Olive Grove - opened September 12th 1887

Great post Dunsby!  Enjoyed reading that.  I've been given a slot at the event in November to talk about my Gt. Grandad Tommy Crawshaw.  I'm also bringing all the medals, in my possession (sixteen), that he won (out of 18 or 19 in total I think), including his two FA Cup Winner's medals, plus three of his England caps; two against Scotland and one against Wales.  I'd bring all ten if I had them, but three is all I have. Is there anything you  - or anyone else on the forum - would want me to especially touch on about Tommy?  I have a few stories handed down within the family to relate as well.  All the best.

3 hours ago, dunsbyowl said:

That's fantastic - look forwaed to hearing about Tom ans seeing those medals.

Any stories about his England appearances?

Didn't he have some interesting experiences later when he became a publican?

Yes he did have some experiences as a publican that could definitely be classed as interesting.  I have one or two that have been passed down, so I'll include them :) 

• Like 1

FAO Dunsby Owl, 

Long time reader, first time poster on this site.

I'm fascinated by the history of Olive Grove as I was born in that neck of the woods and was recently told my Grandfather (died 1934, 19 years before I was born) served Wednesday as masseur during some of the Olive Grove years.

I've done some very basic research but can find no documentary evidence as such.

I was told that once they moved to Hillsborough, he relinquished the job as it was too far to travel!

It would be  good if you could point me in any direction to find if the story is true.

Let me have his name and I'll have a look!

6 hours ago, Olive Grove said:

FAO Dunsby Owl, 

Long time reader, first time poster on this site.

I'm fascinated by the history of Olive Grove as I was born in that neck of the woods and was recently told my Grandfather (died 1934, 19 years before I was born) served Wednesday as masseur during some of the Olive Grove years.

I've done some very basic research but can find no documentary evidence as such.

I was told that once they moved to Hillsborough, he relinquished the job as it was too far to travel!

It would be  good if you could point me in any direction to find if the story is true.

On 19/10/2017 at 13:46, dunsbyowl said:

Let me have his name and I'll have a look!

His name was Thomas Oxley (b 1866.  d 1934). 

He was  well known locally as a professional sprinter who went by the nickname of "Dash". Lived in Arundel Street next to Lord Nelson pub (still standing) and was a good friend of legendary United keeper, Bill 'Fatty' Foulke.

Thanks for any help you may be able to give.