A walk around Wednesday's old grounds

1 hour ago, Mickjj said:

Well done Kivo, have you ever thought of publishing a book?

Jason Dickinson's pretty much cornered the market with Wednesday books so I've stepped back on that front the last couple of years.

Not many subjects that Jason hasn't covered.

I'm currently writing the history of Kiveton Park FC and another one to do with Sheffield football.

44 minutes ago, Mickjj said:

Looking a bit well worn, could do with a new one. 

Why would we want a shiny new one? It is old and the patina adds to the historical importance. 

Bright and shiny is not always best.

5 minutes ago, Bob said:

Why would we want a shiny new one? It is old and the patina adds to the historical importance. 

Bright and shiny is not always best.

I get your point, but it's hard to read and a new one would draw the eye of passers by. 

A worthwhile exercise Kivo, but did we ever play in the Hunters Bar/Endcliffe area in the early days. On my jols at the moment so don't have access to my resources. 

Also I think we played a single game at some time opposite where the Blue Ball is at Wharncliffe side ?

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl
ommision

21 hours ago, KivoOwl said:

Hunter's Bar

Although not used quite as scarcely as the Queens Ground, Hunter's Bar - Wednesday's designated home ground between 1882 and 1885 - was used only fleetingly by the first team.

The venue was used more often by Wednesday's reserve team while the first team played at Bramall Lane.

When Wednesday left for Olive Grove in 1887, a works team called Lockwood Brothers took the ground over, and promptly reached the last 16 of the FA Cup.

The site is now occupied by the Hallamshire Tennis, Squash and Racket Club.

DI4AS7FXcAAMKae.thumb.jpg.bb8e50023abb8b2e9aa24b4c11646bbc.jpgIMG_1547.thumb.JPG.b81ff6a3f954e2024fbfcd0a8789a2a3.JPG

2 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

A worthwhile exercise Kivo, but did we ever play in the Hunters Bar/Endcliffe area in the early days. On my jols at the moment so don't have access to my resources. 

yes we did