A walk around Wednesday's old grounds

12 hours ago, KivoOwl said:

Jason Dickinson's pretty much cornered the market with Wednesday books so I've stepped back on that front the last couple of years.

Not many subjects that Jason hasn't covered.

I'm currently writing the history of Kiveton Park FC and another one to do with Sheffield football.

You could publish it as a guide book. 

A walk through the history of SWFC. 

On 05/09/2017 at 11:19, KivoOwl said:

Thought I'd do something to commemorate the 150th anniversary yesterday - something unique that I can hark back to when my legs have gone.

I decided to go on a walk of all of Wednesday's old grounds, but started off at the Crucible Theatre.

The Crucible was opened in 1971 on the site of the old Adelphi Hotel, which was where members of the Wednesday Cricket Club met on 4th September 1867 to formally inaugurate the club's new football section.

59ad8ab96156c_1d-Adelphion1920smap.jpg.4e31d363d9ced62df36a1721f86368b3.jpg59ad8ab1d4eb7_1e-Crucibletoday.jpg.670c7b35eba1999e7f60c3e4d6b2f520.jpg

The Adelphi Hotel prior to demolition

59ad8ab50a27f_1b-AdelphiHotelpriortodemolition.jpg.07b959d610c43dc67414677b782e4038.jpg

The Crucible Theatre from roughly the same spot a few years later.

59ad8ab69a8c7_1c-Crucible.jpg.d76c1f93c5396e8485216ee52361b87a.jpg

The Crucible Theatre on 4th September 2017

DI3wW1UW0AE_oga.thumb.jpg.b030f397cdec08229395b04bd1949dff.jpg

Inside the Crucible is a plaque marking the importance of the Adelphi in Sheffield's sporting history. The landlord of the hotel at the time all three meetings were held was Harry Sampson - a famous old cricketer who had appeared for the Wednesday CC on many occasions. Yorkshire CC was formed at the Adelphi in 1863, and in 1854 six cricket clubs met to form a new all-encompassing club - Sheffield United Cricket Club - to enable them to construct a new ground on Bramall Lane.

The plaque inside the Crucible

59ad8d9e5c443_IMG_1539-Copy.JPG.f61e1c55ea076bcf65ae7a013b883310.JPG

Awesome post KivoOwl.

Thank you so much for posting this and presenting it all so professionally, as others have already said, i reckon there could be a very good book or at least a chapter of a book here? Maybe if you made it a book of football grounds in Sheffield, or even, dare i say it, a blog or website?

Keep up the good work.

Didn't we almost move to a site in Carbrook back in 1899 until someone else bettered our offer? I seem to recall reading that we were also looking at sites at Hillfoot and Ecclesall Road (possibly the tennis club at Hunters Bar?) and had an option for a temporary home at Tinsley.

Perhaps as his next task (if he's looking for something to do!) Kivo could find out where these sites were?

2 hours ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

Didn't we almost move to a site in Carbrook back in 1899 until someone else bettered our offer? I seem to recall reading that we were also looking at sites at Hillfoot and Ecclesall Road (possibly the tennis club at Hunters Bar?) and had an option for a temporary home at Tinsley.

Perhaps as his next task (if he's looking for something to do!) Kivo could find out where these sites were?

Yes we discussed the possibility of playing on a ground that was the home of Carbrook Cricket Club, I don't know the detail of where the ground was situated though !