Remembering the Legend Ron Springett

He was one of my early heroes as well and the first player I can ever remember getting a 10 rating for his performance in the Sunday papers. The 1-0 win at Leicester in January 1967 it was and I remember watching it on TV; he pulled off some fantastic saves that day.

Interesting to read the bit about Jimmy Greaves. They were apparently big mates and I can remember Greaves missing an absolute sitter at the Lepp and standing there in disbelief watching Ron laugh his head off. 

Thanks Dunsby lovely post.As previous poster said I too only saw him live once. That was in an end of season friendly in Dublin 1967 where he did play centre forward  with brother Peter keeping goal ( for QPR).Actually managed to shake hands and have a quick word with him after the match.

Very much doubt we'll ever have a goalie as good as him, Davey.

You'll also never see another goalie catch the ball with both hands at full stretch from under the upright.......a sight to behold.

As others have said, Ron was my first Wednesday hero, it was pretty sad seeing him leave, possibly the worst swap deal in the history of football.

RIP Ron and Peter.

9 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

I will say this... Ramsey got it totally wrong choosing Punchy Banks over Catchy Springett.

Two great keepers both better than Lev Yashin, but always favoured Ron for his catching and positional ability. A true gent !  

think youve got your blue tinted glasses on nev .......it's commonly excepted  that yashin & banks were 2 of the best theres ever been ......ron was a very good international keeper but a level below them 2 imo and most neutrals as well i'd think .

I'd like to put forward that a new History section should be created on Owlstalk for threads such as this. Some of the things that Dunsby and Kivo especially come up with are fantastic and it would be great to have easy access to them after they have dropped a couple of pages here. It would be great to read and learn the history of our great club.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

think youve got your blue tinted glasses on nev .......it's commonly excepted  that yashin & banks were 2 of the best theres ever been ......ron was a very good international keeper but a level below them 2 imo and most neutrals as well i'd think .

Agreed. Ron was a schoolboy hero of mine but Banks was better..... best I ever saw until some of the modern day greats.

When we were young we used to travel on the train from Retford to Sheffield for home games. On the return journey Ron was always on the same train as us and changed stations at Retford for his journey home to London. He was always besieged by us for autographs and a chat with our hero and never once did he turn any of us away. A true gentleman and rightly regarded as my first Wednesday hero.

• Like 1