YOU and 150 Years of Sheffield Wednesday Football Club

The best game ....

SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY 5 MANCHESTER UNITED 4

Saturday 31 August 1968

The visit to Hillsborough of reigning European champions Manchester United fired the imagination of Wednesday fans, with a bumper crowd of 52,931 welcoming a star-studded team that included eight of the side that had beat Benfica at Wembley to become the first English team to win the European Cup. Such household names as Bobby Charlton, Denis Law and George Best were on show for the Red Devils, but after just two minutes they were behind when Tony Dunne failed to cut out David Ford’s forward pass and Jack Whitham hit a great shot from outside the area that flashed passed Alex Stepney. Soon after, Dunne was forced to leave the field injured, substitute Francis Burns taking his place, and after 11 minutes of play the scores were level – Best, European Player of the Year, firing home after a great individual run. Three minutes later the visitors went ahead as Wednesday ‘keeper Peter Springett could only push out a Best shot for Law to crash the loose ball into the net.

The play continued to switch from end to end and it was 2-2 when John Ritchie headed home from David Ford’s centre. The fans must have been breathless by now and the scoring did not abate, a United free-kick being headed on by Brian Kidd for Law to hit in a first-time shot off the cross bar. Next, Alex Stepney saved brilliantly from Ford to keep United in front, and the Owls then struck the woodwork again, Ford being the unlucky man. With eight minutes left of the first half, the match seemed to have swung convincingly in the visitors direction, as Law knocked on a low centre from Kidd to allow Bobby Charlton to fire home one of his trademark shots from outside of the penalty area. Wednesday were not finished though, and an incredible 45 minutes ended 4-3 to United as Whitham netted again for the Owls, driving home from John Fantham’s centre. It took Wednesday just two minutes of the second half to draw level, but they needed help from visiting player Stiles as he headed into his own net when trying to clear the ball from Ford’s free-kick. The club’s electric scoreboard credited Whitham, who was close to Stiles, as the scorer, but it was clearly all the work of England World Cup winner Stiles! After 56 minutes Wednesday fans went wild as Don Megson’s 30-yard shot crashed into the net to put the Owls ahead. The celebrations were cut short by an offside flag, however. Both sides were pushing for a winner and Springett had to dive full length to save Charlton’s shot. With 15 minutes remaining, this amazing game was decided, when Stepney could not hold onto Ford’s low centre and Whitham was on hand to complete his hat-trick and give the Owls a 5-4 win. Wednesday had to hang on as United pressed for an equaliser – at times, everyone apart from Stepney was in the Wednesday half – but the Owls almost grabbed a sixth with five minutes remaining when Ritchie spurned a simple chance, firing high into the Kop. With three minutes left Nobby Stiles’ shot beat Springett, but Vic Mobley got back to turn the goal-bound shot from off the line for a corner. It was the last action in arguably the greatest game ever played at Hillsborough.

Sheffield Wednesday: R.D Springett, G. Young, D.H. Megson, (captain), S. Ellis, V.J. Mobley, P. Eustace, J. Whitham, J. McCalliog, J.H Ritchie, D. Ford, J. Fantham. Unused Sub: A Warboys.

Manchester United: A.C. Stepney, S.A Brennan, A.P. Dunne, (F. Burns 3 mins), J. Fitzpatrick, D. Sadler, N.P. Stiles, W. Morgan, B. Kidd, R. Charlton, D. Law, G. Best.

Referee: W.S. Castle (Sedgley, Worcs).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oliver Cromwell said:

First match I can actually remember was a 2-2 draw against Wolves December 18th 1956. Seem to think Wolves scored two late goals.

That was a week before I was born!

I'd have to wait another 11 years - December 16th 1967 - before I'd find my way to Hillsborough for the very first time

... beat West Ham  4-1  goals from Ritchie 2, Fantham & Whitham   :biggrin:

My first game

Feb. 21st 1961. Wednesday 1-0 Forest. Crowd 35,199. I was 8 and my dad took me after saving up for a few weeks so that we could sit in the South. When we scored I jumped in the air wildly waving my arms shouting "goal!!!!!" Much to the amazement of the posh people sat around us. Now at 65 I have a ST in the South and still do the same . Same reaction haha.  We finished 2nd. to the double winning Spurs side. Thought it would always be like that???

Best match was the 5-4 against Man Utd. as already mentioned. Lived in Castleton in the Peak. Village was pretty much 50/50 Wednesday/Man Utd.  Couldn't wait to get home.

