our goal came against the run of play. Hooper made a fabulous run, showed Adam exactly where he wanted the pass, Adam played in perfectly, Hooper took it in his stride as only he can, skipped past one, held off two, nipped it past the goalie, then slightly stuffed his finish, but followed it in and put it home.

Second half was fabulous entertainment for 25. Two teams attacking hammer and tongs, with us on top. Fletch was magnificent. Nearly went off on 40, but gave the bench a thumbs up, and I expected he would not come out second half. Instead he lead the line like a lion. At one point near me in the SS near the Kop he brought down a skied ball with two defenders near him and not a blue shirt for miles. He brilliantly fooled them, held them off, twisted back inside and released the now caught-up Wallace....magnificent. The reputation he arrived with from Sunderland....pah! Truly heroic. Becoming a massive favourite of mine, though unlike so many I never lost faith anyway.

Wallace had been terrific all night. Gets MOM from my son and I. Seemed faster, keener, fitter than ever. It was his very strong challenge at the far post from the corner that put the ball back across goal, and when it subsequently came back across he buried it into the roof of the net for a thoroughly deserved goal.

I get a bit negative now. For 25 minutes we had been laying siege. Speed, positivity, momentum, pressing...everything we always yearn for. And boy did it work. After the goal however we lost every gram of that positivity, and we tried to play the last 20-25 minutes out for the 2-1. Rhodes did well when Fletcher's heroic evening ended, and he did really well in tandem with Hooper. Then Carlos got all defensive, swapped Hooper for Butterfield and went 451. From that moment Rhodes looked a fish out of water. Neither he nor the team could keep the ball in their half, so it was attack v defence, often seeing aimless clearances back to their next wave of attack. We should have kept the forward momentum going. We invited pressure.

But it worked. Sixth. Unbeaten in six. Strikers scoring for fun. Partnerships working all over the field. Bannan-Jones, Hooper-Fletcher, Hunt-Wallace, Bannan-Reach. All looking good.

Brilliant! Thanks a lot.

Loovens > Van Aken currently

He's only a young lad and new to English football. I'm sure we're all savvy enough to know Dutch football is like one of our training sessions and it will take him a bit of Time to adjust. Like others, I've seen good bits and bad bits to his game but early signs are he knows how to play.

Looking forward to seeing him develop

Everyone needs time to settle in, 6 games at least. Don't forget he is new to England as well, hardly knows anyone and is getting to know the Championship. He will get better with a  run in the side, its a team game so everyone needs to play well. Lot of tired legs last night and players with injuries with little time to recover I am sure he will get even better