SWFC Loan Watch Returns! (part one)

4 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Gillingham  0-1  Portsmouth          (att: 8,163)

The stats suggest a fair result

The live texts suggest Sean Clare made a fairly modest contribution - and was duly subbed off on 67mins

The result leaves his side second bottom and struggling tbh

So ...... did anyone watch it?

Let's see some marks out of ten   :biggrin:

Gash how poor Gills are. Clare played upfront, and was quite isolated, and received little service from his team mates.

Should have been awarded penalty in first half, but it wasn't to be.

All in all didn't do much to impress today. Hope he does better next few games.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

I'd probably look at recalling Jack Stobbs if he still isn't getting any game time in January, and send him somewhere else. Port Vale have a massive squad for that level so he may find it difficult. 

And they brought in plenty of right wingers. Not a good situation for him.

Thanks very much for this continuing great post, Ethel. It's expanded my interest into footballing "outposts" I'd rarely given much thought to. (Did you know, for example, that Accrington's heavy clay produced the "iron bricks" used in building Blackpool Tower and the Empire State Building?)  In fact, to the extent that it led me to Priestfield yesterday as I was visiting relatives in north Kent.

First thing that crossed my mind was, are the clubs our youngsters go out to being carefully vetted first for suitability for the player's skillset? (Matt Penney at Bradford last season and Jack Stobbs at Port Vale this season spring to mind). I've seen quite a lot of Sean Clare with the U23s over the last couple of years and rate him highly. Tall, strong (definitely not lightweight in the tackle, Not Jon), athletic,  pacey, driving runs from midfield, football intelligence, and above all comfortable and composed on the ball. In short, wasted on a dire hoofball team like Gillingham that couldn't pass water! And that seems to be the general consensus among fans around me at the ground yesterday and on the Gillingham fans forums -- that he's highly rated, but wasted in this team.

And if you think Carlos gets pelters on this site, have a gander at what Gills fans think about caretaker manager Peter Taylor's grimly negative team set-up (effectively, five at the back, and clog it aimlessly forward) and baffling substitutions during games. Hard to believe he was once so highly rated as England Under-21s manager. Of course, it's compounded by players low on quality, and even lower on confidence, getting shut of the ball as far away as possible, as though it's a pinless hand grenade.

Back to Clare, being able to see the whole pitch yesterday rather than a TV screen, it was evident that he was constantly looking for space and showing to get the ball to feet,  but he might as well  have been the net on Centre Court. One of the few times he was able to get on the ball and run at the defence he had a good shout for a pen turned down. (http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/league-one).

Must be very frustrating. But, having said all that, it's still a valuable learning experience for our youngsters dealing with the physicality of "men's football", in front of passionate crowds not slow to tell them what they think of them, and with blokes playing to pay their mortgages (it's not big dosh and flash cars at this level). Far cry from the more sedate world of the U23s  -- and something the club should do far more to facilitate if it's serious about trying to progress our talented youngsters into  first team reckoning. If nothing else, League experience increases their value to the club if they do move on and a fee is set by a tribunal.

In the meantime, can anyone help me to get back the two hours of my life I lost at Priestfield yesterday?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

I'd probably look at recalling Jack Stobbs if he still isn't getting any game time in January, and send him somewhere else. Port Vale have a massive squad for that level so he may find it difficult. 

he cant get a look in at the club that's bottom of the league so unlikely too many( if any) would want him ........think if he wants to make a career for himself he needs up his game and start impressing whoever is in charge there .

34 minutes ago, torryowl said:

he cant get a look in at the club that's bottom of the league so unlikely too many( if any) would want him ........think if he wants to make a career for himself he needs up his game and start impressing whoever is in charge there .

Not always as simple as that though, right place right time. I'd even send him to the Conference, standard isn't much different to lower end of League Two. 