Best atmosphere - Cardiff 2005, Brighton Play off Semi. Wycombe 2012, Boxing Day Massacre and Blackburn away in April 1980 just 15 mins. drive from where I now live. Night match. So many Wednesdayites. What a racket. Promoted 2 games later.

Saddest - losing in 1966 Cup Final. Who the hell was Trebilcock ??? Still not got over it.

• Like 1

High point for me - invention of "The Wednesday" from 1867 (before my time) .... low point for me - us inventing blavdes 22 years later... (dropped a big gonad at the time but even so,  they will be forever in our spermstream)! 

Older, Bigger, Better.. 

Edited by owls-swfc

Love threads like this. 

Like many others, it wasn't a choice for me to choose Wednesday. I was born into Wednesday. All I can remember growing up was Wednesday this, Wednesday that, I remember, as 7 year old, going to bed late on that fateful Wednesday evening (I think) after Chris Woods had let it slip through his hands. Cry? My mother says you've never seen anything like it. Even at school the next day, I was inconsolable by all accounts. 

Im 31. Born 5/3/86. My first match, according my old man, was against Watford at home. David James was playing in net. I'm going to guess it around 1989. Obviously I have no recollection of this so couldn't tell you the score or who was playing. My first memory of a SWFC match was against Notts Forest in 1991/2 season (aided somewhat by the Its a kind of Magic video'. Trevor Francis turned the ball home from a corner and I was sat on the white wall that was barrier from kop to the pitch right near the corner flag. I was on the video. 

Me and Dad had season tickets in the same seat ()my Dad, Gordon still does) every year so you get know that people around you. Nigel, his Dad and young Ben sat behind us and I had my seat next to a lovely bloke called Alan. He came with his Dad an he used to give me and Ben a Mars Bar or a Snickers every week. Incidentally, I'd not seen Alan for years and then I ended up selling his dads house in Swinton and I was chatting him on the way home from Wembley the other year on the train. But Alan knew everyone. One week I was dead excited because Jarvis Cocker was at a match he came up to chat to Alan at half time. It was mid 90's so pulp were quite big. I wasn't that much of a fan of them but I knew who he was because Id there song on a Now tape that I'd bought. 

In terms of matches. I didn't go to Wembley in 91. Was too young. I went to Coca Cola in 93 and apparently cried all the way home because Dad wouldn't me stay to see Arsenal pick up the cup... Not sure why. Hartlepool 05 ranks up there but my best moment supporting Wednesday has to be Brighton away for play off 2nd leg. Not so much the game as I can't remember most of it due to being rather intoxicated. But the day leading up to the match and the celebrations will stay with me forever. I'd gone with my Dad, Brother and his Mrs so there was a real family feel to it and it was amazing experiencing it with them. 

Anyway, I'm going to stop reminiscing now as I'm probably boring you all to death. 

Happy 150th Birthday SWFC.

I have been an active supporter for 57 of those years and seen many ups and downs.

First game at Hillsborough 1960 v WBA

The horror of the bribe scandal, attended all games away in FA Cup 1966 run, including the lost final. Went to all 1966 World Cup matches allocated to Hillsborough. Saw Tommy Craig's debut v Spurs (first game for the wife). Witnessed relegation seasons leading to us playing in old 3rd division, where I saw Wednesday play in front of just 7000 against Wrexham and we lost. The lowest point of Wednesday's playing history IMO.

Witnessed the rise under Jack Charlton and Howard Wilkinson. Further relegation seasons and game v Harrtlepool at Wembley. Went to the 91 Final v Man Utd. Went to Wembley to see Wednesday v United semi and both Arsenal finals and replay. Went to the play off final v Hull City.

I seen great players playing for Wednesday. No particular order and I may have missed some worthy of inclusion

Ron Springett, Peter Swan, Don Megson, Peter Eustace, John Fantham, Alan Finney, Wilf Smith, Gerry Young, Jim McCalliog David Ford,Colin Dobson,John Ritchie, Peter Grummit, Tommy Craig, Roland Neilson,Nigel Pearson,Terry Curran, Dalien Atkinson, Carboni and Di Canio,Nigel Worthington, Mel Sterland,John Sheridan,David Hirst, Mark Bright, Willie Henderson, Carlton Palmer, Lee Chapman and of course  Chris Waddle.

I hope I am now witnessing the great reawakening under Mr Chansri.

