SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY 3 : 1 NOTTINGHAM FOREST

Not looking forward to this, expect us to strangle the life out of the game and muster our first shot on target in the 44th minute.

Blind optimism and hope says 2-0 to wednesday, but with no rationale to support.

Suspect the highlight of today will be the OMDT, top effort, well done.

I think you can play Jones, Bannon and Butterfield in the diamond variation of 4-4-2 at home, with the full backs bombing on - it's made for Reach and why we have seen him play so well at home recently. Expect Butters on the bench if Reach is wide left and it is a conventional 4-4-2. CC may do that if he wants Pudil at left back to help Van Aiken on debut, but I hope he doesn't. Hope the Dutch lad will play though.

But going back to your fine work my lord (which I really enjoyed reading). Forty years ago I had the misfortune to work in that there London for a couple of years. They really didn't believe me when I told them Robin Hood was from Sheffield, as a lad born and raised in S6 I well knew the truth. They wouldn't have it ( they also thought  my culinary habits were disgusting because I said that pancakes went well with gravy cuz they were somewhat deformed Yorkshire puds). Anyway living in Wadsley now, and spending good amounts of time in Loxley I'm glad that the truth is out. Little Matlock and its  Robin Hood pub between Loxley and Stannington stood testimony to the truth for many years. The Lord has now revealed the truth to a wider audience.

Can't wait for the match. Let's get moving up the table. Up the owls!!

Good stuff Snooters!

Obviously a bit exercised about dear old RH. Never have been myself as he is clearly one of our own and I'm surprise your action photo of him doesn't show him wearing his customary Wednesday scarf. Never liked that poncy hat that fools like to depict him wearing but I do think there should be an updated (1970's) version probably wearing loon pants, platforms and a cheesecloth shirt and staggering out of The Daizy at 2.30 a.m. and throwing up on High Street.:laugh:

Could certainly do with sticking it to these chaps today! Much better form against them recently than I grimly  and oh so dimly remember from my youth, but that just makes me more nervous. Please have it settled our way by HT, Wednesday!

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

I think any two of our three fit wingers are a much better bet than Bannan. We nearly always lose all shape when Carlos picks three CMs.

Bannan can ONLY play wide Left in a 442. 

He is not a CM he's attacking and if it was me I'd play Matias and Bannan behind Hooper tonight in a 343. 

Wont happen tho it will be 442 and probably a midfield of Wallace Jones Bannan Reach 

Quality omdt as is now the norm from ones country pile.

Top work with ye olde Englande speakee. I can also confirm Mr Hood is a Sheffield lad. Born in the Jessops hospital for women in the mid sixties in the next bed to yours truly. I remember my mother laughing at his green hosiery & cheap doublet.

Anyway, to football matters.

Totally unpredictable us against equally unpredictable them so 2-1 to us.

Time to start the big push Carlos.

UTO.

• Like 1

Lord Snooty,  I'd surely have passed that wretched O Level if you'd taught history instead of that useless 4-eyed smuck ...

Anyhow, another fine post and factually correct as ever

Might also have added these to your list of irrefutable evidence:

1) Robin Hood's Bay - south of Whitby, famous for being his favourite holiday destination

2) Robin Hood's Well - there on the outskirts of Donny, where a drunken mishap may have brought the legend to a premature end were it not for the vigilance of Robin's pet kangaroo

Edited by Ethel The Tree
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

What a week!

Lots of meltdowns......Winnall gone....FF injured....the Earth is flat...Carlos' Pork-Lobster

Boring International games...

Also our Birthday Week!!

150 years! A cake the size of Giant Haywstacks..a smashed Shez.

But now we're back into Football League action

Today Wednesday play Forest. ..

Two of the great names in English Football...

Two of the oldest names in English football. ..

An age old rivalry...

A rivalry beyond football ….

(Don’t worry mods. This won’t be about scabs)

No automatic alt text available.

Sheffield Wednesday – V – Nottingham Forest

OR

THE CASE OF THE STOLEN LEGEND

How many times have we visited the City ground and heard the strains of “Robin Hood, Robin Hood riding through the Glen”?

Understandable you may think, seems fair enough for a club which calls itself Forest and plays in a City -Nottingham- which has been linked for hundreds of years with the legend of Robin Hood.

Well no, actually.

Because they stole him.

Robin Hood was a Yorkshireman.

Now you may have heard this before.  How the SNotts claim him on one side and Yorkists claim him on the other. The row about whether he was from Nottinghamshire or Barnsdale in Yorkshire has raged for years.

The Cheeky feckers have even included him in their county flag!

“Yes, Yes,” the Snots say  “but everyone knows Robin Hood lived in Sherwood Forest!”

And well he might, well he might! (pay attention at the back Mr Bluesky, stop putting darts in that CC voodoo doll)

The earliest ballads did indeed link Robin Hood to identifiable real places and Robin Hood and his band of "merry men" are portrayed as living in Sherwood Forest in many early ballads and manuscripts.

The Lincoln Cathedral Manuscript, which is the first officially recorded Robin Hood song (dating from approximately 1420), makes an explicit reference to the outlaw that states that "Robyn hode in scherewode stod."  In a similar fashion, a monk of Witham Priory (1460) suggested that the archer had 'infested shirwode'.

Except….

That’s a bit of a convenient coverall phrase isn’t it?

