Jacob Butterfield

If he can re-discover his Huddersfield form he could be a real asset.  From those clips (and admittedly they were put together to impress, so we may have to wait and see about how consistent he can be), he seems to have the ability to pick a great defence splitting pass - and that could be just what we need to enable Rhodes to blossom.

He also looks to be able to tackle cleanly and shoot from distance.  Looks hopeful - let's hope Carlos gives him a chance and that he finds that form that he showed with Huddersfield.

Edited by Kevan

Pope might be poorly but this is from a Derby fan 

"Owlstalk are asking 

What sort of midfielder is Butterfield? Box to box? Cultured? Creative? Tough tackling? Is he that midfield beast we need? 

'Anyone fancy breaking the bad news to them....

'god knows, nope, nope, nope, nope, definitely not'

Me? I think like Bannan Sheridan Blair Chapman and a few others from the past, we might have a guy who is keen to prove a point. No question he has the attributes. Let's hope He brings the right attitude.  

16 minutes ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

Pope might be poorly but this is from a Derby fan 

"Owlstalk are asking 

What sort of midfielder is Butterfield? Box to box? Cultured? Creative? Tough tackling? Is he that midfield beast we need? 

'Anyone fancy breaking the bad news to them....

'god knows, nope, nope, nope, nope, definitely not'

Me? I think like Bannan Sheridan Blair Chapman and a few others from the past, we might have a guy who is keen to prove a point. No question he has the attributes. Let's hope He brings the right attitude.  

I hope you are right as I've seen too many staments from Derby fans along the same lines, they think they've got the best deal here.

I'd have killed for more pace, but we are where we are and like the rest of us, I hope he turns out to be great success. 

He'll an improvement on Jones, if he gets played CONSISTENTLY....and he's the right age to prove a point as you say.....

1 hour ago, heppers said:

I think it might ne an idea to watch him play then form opinions.

Revolutionary I know.

The amount of football on tele these days is surely enough to form an opinion - but, I am losing touch with it all, hence the initial question. 

Edited by AwokenGiant

Jacob has plenty of technical ability, but needs to be the fulcrum of the team I reckon if anyone is going to get the best out of him. That's how it was at Huddersfield I think. How he'll fit in with Bannon though I'm not sure.

He had a decent first season with us, scored some cracking goals, but neither Clement nor Wassall seemed to have confidence in him, and he was sometimes too negative in his play to really get the fans on his side. Last season, with all the management changes, he didn't settle at all and he's been poor so far this season. But there's a good player there somewhere. 

It would probably be best for both him and Winnall if this move works out - seems they both need a fresh start with a manager who actually wants them. 

9 minutes ago, Crewton Ram said:

Jacob has plenty of technical ability, but needs to be the fulcrum of the team I reckon if anyone is going to get the best out of him. That's how it was at Huddersfield I think. How he'll fit in with Bannon though I'm not sure.

He had a decent first season with us, scored some cracking goals, but neither Clement nor Wassall seemed to have confidence in him, and he was sometimes too negative in his play to really get the fans on his side. Last season, with all the management changes, he didn't settle at all and he's been poor so far this season. But there's a good player there somewhere. 

It would probably be best for both him and Winnall if this move works out - seems they both need a fresh start with a manager who actually wants them. 

Good balanced info. Thank you.

1 hour ago, Crewton Ram said:

Thanks for that. Do you think he was too negative because the confidence drained out of him or because he is a cautious player?

Hard to be sure which it is - didn't look all that confident when he arrived tbh, but it was rumoured that Clement wanted "possession at all costs", forgetting perhaps that we weren't Real Madrid : it seemed as though the players were scared to make a risky pass, and that perhaps contributed to Jacob appearing to be negative. 

He's never really seemed happy here though, but it's hard to pinpoint why. Rowett probably wants rid because he can't get him to move the ball quickly and that just might be Jacob's style. 

Just now, Crewton Ram said:

Hard to be sure which it is - didn't look all that confident when he arrived tbh, but it was rumoured that Clement wanted "possession at all costs", forgetting perhaps that we weren't Real Madrid : it seemed as though the players were scared to make a risky pass, and that perhaps contributed to Jacob appearing to be negative. 

He's never really seemed happy here though, but it's hard to pinpoint why. Rowett probably wants rid because he can't get him to move the ball quickly and that just might be Jacob's style. 

Well at least he's been pre-schooled in Carlos's ideology.