Worst overall time has to be the bribe scandal. Best periods were the Arsenal and Sheff Utd games at Wembley and the 1960/61 season coming second to Spurs double winning side

9 hours ago, Internationowl said:

Ah ok, too quick for me perhaps.. I'm a bit busy watching over the North Korea situation and a few clean ups in the USA and India, plus a few other things at the moment. So there aren't really many breaks.

I'm essentially Captain Planet.

Glad someones looking over us, keep it up mate. Take it you don't like cake? Or do you like it but can't eat it for health reasons?

Against Burnley in 78-79 I think we won 1-0? Was literally a nipper stood with my Dad on the Kop, amazed at the noise albeit a small crowd. I was hooked and have followed us ever since used to travel back from Germany most weekends to watch us and still drive 150 mile round trip to most home games. Always have been in my blood always will be in my blood WTID.

First game for me was in 1984 v Brighton . A 2-1 win, with my then Wednesday hero, Gary bannister scoring 1 of the goals. All I could remember that night was the sound of the crowd and the chant "we love love you Wednesday " echoing in my ears. The following week came my first away trip, the short journey to Barnsley. Sat in the main stand with my uncle as Mel 'Zico' sterland hammered home his customary ferocious thunderbolt penalty to give us a 1-0 win and ultimately onto the return the top division. Season tickets in the north and south stands before progressing onto the back of the kop in my late teen years. The promotion season of 1990/1991 turning up to every game in anticipation of another victory in our push to return once again to the top division , watching a young David Hirst terrorise the opposition defenders. The night of the semi final second leg, against Chelsea , with Danny  wilsons screamer into the top corner sealing a day out at Wembley, walking all the way back up herries  road, with the rain pouring down , without a care in the world , singing "we're going to Wembley"...a day not to forget with the coach journey down, the sea of blue and white along Wembley way, being sat right behind johnny sheridans shot as it hit the back of the net, Pearson lifting the trophy and even the coach breaking down on the way back couldn't spoil the day... the season after, qualifying for Europe ... I could go on about the next 25 years but there are way too many ups and downs, many many more magical moments along with so many disappointing times but onto the present day and now it's with my 12 and 6 year old sons that I go to watch our team, our Wednesday and they have their own 'heroes' and that tingle of excitement on match days . The wide eyed look as they enter the ground and the passion in their voices as they belt out 'hi ho Sheffield Wednesday ' before the kick off.. every kick every goal means so much.. this is their team , this is their Wednesday and hopefully they will see us back with the big time very soon

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ramone said:

Love threads like this. 

Like many others, it wasn't a choice for me to choose Wednesday. I was born into Wednesday. All I can remember growing up was Wednesday this, Wednesday that, I remember, as 7 year old, going to bed late on that fateful Wednesday evening (I think) after Chris Woods had let it slip through his hands. Cry? My mother says you've never seen anything like it. Even at school the next day, I was inconsolable by all accounts. 

Im 31. Born 5/3/86. My first match, according my old man, was against Watford at home. David James was playing in net. I'm going to guess it around 1989. Obviously I have no recollection of this so couldn't tell you the score or who was playing. My first memory of a SWFC match was against Notts Forest in 1991/2 season (aided somewhat by the Its a kind of Magic video'. Trevor Francis turned the ball home from a corner and I was sat on the white wall that was barrier from kop to the pitch right near the corner flag. I was on the video. 

Me and Dad had season tickets in the same seat ()my Dad, Gordon still does) every year so you get know that people around you. Nigel, his Dad and young Ben sat behind us and I had my seat next to a lovely bloke called Alan. He came with his Dad an he used to give me and Ben a Mars Bar or a Snickers every week. Incidentally, I'd not seen Alan for years and then I ended up selling his dads house in Swinton and I was chatting him on the way home from Wembley the other year on the train. But Alan knew everyone. One week I was dead excited because Jarvis Cocker was at a match he came up to chat to Alan at half time. It was mid 90's so pulp were quite big. I wasn't that much of a fan of them but I knew who he was because Id there song on a Now tape that I'd bought. 

In terms of matches. I didn't go to Wembley in 91. Was too young. I went to Coca Cola in 93 and apparently cried all the way home because Dad wouldn't me stay to see Arsenal pick up the cup... Not sure why. Hartlepool 05 ranks up there but my best moment supporting Wednesday has to be Brighton away for play off 2nd leg. Not so much the game as I can't remember most of it due to being rather intoxicated. But the day leading up to the match and the celebrations will stay with me forever. I'd gone with my Dad, Brother and his Mrs so there was a real family feel to it and it was amazing experiencing it with them. 

