Night matches are always better

post-4683-0-17249900-1352247899_thumb.jpg

Sheffield Wednesday night matches are always better than afternoon ones

Whilst Saturdays at 3pm should always be the standard for matches you can't help but love the sight, sound and smell of a night match .

They're a bit colder though which makes for an interesting evening sometimes hugging a cup of overpriced tea to try and keep the fingers from dropping off 

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

not for me ... difficult to park , you hit the rush hour traffic , and we always seem to lose .........all football should be 3pm on Saturdays 

Whilst I agree about rush hour traffic, I love night matches at Hillsborough. Atmosphere always seems to be better. We did okay last season.  Off the top of my head we beat Bristol,  Barnsley,  Blackburn and Birmingham at Hillsborough, only drawing to Burton and losing to Reading it think. Away we beat Blackburn and Wigan and drew to Bristol and Cardiff. So not a bad set of results. 

I agree:

2-1 Southend

2-1 @ Blackburn

2-2 Liverpool LC

4-4 Chelsea LC

2-0 @ Derby LC

3-1 Chelsea LC

3-1 Bristol City

2-2 Kaiserslautern

4-1 Watford

2-1 @ Brentford PoSF

2-0 Brighton PoSF

All special nights - to name but a few.

Funnily, most of away matches from 70s/80s that I remember,  most were night matches. Tranmere, Carlisle, Villa Park, Old Trafford etc. Could be same thing, atmosphere. 

Mind you Carlisle could be due to being bear hugged as a skinny runt, by some big bruiser when we scored. 

One of the night games I remember with great affection was the cup replay with Burnley.Wed fought hard at turf moor,and snook a draw with Burnley shading the game and possibly feeling hard done by.

But at our place we just played Burnley off the park that night,Shelton was just brilliant on the night and hit two goals,we could have more than the 5,McCulloch got two as well and we ran the game,and a semi final at highbury.was the reward.

22 minutes ago, zico.b said:

Bet you're there for the match though :stuwinky:

Yeah I don't usually miss the game

Then I have a look on Owlstalk the next day and see people complaining because I've left the game on 90 minutes and not stayed for injury time

• Haha 1

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

I remember going all the way to Plymouth for a night match once - 1991 I think it was. It was a Tuesday night and we drove back the same night. I must have been mad. It was in the middle of winter and absolutely freezing and tango still had no shirt.