They say Sherwood Forest as if that is only inclusive of the small area to the North of Nottingham. The small area that surrounds Centre Parcs and goes up to the visitors centre. They say Sherwood and leave the rest down to the subliminal programming that their fraudulent tourism chiefs have pushed over the years. Aided and abetted by Film and TV people -  I can almost hear the dreadful American Voice Over “ Can Rah-ben Huurrrrd save the Princess from the eveel Sheriff of Note-ing-Hahhhm!”

“Sherwood =Nottingham” Nothing but a word association trick!

In ancient times Sherwood, did cover most of Nottinghamshire north of the river Trent , as it did much of the neighbouring county of Derbyshire and swathes of south Yorkshire. It stretched well into Yorkshire as late as the 14th century.  

Different areas of the great forest had different names and the divinations of it covered half of Northern England. The part of it in Nottimgham is called Birklands and Bilhaugh

In our part of the world it was called Loxley Chase and extended from Sheffield as far south east as Nottinghamshire in the 12th century .

So was he from Yorkshire then?

The linguist Lister Matheson has observed that the language of the Gest of Robyn Hode (one of the earliest ballads) is –

“written in a definite northern dialect, most likely indications say that of Yorkshire. In consequence, it seems probable that the Robin Hood legend actually originates from the county of Yorkshire. Robin Hood's Yorkshire origins are universally accepted by professional historians.”

Where?

The original Robin Hood ballads, set events in the medieval forest of Barnsdale.

Barnsdale was a wooded area covering thirty square miles, ranging six miles from north to south, with the River Went at Wentbridge . 

Wentbridge is not directly named in A Gest of Robyn Hode, but it does depict a poor knight explaining to Robin Hood that he 'went at a bridge' where there was wrestling'.

A commemorative Blue Plaque has been placed on the bridge that crosses the River Went by Wakefield City Council!

A blue plaque. A blue plaque, Gordon Bennett!  On the evidence of as spurious a link as any I’ve read. “went at a bridge” . That bridge could have been anywhere.

. Why do we in Sheffield not push ourselves!

Whilst others will do anything to shine light on their towns and Cities why do we hide our rich cultural history?  Indeed why do we let others claim it for themselves!

Are we too embarrassed to show off perhaps?

I might ask that we put a blue plaque up on the Tram bridge on Park Square roundabout if such straws are being grasped at!

Image may contain: text

But we don’t have to. We do not have to make things up. Because…

Robin of Loxley

“Little Haggas Croft (pasture) wherein is ye founacion of a house or cottage where Robin Hood was borne.”

Little Haggas Croft was in the area of present-day Normandale House on Rodney Hill, Loxley, Sheffield.

Image may contain: one or more people and text

“The major Oak!”  say the folks of Nottingham smugly.

The major oak would have been a mere sapling 900 years ago, barely a sprout from the forest floor.

“But , erm, but , the Sherriff… ” the Nottingham folk desperately squeal, as they start to panic about the truth coming out now, “the Sherriff of Nottingham!”

Ahh yes. The Sherriff of Nottingham…

What the historian J. C. Holt suggested is Nottinghamshires best but probably only decent link to Robin Hood.  His interactions with the city's sheriff.

Simple subliminal word association....

Sherwood = Nottingham = Sherriff of Nottingham =Robin Hood.

But we shall deal with fact!

The first Sherriff of Nottingham and Derbyshire (as was the original title) was a chap called Sir William Peveril.

Now that name might sound familiar. And so it should...

Sir William Peveril, of Peveril Castle.

Peveril Castle at Castleton.  

You know, the big one on top of the hill. Castleton for facks sake!  

Castleton-2-1220-x-620_843387912.jpg&act

Castleton, down the road from Hathersage , yes, yes ….. That Hathersage, Little John of Hathersage. Well done! @Holmowl,stop arranging your smarties into a 4-4-2 and think . …Little John where have we heard that name before? Yes. The tales of facking Robin Hood!

Little John (Hathersage) and Robin Hood (Loxley)  fighting  against the evil Sherriff of Nottingham of Nottingham (Peveril, Castleton)

Sir Walter Scott made the connection.   Hardly likely, he thought, that a man born in Loxley and a man born in Hathersage would travel 50 miles to do their robbing and deer hunting when they were both born in the National Forest and on the Buxton trade route.  Peveril Castle being used as a hunting lodge and stop over house by the Sherriff.

Scott was the first to put our man Hood down in novel form when he wrote his classic medieval tale *“Ivanhoe”.

Scott wasn’t conned by the Nottingham Fraudsters and hucksters and neither should you all be!

“In that pleasant district of merry England which is watered by the river Don, there extended in ancient times a large forest, covering the greater part of the beautiful hills and valleys which lie between Sheffield….and there flourished in ancient times those bands of gallant outlaws, whose deeds have been rendered so popular in English song.”

Ivanhoe, Sir Walter Scott

So …

Fack Nottingham and fack their highly dubious claims to Robin Hood. And when you see them, make sure you tell them!

For he was a Yorkshireman, he was a Sheffielder and given his modern day postcode I daresay if they had been around at the time he’d have been Wednesday too!

COME ON THE WEDNESDAY!

Let your shots fly as true as our famous son’s arrows!

*Historical note. Ivanhoe – (Wilfred of Ivanhoe of one of the remaining Saxon noblemen at a time when the nobility in England was overwhelmingly Norman.  Not to be confused with Emile Ivanhoe Heskey, the former Leicester City centre forward.

The Brontes of Bunny, Notts  lol