Anyway, I'm going to stop reminiscing now as I'm probably boring you all to death. 

Good post.. pendant// the fa cup final replay was a Thursday night though... I was there, absolutely shell shocked walking out, funnily enough although there have been plenty of lows since!! (And a couple of highs - agree with you about Brighton away - them celebrations at the end- you had to be there) Huddersfield second leg is the closest I've come to that feeling

Edited by Mr Meadows

5 hours ago, ramone said:

Love threads like this. 

Good post.. pendant// the fa cup final replay was a Thursday night though... i was there, which is the worst I've ever felt leaving a ground, absolutely shell shocked,, funnily enough although there have been plenty of lows since!! (And a couple of highs - agree with you about Brighton away - them celebrations at the end- you had to be there) Huddersfield second leg is the closest I've come to that feeling

first - palace in 83 (the season before promotion) remember sitting in the north and us winning ( think bannister scored - he always scored)

best - rumbelows cup final ( I was 14 - couldn't believe we'd got Wembley never mind won a cup)

best atmosphere - Chelsea league semi 2nd leg - hillsborough under the lights knowing we were going to Wembley

Been going thick end of 35 years now. Can't remember first game, and can never work out how others can. I was too young. First abiding memory is promotion under Jack Charlton, and crowds coming onto the pitch and climbing up into the South to get to the Directors Box. Scared me shittless. Used to go with my Grandad and mother. Mum still goes now, and has hardly missed a home match for fifty years. Thinks FF is a div, and I agree. 

Love the place. Love the smell. Feels like home. Take my lad now, and he loves it. Love the cold night matches, winning late on. Nothing better than a last minute winner. Makes it all worthwhile. Used to go to all the reserve games and rush back for the pub quiz. Got stopped for speeding once in Wharcliffe Side and the copper let us off as we told him Hirst had come through his latest injury comeback unscathed. 

In terms of memories, christ, where do I start. Burnley at home in the quarters, and to this day I don't think I've heard Hillsborough louder. 5-0. Semi at Highbury against Brighton. Jimmy Cases shot nearly broke the net. Red hot day, Grandad has his wallet nicked outside. We were never in it to be fair. 

Promotion under Wilko, couple of games that stick out. Newcastle at home, 4-2, they brought millions, Man City away, 3-1?, we we took millions. Huddersfield away late on in the season, Worthington from memory. Cardiff away to seal promotion, scrapping on the Bob Bank. Unbelievable. Yellow shadow stripe kit, that is still the best ever. WTF did I throw them all away?

Milk Cup with 50,000 against the scousers. 22,000 nowadays and they put metal barriers and up shut Leppings Lane. They were a good side. Dalglish with his fat backside reffing the game, and Molby not moving for 80 minutes, until they subbed him. Grobbelaer always prone to a mistake.  They used to go to play the Romanian Army side in their back yard with a bent ref and 200,000 gypsies after them, and still get a result. Top team. 

First season back, Forest at home, Liverpool away. Up and at em. Raggyarse rovers, but it worked. Board unwilling to spend, and we  chased Darren Wood for 10 years. Finally signed him, and he got injured. Typical Wednesday, chapter 7782. Used to slow down going past a newsagent to try and see headline, Wednesday sign... .  It usually a failed bid for Derek Mountfield or Adrian Heath. 

FACup run, when Shutt couldn't stop scoring. Everything he touched went in. Always think of those games when I walk past the travel agents in Meadowhall, and he's arranging a coach tour in Torquay for some bint from Brinsworth. Villa Park for the semi. Graeme sodding Sharp, always scored against us. That Everton side were our nemesis, but they are pound for pound as good a team as I've seen at Hillsborough. Reid and Bracewell in the middle, Sheedy and Steven wide, 2 lumps up front, great keeper in Southall. We think we got hard done to with Heysel, but they were the real losers. They would have won the European Cup. 

Hirst at Newcastle, Easter Monday, won 3-1. Big game. Mirandinha played. Not seen him since.  Mirandinha that is. 

Decided to do every game in a season. Saved up, ICO. Trust me to pick the one where we went down. Remember winning 4-1 at Coventry, and late on at Charlton. 

I'll do chapter 2 tomorrow.