YOU and 150 Years of Sheffield Wednesday Football Club

1291652.jpg

Sheffield Wednesday FC is 150 years old today. That's a mere drop in the ocean when you think about it. Some of us will have grandfathers who's dads went to the first games!

With the club hitting 150th birthday today tell us how long you've supported the Owls. What was your first game? What other memorable times have you had and what have been your highlights and lowlights?

Is the 1991 Cup Final the absolute pinnacle of our achievements?

Owlstalk Shop

1991 League Cup final is most special moment with Promotion 1980 also very special for me, it was first time I had ever seen us do anything having first stared going in 69-70 relegation season.

Image may contain: 6 people, people smiling, crowd

This was another special moment, promotion back to 1st division.

• Like 1

I'm afraid I cannot recall who we played or who played,well, not everybody,or even the exact date. What I do remember clearly was that it was SEVENTY years ago. I'm NOT claiming to be the oldest fan, but certainly one of the staunchest. And the nearest I've ever lived to Hillsborough was Hoyland. I've since moved to Hoyland Common, then Clowne  in Derbyshire, and finally to Buxton in the Peak District. During a year out at Newcastle, I had a competition with my Landlord as to who arrived home first on a Monday in order to read the Green 'Un.

This was when it was a good sports paper.

Among my oldest memories are such names as Westlake, Swift, Cockroft, Turton, and Whitcomb 

• Like 1

Posted before but New Years Eve 66 Chelsea home 6-1 victory. Many magic memories over the years.Some less talked about than others.

Winning 5-1 away at Notts County during the dark years of the early/mid 70's. Beating Reading away 1-0 in 76, first away win for 18 months

Ken Knighton kicking the dressing room door off its hinges after being sent off at Orient. Plymouth away on a very cold snowy night in 1979 with 200 or so other hardy souls, less than a week after we'd taken 20k to Leicester for the final Arsenal replay.Tony Coleman "borrowing" Sam Ellis car after he missed the team bus to Derby also Uniteds Alan Woodward saluting the Shoreham at his testimonial before he realised it was full of Wednesdayites and stopped dead in his tracks with a look of total shock on his boat race.

• Like 1

Just now, Costello 77 said:

Username. Topical..... nevermind.

Ah ok, too quick for me perhaps.. I'm a bit busy watching over the North Korea situation and a few clean ups in the USA and India, plus a few other things at the moment. So there aren't really many breaks.

I'm essentially Captain Planet.

• Haha 1

My favourite memory has to be beating Manchester United at Wembley but the memory of the first game I went to, watching Wednesday play Chesterfield on an Easter Saturday in Division Three and beating them 4-0 will live with me forever. Walking along the concourse under the North Stand getting a glimpse of the ground through the gangways and then that moment when you experience Hillsborough in her full glory. A sight to behold and never forgotten.

Thanks to all my family and mates who I have enjoyed many a great game and performance with along with a few disappointments. Here is to many more years. Happy Birthday Sheffield Wednesday.

Supported Wednesday all my life, currently sat at 36 years. I have vague memories from school by where my mates were choosing which football team they were going to support - Liverpool, Man Utd, Wednesday, or United. I remember thinking it was strange as I just supported Wednesday - I never made that decision, there wasn't a choice to be made; my dad took me to Hillsborough, got me the new kit every summer, Wednesday were my team.

My first game 4th April 1981 (I was 5 weeks old, remember it well! :biggrin:) as Wednesday beat Luton Town 3-1 at Hillsborough. I can't remember the exact details, but I was supposedly named after Wednesday's first goalscorer (after my birth date or at the Luton game), who was Kevin Taylor. I'm led to believe that Ante Miročević hit the woodwork before Taylor scored!

Highlight is the League Cup Final win without doubt!

Memories (without even having to think);

• My first away game - Ipswich 0 The Owls 2. Remember Hirst scoring, might have got two?
  • Hirst scoring 4 vs Hull City.
  • Harkes strike vs Derby.
  • Jemson scoring a brace against Man Utd.
  • Getting thrashed by Forest 0-3 - Stuart Pearce free-kick - to relegate us.
  • Big Ron saying he'll be staying, then leaving a day or so later for Villa.
  • The Chelsea League Cup semi-finals.
  • League Cup Final win.
  • That Hirst goal vs Villa in front of the Kop.
  • Cambridge giving us a good beating in the FA Cup - 4-0, Dublin hat-trick?
  • Going top of the Premier League - 4 wins in a row and Richie Humphries!
  • Numerous relegations.
  • Play-off Final win in Cardiff.
  • Play-off Final defeat at Wembley.
  • Double over the Blades.
  • Steel City FA Cup semi-final and that Waddle free-kick.
  • Chris Woods flapping in the last minute and seeing us lose both cup finals in the same season.
  • Winning 7-2 away at Burnley after we'd just been relegated.
  • Antonio vs Carlisle.
  • Those last 10 minutes at Bramall Lane in the 2-2 in 2012.
  • Bolder's brace at Bramall Lane and the heartbreak of Beattie's stunning free kick to equalise late on.
  • Klinsmann's Spurs debut and goal celebration at Hillsborough.
  • Spora Luxembourg and Kaiserslautern European nights at Hillsborough.
  • Standing ovation for Dublin's retirement.
  • Hirst taking over from Pressman in goal and keeping a clean sheet vs Man City.
  • Waddle destroying West Ham United.
  • Failing to beat 9-man Yeovil Town.
  • Potter's hat-trick of corners.
  • 1-3 up at Highbury only to see us pegged back to 3-3 and any lifeline of staying up going.
  • Palmer hat-trick vs QPR.
  • Pressman sent off within a minute at Wolves.
  • Pressman's penalty in the cup vs Wolves.
  • Crossley making it 3-3 vs Southampton.
  • Sheffield Wednesday 6 Leeds United 0.
  • Newcastle United 8 Sheffield Wednesday 0.
  • Watson's dive for a penalty vs Leeds.
  • Coughlan going off with a head injury only to come back on semi-conscious, boot the ball into row Z of the South Stand, and go back off again!
  • Hamshaw's goal vs Watford in the League Cup.
  • Briscoe's goal vs Arsenal (Di Canio and that shove).
  • Small's goal vs Charlton.
  • Hirst's strike at Old Trafford that got lodged in the stanchion.
  • The kit debacle against Newcastle.
  • Wearing our away kit at home - vs Notts County I think.
  • Offering Ritchie Barker (Assistant Manager) one of my Fisherman's Friends during the game as he was coughing his balls up!

