#SWFC Picture Thread : 1970's / 1980's

On 18/06/2018 at 22:51, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Some Wednesday greats there 

And a Gonk 

And Peter Grummitt ...

WTF:

Was Peter Grummitt really no good?  I always thought of him as a decent keeper, but I was too young to be a reliable judge.  He did play in the 1st division for Forest and us, but only went on to Brighton afterwards.  I remember he came 2nd once in Save of the Season on Sportsnight With Coleman - a reaction save from a close range header at home to QPR.  

It's good to see Johnny Sissons there - he was great in his short time with us.  I remember the roar from the cantilever as he shot down the left wing.  Peter Rodrigues was excellent too.  Jimmy Mullen was capable enough, and we all loved Prendo.  That just leaves Steve Downes; I don't like to criticise people on the internet, but he was never one of our greats!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Alfie Tupper said:

Was Peter Grummitt really no good? 

Yes ....

In my opinion 

But Torry Owl rated him I think so best not use my opinion as an accurate Barometer ?

All I remember is letting ball go between his legs many many times ..

Thankfully for him Match of the day didn't have an award for that 

He would have cleaned the board ...

One man's muck is another man's gold though Alfie ....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Yes ....

In my opinion 

But Torry Owl rated him I think so best not use my opinion as an accurate Barometer ?

Funnily enough I remember Grummitt flying across the goal a few times to tip the ball around the post. I may have dreamt it...

Didn't dream an away trip to Blackpool though c.1971, when Sissons belted the ball towards goal from about 30 yards and smacked defender Peter Suddaby right in the kisser, putting him on his back. Great moment.

• Haha 1

On ‎23‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 10:52, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Yes ....

In my opinion 

not just me ...he got voted player of the year in 71 ………I think he got some stick for letting one thru his legs at t'lane to let john tudor score the winner .

2 minutes ago, torryowl said:

not just me ...he got voted player of the year in 71 ………I think he got some stick for letting one thru his legs at t'lane to let john tudor score the winner .

And that's the very incident that's haunted me all my life ..

Only time I ever heard my dear late Dad use a profanity ......

• Like 2

I've got a book coming out next spring about the dark years of 1973-76. It's already listed on Amazon :) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Our-Lowest-Ebb-2020-Wednesdays/dp/1908847174/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=john+dyson+our+lowest+ebb&qid=1572216905&sr=8-1

To whet everyone's appetite for what will inevitably be a Harry Potter style best seller, here are a selection of images of the period. (The bus one's slightly earlier - I just liked it!)

Advertising.jpg

Apprentices 1975.jpg

Ashurst - I want winners.jpg

Cheer our Owls.jpg

county cup champs.jpeg

Craig transfer request.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, torryowl said:

That  article (I want winners)by len ashurst  is a good read that brings to light how bad things were back then 

I think that article is stunning by today's standards. He lays into the players by name (Fox and Shaw) and indirectly - accusing others of not giving 100% and others of stinking of booze. 

Incredible really. 

Not sure if the Star would run a 2019 equivalent?!