Have Wednesday Pulled Off The Best Signing Of The Season?

8 hours ago, Jeff King's dog said:

Not surprised he pulled his shirt over his face after their third.

He wasn't quite our worst player, but he was up there.

Can people now understand why it is a bit silly to go completely overboard after he'd played one good game and one of the silliest thread titles I have ever seen on here.

Really? Is this what its come to?

Shall I wait until his next good game, and pull out the thread again?

We could play point scoring thread tennis ad infinitum. 

After yesterday's result, your point scoring brings everything into perspective

8 hours ago, Jeff King's dog said:

Not surprised he pulled his shirt over his face after their third.

He wasn't quite our worst player, but he was up there.

Can people now understand why it is a bit silly to go completely overboard after he'd played one good game and one of the silliest thread titles I have ever seen on here.

its not agood time to be smug

15 hours ago, 1963owl said:

its not agood time to be smug

It's not about smug mate, it's trying to make some of our sillier supporters stopping spouting crap prematurely.

Everyone will have a bad game now and then but it was the title of this thread that got on my boobies.

I suppose in deference to the OP, he only said 'best transfer signing of this season', he could have said 'ever'.

16 hours ago, theowlsman said:

Not about point scoring and more about stupid thread titles.

As for perspective, perhaps a bit of reflection won't come amiss from some on here when other 'pub teams' turn us over.

Our players are decent but they aren't world beaters. They really aren't.

4 minutes ago, Jeff King's dog said:

Our players are decent but they aren't world beaters. They really aren't

^^^^ this

it is why I am a little restrained regarding the manager. What if he is actually doing brilliantly with what we've got?

the assumption that they are all amazing is -  well - a delusion. Support them yes - overrate them - No. 

• Like 1

Having seen the 'Defending' by some of the Prem players this season, it seems to me that there are no proper defenders any more.

The modern defenders head the ball flat, we were always told "Height and distance", they never do the simple thing when under pressure, we were always told "Clear your lines", "If in doubt, put it out". They are not taught how to tackle properly these days and so make ridiculous challenges.

There are no real defenders out there to day, just midfielders.

Edited by adelphi1867

42 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

Having seen the 'Defending' by some of the Prem players this season, it seems to me that there are no proper defenders any more.

The modern defenders head the ball flat, we were always told "Height and distance", they never do the simple thing when under pressure, we were always told "Clear your lines", "If in doubt, put it out". They are not taught how to tackle properly these days and so make ridiculous challenges.

There are no real defenders out there to day, just midfielders.

I've put this on here before and was met by posters berating me saying I was daft claiming our pampered stars can defend. You watch some of the basics on this and ask yourself if our defenders follow them? The prime example was Hunt charging in to tackle Brooks who just made him look silly.

18 hours ago, theowlsman said:

Really? Is this what its come to?

Shall I wait until his next good game, and pull out the thread again?

For what it's worth, my interpretation of your original question, is not whether we have signed the best player, or best defender it is, "Have Wednesday pulled off the best signing of the season?"

This seems like a perfectly reasonable question, a leading question, but when for a reasonable amount of money, ie a sum not much higher than we paid for Almen Abdi, who many have down now as a crock that will never play again, we have got a 24 year old centre half who is good in the air, has plenty of confidence to pass the ball out of defence and times his tackles well after playing just a couple of games for us against two of the most aggressive attacking teams we will probably face this season.

Colin's table topping Cardiff at their place, where he moved right up the field with the ball to help set up our goal and against united, where he struggled to contain a very mobile player, but minimised his shooting angle to one that Westwood could easily cover! Of the two players, one is an established player at this level and above who now thinks that it is acceptable as a goalkeeper to come out of his goal every time the ball gets into the box irrespective of how many defenders are there, while the other is a young centre half who is playing only his third, yes his third game in England and in the Championship, which according to the real experts is one of the hardest divisions to compete in! 

He is not yet unfallable admittedly but if he was he would have cost £40M surely and now be playing for Man U, Real Madrid or similar? If he can look after himself as well as Loovens has then he could play at a good level for another 10 years, so we should get a return on him if we sell him or ten years good service out of him if he stays with us. Seems like a no brainer to me, because unless we decide to develop his obvious talents by booing him every week, I reckon he will improve on what is already a fairly impressive start, so yes I think he is a very good signing, but only time will tell us whether or not he is the signing of the summer, the signing of the season or just a very good signing, but I think he is already an excellent signing

5 hours ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

For what it's worth, my interpretation of your original question, is not whether we have signed the best player, or best defender it is, "Have Wednesday pulled off the best signing of the season?"

This seems like a perfectly reasonable question, a leading question, but when for a reasonable amount of money, ie a sum not much higher than we paid for Almen Abdi, who many have down now as a crock that will never play again, we have got a 24 year old centre half who is good in the air, has plenty of confidence to pass the ball out of defence and times his tackles well after playing just a couple of games for us against two of the most aggressive attacking teams we will probably face this season.

Colin's table topping Cardiff at their place, where he moved right up the field with the ball to help set up our goal and against united, where he struggled to contain a very mobile player, but minimised his shooting angle to one that Westwood could easily cover! Of the two players, one is an established player at this level and above who now thinks that it is acceptable as a goalkeeper to come out of his goal every time the ball gets into the box irrespective of how many defenders are there, while the other is a young centre half who is playing only his third, yes his third game in England and in the Championship, which according to the real experts is one of the hardest divisions to compete in! 

He is not yet unfallable admittedly but if he was he would have cost £40M surely and now be playing for Man U, Real Madrid or similar? If he can look after himself as well as Loovens has then he could play at a good level for another 10 years, so we should get a return on him if we sell him or ten years good service out of him if he stays with us. Seems like a no brainer to me, because unless we decide to develop his obvious talents by booing him every week, I reckon he will improve on what is already a fairly impressive start, so yes I think he is a very good signing, but only time will tell us whether or not he is the signing of the summer, the signing of the season or just a very good signing, but I think he is already an excellent signing

Correct. It was a question. Have we? Not we have.

And then suggests the proof is in the pudding, and that we should find out over time.

I suspect the poster was in too much of a hurry to find reason to have a pop though. Didn't like the thread title FFS. What a numpty.

• Haha 1