I'll leave it there as I could genuinely go on all week!

Hope I'm still around to see the 200th anniversary celebrations!! lol

Edited by oh_weds_we_love_you
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Supported Wednesday all my life, currently sat at 36 years. I have vague memories from school by where my mates were choosing which football team they were going to support - Liverpool, Man Utd, Wednesday, or United. I remember thinking it was strange as I just supported Wednesday - I never made that decision, there wasn't a choice to be made; my dad took me to Hillsborough, got me the new kit every summer, Wednesday were my team.

My first game 4th April 1981 (I was 5 weeks old, remember it well! :biggrin:) as Wednesday beat Luton Town 3-1 at Hillsborough. I can't remember the exact details, but I was supposedly named after Wednesday's first goalscorer (after my birth date or at the Luton game), who was Kevin Taylor. I'm led to believe that Ante Miročević hit the woodwork before Taylor scored!

Highlight is the League Cup Final win without doubt!

Memories (without even having to think);

• My first away game - Ipswich 0 The Owls 2. Remember Hirst scoring, might have got two?
  • Hirst scoring 4 vs Hull City.
  • Harkes strike vs Derby.
  • Jemson scoring a brace against Man Utd.
  • Getting thrashed by Forest 0-3 - Stuart Pearce free-kick - to relegate us.
  • Big Ron saying he'll be staying, then leaving a day or so later for Villa.
  • The Chelsea League Cup semi-finals.
  • League Cup Final win.
  • That Hirst goal vs Villa in front of the Kop.
  • Cambridge giving us a good beating in the FA Cup - 4-0, Dublin hat-trick?
  • Going top of the Premier League - 4 wins in a row and Richie Humphries!
  • Numerous relegations.
  • Play-off Final win in Cardiff.
  • Play-off Final defeat at Wembley.
  • Double over the Blades.
  • Steel City FA Cup semi-final and that Waddle free-kick.
  • Chris Woods flapping in the last minute and seeing us lose both cup finals in the same season.
  • Winning 7-2 away at Burnley after we'd just been relegated.
  • Antonio vs Carlisle.
  • Those last 10 minutes at Bramall Lane in the 2-2 in 2012.
  • Bolder's brace at Bramall Lane and the heartbreak of Beattie's stunning free kick to equalise late on.
  • Klinsmann's Spurs debut and goal celebration at Hillsborough.
  • Spora Luxembourg and Kaiserslautern European nights at Hillsborough.
  • Standing ovation for Dublin's retirement.
  • Hirst taking over from Pressman in goal and keeping a clean sheet vs Man City.
  • Waddle destroying West Ham United.
  • Failing to beat 9-man Yeovil Town.
  • Potter's hat-trick of corners.
  • 1-3 up at Highbury only to see us pegged back to 3-3 and any lifeline of staying up going.
  • Palmer hat-trick vs QPR.
  • Pressman sent off within a minute at Wolves.
  • Pressman's penalty in the cup vs Wolves.
  • Crossley making it 3-3 vs Southampton.
  • Sheffield Wednesday 6 Leeds United 0.
  • Newcastle United 8 Sheffield Wednesday 0.
  • Watson's dive for a penalty vs Leeds.
  • Coughlan going off with a head injury only to come back on semi-conscious, boot the ball into row Z of the South Stand, and go back off again!
  • Hamshaw's goal vs Watford in the League Cup.
  • Briscoe's goal vs Arsenal (Di Canio and that shove).
  • Small's goal vs Charlton.
  • Hirst's strike at Old Trafford that got lodged in the stanchion.
  • The kit debacle against Newcastle.
  • Wearing our away kit at home - vs Notts County I think.
  • Offering Ritchie Barker (Assistant Manager) one of my Fisherman's Friends during the game as he was coughing his balls up!

I'll leave it there as I could genuinely go on all week!

Hope I'm still around to see the 200th anniversary celebrations!! lol

Brilliant post thank you :)

Owlstalk Shop

First Game

My old man got me my first season ticket in the 1992/93 season so my first game would have been Forest. I can't remember that one but I do remember my first away game that same season; Derby Country at the old Baseball Ground in the FA Cup and it finished 3-3. 

First Memory

FA Cup Final replay against Arsenal - cried all the way home and told my Dad I hated Chris Woods.

Best Memory

Play-off final '05 - amazing from start to finish and the lads I go to the matches with still reminisce about it today. 

@oh_weds_we_love_you sums the rest up perfectly. 

First Game

My father and my uncle took me to my first game in 1962, I was 4 years old, the opposition was Aston Villa, I remember nothing about that day

Highlight

Beating Manchester United at wembley

Low point

The whole of the 1974/75 season

• Like 1

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.