The Home Sheffield Derbies And You.

With the next home derby looming what are you memories of previous ones, I wasn't really old enough for the BDM but have seen every one since:

1989 ZDS Cup - A total non-event of a competition only given spice with the first derby for 9yrs and what a game it was, a packed house saw a cracking game with the Owls leading 2-1 in the dying minutes until Deane popped up with a late leveller, onto extra time and Sheridan scored one of the best goals of his career to win it - brilliant game.

1992 Div 1 - Having lost at pig lane surely this would be our revenge against Bassets lumpen tryers, not to be 1-3 - awful.

1994 Div 1 - A nail in united relegation coffin with goals from Bright, Pearce and Watson.

2000 League Cup - Another gap between games and we draw them in the cup, to be fair they were the better side but a double from Efan Ekoku gave us an unlikely ET victory.

2008 Championship - Robson was the pigs manager and I don't think I've ever seen a more gutless display from them, I said to my mate within 5mins that we'd win it, we did 2-0.

2012 League 1 - The game that probably made us pip them to promotion an O'Grady goal gave us a 1-0 win in our charge to 2nd spot.

28 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

With the next home derby looming what are you memories of previous ones, I wasn't really old enough for the BDM but have seen every one since:

1989 ZDS Cup - A total non-event of a competition only given spice with the first derby for 9yrs and what a game it was, a packed house saw a cracking game with the Owls leading 2-1 in the dying minutes until Deane popped up with a late leveller, onto extra time and Sheridan scored one of the best goals of his career to win it - brilliant game.

1992 Div 1 - Having lost at pig lane surely this would be our revenge against Bassets lumpen tryers, not to be 1-3 - awful.

1994 Div 1 - A nail in united relegation coffin with goals from Bright, Pearce and Watson.

2000 League Cup - Another gap between games and we draw them in the cup, to be fair they were the better side but a double from Efan Ekoku gave us an unlikely ET victory.

2008 Championship - Robson was the pigs manager and I don't think I've ever seen a more gutless display from them, I said to my mate within 5mins that we'd win it, we did 2-0.

2012 League 1 - The game that probably made us pip them to promotion an O'Grady goal gave us a 1-0 win in our charge to 2nd spot.

2012 , the game they could afford to lose and weren't interested ( allegedly ) in as we could have the victory and they would have promotion . Greedy as we are we had both :tango:

• Haha 5

Some others not mentioned post 2000:

2000/01 league game Sibon fantastic turn and shot but sod all else from Wednesday lost 1-2

2005/06 Them lot went up that year and could have scored 4 second half, jammy free kick from Tounge last minute pen from us, never really in it 1-2

2008/09 - Watsons lovely lob over the knob head that is Paddy Kenny 1-0

2009/10 - A rare moment of actual football from Potter to make it one nil with a decent volley but a scabby free kick from them 1-1

Don't mean to put a curse on us, but can anyone tell me the last time the home team lost the first Sheffield Derby?

I can't remember one, going back to Boxing day, I'm guessing it may go back to the 60s, anyone remember any? Or do we need Dunsby to do his homework.

Obviously I hope however long the run is, we keep it going on Sunday 24th.

They may currently be above us, but we have the better players 1 on 1.

If we are as up for it as them we will win, my worry is we wont be.

Some great memories of Derby games at Hillsborough for me especially 2012 it doesn't matter mind the gap and all their other bravado  (aka bull5hit)

However my best memories of  Sheffield Derbies are not at Hillsborough, obviously Wembley then the win at the Lane then the comeback match, but a less known one Lc 1980 Curran scored again (not that goal) drew 1-1 on the night and progressed to the next round 3-1 on aggregate.

Memorable to me as it was my first Sheffield Derby, and me and my mate as young 10 year olds joining in from the south Stand the chants of "Harry Hallam's mucked it up again". Fail to remember if we knew what they were really singing or didn't want to sing it as we sat with his dad, but believe we really were too young and naive to know better. 

Remember his dad (rip) telling us to shut up, don't know if that's because we were sat with the Unitedites or the song we were joining in with, looking back probably both. Happy days.

59 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

2002? I think.

Owusu. First touch for Wednesday. 

Think old square head Kuqi got the other. 

We won 2-0 but.. for my money they battered us. Which made it all the sweeter. :laugh:

Pressman was amazing.  

Yep, remember that one, Jon Paul McGovern played for them that day, who went on to play a big part in our 04/05 promotion season. 

Edited by RichieB

Just flew over to a pig board to see what they're saying and on a slightly different matter found this:

Apparently all is not well up in scruffs Ville, a young lad who supports the dark side but used to be in the United youth set up has been speaking to someone on the inside and he says that Fernando and whinall had a huge fight which I think is common knowledge , whinall was a bully around camp and had been giving the young lad hirst and a a lot of the young lads lots of stick and being a nasty idiot , Fernando is desperate to leave and so is Rhodes , and apparently Carlos doesn't have the backing of any of the players and they all want him out .what a shame

https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?threads/trouble-at-swill.57655/

Always thought it may have not been FF's fault at all, who call tell, but it's always good to get another perspective; it usually ends up more accurate when you contrast different stories. Anyway, has to be Boxing Day 79 doesn't it?  As much for the size of the crowd and atmosphere. The result was just the icing on the cake. We came down Wadsworth Avenue and Herries Road that day and the place was just buzzing, even a couple of hours before kick-off

6 minutes ago, pgmetcalf said:

Just flew over to a pig board to see what they're saying and on a slightly different matter found this:

https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?threads/trouble-at-swill.57655/

Always thought it may have not been FF's fault at all, who call tell, but it's always good to get another perspective; it usually ends up more accurate when you contrast different stories. Anyway, has to be Boxing Day 79 doesn't it?  As much for the size of the crowd and atmosphere. The result was just the icing on the cake. We came down Wadsworth Avenue and Herries Road that day and the place was just buzzing, even a couple of hours before kick-off

To be fair with the quote you've posted it sounds like someone just focusing and making the most of the negatives.

The best overrall derbies for me were:

1993 FA Cup Semi

1989 ZDS Cup

1992 Pig Lane 1-1 with Hirst getting a fantastic equaliser in a cracking game

It took me 19 years from my first game to actually see a live home match against them - the Andy Pearce game.

Managed to miss a load of these games over the years

BDM - my Dad had stopped going when he got re-married the Sept before and the fear of violence meant all the parents nearby got together and put a block on it

Post that a combination of holidays, work meant I missed a load more 

Would happily live without these games. My concern is that all the effort goes into this and the games either side which equally have 3 points available are dis-regarded. Though its easy for me to say as I can escape away from Sheffield post game  

1 hour ago, owlZfan84 said:

Really enjoyed the beamback at S6 when we came back from 2-0 down.

RIOTS when Madine popped up with that late goal.

There'd have been a bigger riot if Jones's very late header had gone in.

They were throwing fireworks at us as it was.

When I was a kid, about six of us went to a night derby. We won I think. We were walking back towards Pitsmoor and a car full of united fans went past shouting abuse. Ten year old me thought it was a good idea to hurl abuse back. The car screeched to a halt and started reversing. My parents and uncles freaked out and started running. 

True story.