Have Wednesday Pulled Off The Best Signing Of The Season?

Anyone notice how much happier/better Lees was at distributing too? Think he felt the pressure was off him as everyone on the pitch knew van Aken would be the guy to try and pass the ball out, so that meant he was given a bit more time on the ball so he too could distribute well. I don't think I remember a single classic "Tom Lees 30 yard sand wedge" pass from him all game, and he seemed much more content at passing the ball sideways to his CB partner than he has in the past. 

It just helped us move the ball a bit quicker to start off moves, which made a ruddy pleasant change

Not afraid to have a shot either (and he hit the target!). Thought he looked great, read the game very well with the one exception of getting caught inside for their goal. Made up for it by blocking a definite scoring situation from that low ball driven in to the near post by Brereton.

Threw himself at all sorts and got a boot in the way 90% of the time. Love that he's clearly confident in possession for his age, and on a debut too. Bodes well. Team looked more than happy to keep giving him the ball, another great sign.

One other thing I was impressed by, he showed no obvious signs of fatigue in-game, then was hands on knees, absolutely blowing out his arse when final whistle went. Obviously a hefty physical challenge for him but left everything on the pitch and didn't give in to looking tired when it mattered.

Top effort all round.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Anyone notice how much happier/better Lees was at distributing too? Think he felt the pressure was off him as everyone on the pitch knew van Aken would be the guy to try and pass the ball out, so that meant he was given a bit more time on the ball so he too could distribute well. I don't think I remember a single classic "Tom Lees 30 yard sand wedge" pass from him all game, and he seemed much more content at passing the ball sideways to his CB partner than he has in the past. 

It just helped us move the ball a bit quicker to start off moves, which made a ruddy pleasant change

I even think that Lees was constantly passing to Van Aiken to start with in the knowledge that his passing was top drawer and then later as you said Lees gained confidence and started to have a go at passing forward himself. Much more composure and fewer passes back to Westwood. 

The ball by Van Aiken to Wallace who moves it straight on to Hunt was class and could transform our previously crab-like passing around. Means Bannan and Lee no longer need to drop back to collect too which leaves them in more dangerous positions. Lee returning was massive but I think we will look back at what an astute purchase Van Aiken was.

1 hour ago, Mr. Tom said:

Not afraid to have a shot either (and he hit the target!). Thought he looked great, read the game very well with the one exception of getting caught inside for their goal. Made up for it by blocking a definite scoring situation from that low ball driven in to the near post by Brereton.

Threw himself at all sorts and got a boot in the way 90% of the time. Love that he's clearly confident in possession for his age, and on a debut too. Bodes well. Team looked more than happy to keep giving him the ball, another great sign.

One other thing I was impressed by, he showed no obvious signs of fatigue in-game, then was hands on knees, absolutely blowing out his arse when final whistle went. Obviously a hefty physical challenge for him but left everything on the pitch and didn't give in to looking tired when it mattered.

Top effort all round.

If that had gone in he would be a Wednesday legend already. lolGreat debut by the lad. Very assured performance and he looked like he was enjoying himself. Impressed. 

27 minutes ago, Reallondonowl said:

I even think that Lees was constantly passing to Van Aiken to start with in the knowledge that his passing was top drawer and then later as you said Lees gained confidence and started to have a go at passing forward himself. Much more composure and fewer passes back to Westwood. 

The ball by Van Aiken to Wallace who moves it straight on to Hunt was class and could transform our previously crab-like passing around. Means Bannan and Lee no longer need to drop back to collect too which leaves them in more dangerous positions. Lee returning was massive but I think we will look back at what an astute purchase Van Aiken was.

That was a moment of sublime football.

Having a centre back who can pick a pass better than many midfielders could make a massive difference to our team. Of those who started yesterday's match, only Jones and Lee had a better passing accuracy than van Aken, who weighed in with a pretty impressive 87.5%.

Very promising signs.

Guest Copthorneowl

The lad looks a proper player, great distribution  once he gets up to speed with the pace of players he's up against I'm sure he will be very important for this club and coveted by others.

Seems a great signing he was in all fairness just caught out by a piece of swift movement for their goal but no harm done in the end, however I think  that will be good education for him in the future.

It was such a pleasure not to squeeze the bottom of my cheeks every time our centre halfs (halves) (centre backs) (always get confused with the spelling), any how,

what a difference Van made in his first game, you can see the vision he has, and was looking for that cutting pass through out the game.

It's a big thumbs up from me, and like numerous people have already pointed out he allowed our midfield to be more offensive, and without going overboard thought

Kieran Lee had a good game, all in all great to see the old Wednesday back.

A great debut.

He'll blame himself for the goal as some on here are doing but I think he was a little unlucky not to get the ball and the opposites should take credit for the run and the pass. One thing is certain is that Loovens would have been nowhere near that and I am not having a pop at Looves.

On 09/09/2017 at 15:12, theowlsman said:

We'll find out later (possibly).

Van Aken is very highly rated. Was being scouted by Premiership teams.

He's been given a chance that he needs to take. Fingers crossed he gives it a good go and doesn't wilt like a flower in the scorching sun.

Hit or miss? Fingers crossed for a big hit.

The tide is turning in one respect though. We're now starting to look at younger players who may be stalwarts for seasons to come. I think there's been a recognition that it might take a while to get to the Premiership and consequently, we've started to adjust to the needs of a longer term plan to get to the top flight.

Patience required please.

That is all.

Had a really interesting chat with the now MD of a company called Essentra in Milton Keynes. 

His son (a semi pro in Hollend) played with Van Aken in youth teams and are childhood friends, he actually approached the subject with me when asking what the best way of getting to Sheffield was as he's coming to see him play with his son against the blunts on hospitality but needed to sort the travel. 

He he went on to say he's the most disciplined and focused person he has ever met, although needs coaching continually to do the hard tackles required of his role.

he said it was a great signing for us and we have a hell of a player on our hands for relatively low money. 

Apparently had offers from lots of clubs and was a surprise he had chosen Wednesday as although he knew of us was not the biggest name after his services, the biggest surprise to him was Van Aken not going to a London club as he has family in London. 

Very intersting hour hour in this mans company and nice to hear we've done some good business.