Jacob Butterfield

4 hours ago, Dagmeister said:

Strong lad, good passer; decent engine. Could be good for us. Let's wait and see.

Sounds like just the player we were told that we needed. Now the same people are saying he's sh ite and crying because Winnall has left. 

Just now, Royal_D said:

Lee and Butterfield could be a great partnership, 2 box to box midfielders both capable of scoring a few goals 

Hutch could be warming the bench 

Add Bannan and we've got a tidy quartet of CM's to pick from. All will be needed over the season though. The real challenge and one very much at the door of CC is getting the best out of them.

Could be a good signing this. Only basing this on the snippets I've seen but if Van Aken and Butterfield can move the ball around as it seems they can, it could be what we are looking for. Ball in to feet, picking out a good pass to release others

4 hours ago, vulva said:

Lee, Abdi, Bannan, Wallace. 

Butterfielf is a decent player, but one of the reasons Winnall has gone is that we've got other players that can do his job. 

We seem to get out priorities cockeyed. 

I dont think there are any priorities or strategy - why have we signed Butterfield when we need pace and cover at FB? 

We let a striker go who actually performed when selected.

This who episode just encapsulates how nonsensical our recruitment strategy is.

But CC will survive as he always seems to and we will continue to go nowhere fast 

Edited by Earlsfieldowl

35 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

I dont think there are any priorities or strategy - why have we signed Butterfield when we need pace and cover at FB? 

But CC will survive as he always seems to and we will continue to go nowhere fast 

Hmmm. Think it's unclear how far this transaction is a CC inspired one or not. Genuinely unclear from the outside whether he was all over it or watching from the sidelines.

Independently of that can't agree. Winnall is a good player but has done nothing to suggest a transformational one at this level. Butterfield seems to fit a recent pattern of recruitment of more confident and more aggressive ball distribution.  It may not work out but t this stage genuinely looks a good deal.  

May be good for them too.

38 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

You may be right. My main anxiety is that we seem to sign midfielders with great regularity and if they like to play wide they get told to tuck in so end effect no better because they cannot make an impact. Still think we have too many. Butterfield surely cannot be quality to be drifting from club to club.

12 minutes ago, victorturner said:

You may be right. My main anxiety is that we seem to sign midfielders with great regularity and if they like to play wide they get told to tuck in so end effect no better because they cannot make an impact. Still think we have too many. Butterfield surely cannot be quality to be drifting from club to club.

Bit like Hooper and Westwood then

He's a better passer than anyone we have imo, especially forward through balls.

He was quality at Barnsley and Udders. No idea what's happened to him at Derby but players often turn into crap there.

I think he'll be a good player. Lots of competition for that spot though, unless we do put 3 in the middle?

3 hours ago, victorturner said:

FF will be in midfield (because no room upfront)? Reach on the left? Boyd? Add Jones and Bannan. Is that five? Matias? Six? Are we in a European competition?

Players don't actually line up like a table football side. Forestieri doesn't ever play on the midfield bar or the 'upfront' bar.