3 hours ago, torryowl said:

Maybe Port Vale's precarious position is part of the problem

I'd imagine it's easier to make a good impression in a side that's playing well and winning games

Same applies with Gillingham - both sides struggling and both have changed their managers before completing a quarter of the season

Which, imo, makes Sean Clare's performances all the more creditable

8 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Maybe Port Vale's precarious position is part of the problem

I'd imagine it's easier to make a good impression in a side that's playing well and winning games

Same applies with Gillingham - both sides struggling and both have changed their managers before completing a quarter of the season

Which, imo, makes Sean Clare's performances all the more creditable

your probably right but a side that's playing well and winning games may not want him ......stobbs as it all to do if he wants a career in football and playing for what at this time is the worst side in the league and being unable to crack a place doesn't bode well for him .

12 minutes ago, torryowl said:

your probably right but a side that's playing well and winning games may not want him ......stobbs as it all to do if he wants a career in football and playing for what at this time is the worst side in the league and being unable to crack a place doesn't bode well for him .

By the same token, Port Vale probably considered themselves as leading promotion contenders when they signed him

But I agree, if Jack wants a career in football then he'll need to get his head down and deal with this situation in a professional manner

On 08/10/2017 at 19:12, Not Jon Newsome said:

On 08/10/2017 at 19:17, malek said:

And they brought in plenty of right wingers. Not a good situation for him.

Not sure what rules are about recalling loan players.  Stobbs is on full season so would they be able to recall in January? Rotherham last season recalled a player from a loan las season early but they were then not able to play him in the first team.  I don't think that would effect Stobbs as his chances are very slim so perhaps he could return and continue in the U23s or go out again in January.

If he's on a youth loan he doesn't need to be recalled - just come back and play u23 football - but i don't think the club should let him take the easy option tbh

But i agree with torry - unless he's injured there should be no reason whatever he isn't at least getting in the squad other than he is just not impressing enough in training

Hopefully he'll be learning the harsh lessons

Edited by scram

Just now, scram said:

If he's on a youth loan he doesn't need to be recalled - just come back and play u23 football

But i agree with torry - unless he's injured there should be no reason whatever he isn't at least getting in the squad other than he is just not impressing enough in training

I forgot about the youth loan scenario.  He qualifies age wise for one because I checked the laws for a prev topic but I never saw it stated when he joined Port Vale.  If he has gone under the terms of a standard loan he may be stuck but not sure if all age qualified players loans are 'youth'.

21 hours ago, Olibeak said:

Must be very frustrating. But, having said all that, it's still a valuable learning experience for our youngsters dealing with the physicality of "men's football", in front of passionate crowds not slow to tell them what they think of them, and with blokes playing to pay their mortgages (it's not big dosh and flash cars at this level). Far cry from the more sedate world of the U23s  -- and something the club should do far more to facilitate if it's serious about trying to progress our talented youngsters into  first team reckoning. If nothing else, League experience increases their value to the club if they do move on and a fee is set by a tribunal.

In the meantime, can anyone help me to get back the two hours of my life I lost at Priestfield yesterday?

By Jove he's got it!

Excellent points - but disagree with you about matching the club to the players supposed strengths and playing style - that is a small part fo why a player should be on loan

And lets face it that generally a club has to take what loans it get for its players - beggars can't be choosers

3 minutes ago, scram said:

If he's on a youth loan he doesn't need to be recalled - just come back and play u23 football

There are plenty examples of players from higher leagues not being able to get into a lower league side when on loan.  We did it with Agbonlahor, Lewis Baker, Benik Afobe.  Agbonlahor couldn't get on the bench towards the end of his yet a couple of years later was playing for England!

Some loans come with all sorts of strings attached

Like ... who pays the wages, financial penalties for non-selection etc

Harry Redknapp was on about this pre-season

I remember Pardew recalling Tavernier because Megson wanted to play him on the wing, as opposed to full back

I suspect Barkley was 'required' to play every game - even though his input at the time wasn't exactly positive (results-wise)

When Barkley joined L**ds, Colin wasn't having any of that and Everton recalled him like a shot

Rodri, Baker, Hope etc etc were returned/recalled because they weren't getting the required game time

There may be some agreed recall option for Stobbs, Clare and Thorniley - if things don't work out

But surely the object for them is to join a senior squad and compete for a starting place